Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume Rewrite from Indeed
I had been editing the same resume document since I graduated in 1997.  Starting over seemed like a daunting task, so I decided to give the resume writing service through Indeed a try.  The cost I think was $89 which was a LOT cheaper than other services that I have seen over the years.  I sent them my resume and my LinkedIn profile link.  The thing that I found interesting was that they put my oldest work history under “Additional Experience” without dates.   They said it was to prevent ageism.  This was new to me.  I also noticed that they left off the dates of my Bachelors and Paralegal Certificate.  (I would guess for the same reason).  They included the expected graduation date for the MBA that I am just now starting and included my “badges” that were on my profile.  (I might not keep all of them). But this is how they listed my education…

Master of Business Administration, Human Resources, Jack Welch Management Institute, 2024
Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Minor in Psychology, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
Certificate, Paralegal, Gannon University
Education Law: Responsibilities and Protections, National Paralegal College, 2022
Google Workspace Specialization, Coursera, 2022
Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification, Advanced Innovation Group Pro Excellence (AIGPE), 2021
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Workplace, USF Corporate Training / Professional Education, 2021
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • katsiki, rachel83az
I totally understand the ageism thing. It does seem weird that years are included for degrees and not others. Someone will notice that. This may make it look like you're trying to hide those years to some. Might be better off not including them at all and saying your MBA is in progress. Depending on what field you're in listing all of the certificates isn't necessary. Like if you're not going into anything that's law related leaving off the paralegal certificate is one way to lose something without the year. How long ago was your bachelor's degree?
My domestic violence advocate friend does resume writing for a living and does EXCELLENT work. Full resume and a cover letter template for $100. Her name is Janna Leadbetter if anyone is interested in contacting her. She's a real pro.
janna@womandetermined.com
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(06-22-2022, 01:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I totally understand the ageism thing. It does seem weird that years are included for degrees and not others. Someone will notice that. This may make it look like you're trying to hide those years to some. Might be better off not including them at all and saying your MBA is in progress. Depending on what field you're in listing all of the certificates isn't necessary. Like if you're not going into anything that's law related leaving off the paralegal certificate is one way to lose something without the year. How long ago was your bachelor's degree?

My bachelor’s degree was in 1997.  By the time I’d earn my MBA, I will be about 50.   Exclamation
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

I would remove the "extra" fluff I already see in the resume, you want to keep it very condensed and concise, basically short and sweet. Example (if it is not going to be part of the requirements for the new jobs you're looking at), remove the certs such as the Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification, Advanced Innovation Group Pro Excellence (AIGPE), 2021
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-22-2022, 02:02 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 01:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I totally understand the ageism thing. It does seem weird that years are included for degrees and not others. Someone will notice that. This may make it look like you're trying to hide those years to some. Might be better off not including them at all and saying your MBA is in progress. Depending on what field you're in listing all of the certificates isn't necessary. Like if you're not going into anything that's law related leaving off the paralegal certificate is one way to lose something without the year. How long ago was your bachelor's degree?

My bachelor’s degree was in 1997.  By the time I’d earn my MBA, I will be about 50.   Exclamation

Oh yeah I wouldn't want 1997 and then 2022. It will definitely show your age which is a huge bummer. I feel old just typing 1997! LOL I was supposed to graduate from college that year....how that would have ever worked with going to community college first I don't know. Once I finally did finish my associate degree I would have had to attend a private school to be a junior. State schools would make me a second semester freshman which was complete nonsense.
(06-22-2022, 02:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would remove the "extra" fluff I already see in the resume, you want to keep it very condensed and concise, basically short and sweet.  Example (if it is not going to be part of the requirements for the new jobs you're looking at), remove the certs such as the Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification, Advanced Innovation Group Pro Excellence (AIGPE), 2021

Oh yeah, most of that I will probably remove.  I will have to see how much “white space’ that leaves behind.  Her version shifted me to two pages.  I had always tried to keep it to one page
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 1,535 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,098 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,048 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,566 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 6,362 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,281 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 3,423 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads
  Resume Question rlw74 8 2,249 07-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cookderosa