Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retaking a course for a second degree?
After the conferral of the first Bachelor's, the schools say you need 24 or 30 new credits. Is it possible to retake the same course months later and get credit?

For example, someone takes Business Communications, then graduates with a Business degree. Months or years later, they want a Communications degree, and there aren't lots of cheap credits. So they want to take Business Communications somewhere else, or something very similar.

I think I have heard of this being done, but I'm not sure the situation was the same (two Bachelor's).

Sure you can take the same course over. You'll get credit for one course. This is a terrible idea. Don't waste your money.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
TESU requires that the 24 credits are NEW to the second degree.
Other schools require that 30 credits would be NEW for the second degree as well.
If you really want to use the class again, get permission from the school.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Cosc will allow you to graduate simultaneously, itll save you the 24 credits.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:Cosc will allow you to graduate simultaneously, itll save you the 24 credits.

TESU too, but both are only when it's from the same division of the school Sad It would be so much easier if that rule were gone.

videogamesrock Wrote:Cosc will allow you to graduate simultaneously, itll save you the 24 credits.

Now if COSC was that awesome, that would be cool. Only thing is, their courses for transfer aren't as well known as TESU.
I like the fact they allow FEMA, but those UL course are going to be expensive... *sigh* it's going to be a hard decision.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ideas Wrote:After the conferral of the first Bachelor's, the schools say you need 24 or 30 new credits. Is it possible to retake the same course months later and get credit?

For example, someone takes Business Communications, then graduates with a Business degree. Months or years later, they want a Communications degree, and there aren't lots of cheap credits. So they want to take Business Communications somewhere else, or something very similar.

I think I have heard of this being done, but I'm not sure the situation was the same (two Bachelor's).

In this example I would actually say YES this COULD work. The reason I say this is because I took Business Comm at a CC and transferred it to TESU but it came into TESU as a 200 level course. If you were to take the Upper Level version I think it could be counted separately?
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yes you can do this at TESU to refresh old credits with new ones to rack up the 24 credits. There is a bit of risk that it won't work out.

If it is at TESU, the retaken course will probably be the one that counts as long as it's equal to or better than the old credits. There are a few circumstances where it won't count. For example, if you have an A in statistics from before that was worth 4 credits and take ALEKS for 3 non-graded new credits, the ALEKS credit will not count since the graded course is superior in several ways. I don't know if advising or registrar will override this.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Ok, good to know. My second degree is more likely to be at COSC, but TESU is possible.

What are TESU/COSC's opinion about working on a degree from each of them at the same time? And how far apart can their graduations be? As in, you graduated from TESU a month ago, so it's no longer "concurrent" at cosc, it is just a "second degree"
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 692 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 291 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 652 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,807 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 585 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 520 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 291 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 882 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,252 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,847 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74