Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ridiculously Easy Associates Degree - Purdue University Global
(09-25-2021, 12:03 AM)learning_spree Wrote: Why isn't this more popular on this forum? Is there any catch? If we can complete the Bachelors of Professional Studies under $5000(2700+2200) with IT electives that come from easy sources, why people are reluctant to take these? I am very curious to know. I am planning for BA Comp Sci. from TESU and this looks like a better option than that.

I'm guessing that 1) people who can do a bunch of IT certs can probably complete a PUG ExcelTrack degree for $2500 in 1 term, or $5000 in 2 terms; and 2) they also want an actual IT degree rather than a BPS degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jsd, rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com, ss20ts
I think you're right - assuming the actual IT degree is as generous and liberal with accepting IT certs as the BSPr program is (can somebody report back on this?) It would be preferable in the job market to have a BSIT than it would a BSPr. A degree in something is usually better than a degree in "Professional Studies."

Now ....maybe somebody needs a generic box-check degree, but really isn't into IT enough to take the in-residence IT core. Maybe they want the box-check degree, and would prefer to study history, art, underwater basket weaving or whathaveyou... but in order to shorten the time/money commitment, they load up on free elective credits with a handful of the easier IT certs to fill out the degree requirements, do challenge exams to complete the rest, and graduate very quickly and pretty affordably while avoiding writing a lot of papers.
If that's what they're after, the PUG BSPr Individualized Study option might just fit the bill. Similar price range as a UMPI BLS but with a lot less writing papers.
(09-26-2021, 05:30 PM)raycathode Wrote: I think you're right - assuming the actual IT degree is as generous and liberal with accepting IT certs as the BSPr program is (can somebody report back on this?) It would be preferable in the job market to have a BSIT than it would a BSPr. A degree in something is usually better than a degree in "Professional Studies."

Now ....maybe somebody needs a generic box-check degree, but really isn't into IT enough to take the in-residence IT core. Maybe they want the box-check degree, and would prefer to study history, art, underwater basket weaving or whathaveyou... but in order to shorten the time/money commitment, they load up on free elective credits with a handful of the easier IT certs to fill out the degree requirements, do challenge exams to complete the rest, and graduate very quickly and pretty affordably while avoiding writing a lot of papers.
If that's what they're after, the PUG BSPr Individualized Study option might just fit the bill. Similar price range as a UMPI BLS but with a lot less writing papers.

This is really just another option like a BSLS/BLS/BALS from COSC/EC/TESU - but possibly for less.

Since you still have to take 45qcr from PurdueGlobal, I'm not sure how you can say that it's less work than UMPI - my daughter is taking courses at PurdueGlobal, and she's writing papers weekly.  They're not onerous in length, but it's for LL courses, so we don't yet know what the UL coursework looks like.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(09-26-2021, 05:30 PM)raycathode Wrote: I think you're right - assuming the actual IT degree is as generous and liberal with accepting IT certs as the BSPr program is (can somebody report back on this?) It would be preferable in the job market to have a BSIT than it would a BSPr. A degree in something is usually better than a degree in "Professional Studies."

Many people complete their UMPI degree in two terms which is $2800 and a few in 1 term which is $1400. Much less than PUG. We also only have 1 paper per class unlike PUG which has 1 paper or more per 1 credit in the ExcelTrack. This week my husband is working on a 1 credit course from PUG and it's 2 papers and a project. He's in the Analytics ExcelTrack bachelor's degree. He has faaaaaaaaar more papers and projects than I did at UMPI.
While the concentrations are not required, the supply chain logistics and industrial/organizational psychology options are pretty neat and not the most common options available elsewhere. Trouble is, they require 4 courses for each of the concentrations, none of which are available through the PANEL exams. So, you are most likely going to have to pay extra tuition to be able to complete those.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-26-2021, 09:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

This is really just another option like a BSLS/BLS/BALS from COSC/EC/TESU - but possibly for less.

Since you still have to take 45qcr from PurdueGlobal, I'm not sure how you can say that it's less work than UMPI - my daughter is taking courses at PurdueGlobal, and she's writing papers weekly.  They're not onerous in length, but it's for LL courses, so we don't yet know what the UL coursework looks like.

I would like to add that I asked her about the papers, and she said that she feels like she learns the material much better from writing papers, so she's not minding it at all.  She's learning how to whip them out, for sure.

For someone who does not enjoy taking exams, this is really working for her (she's getting A's on both courses).

But if you were trying to speed through a course and "test out", you may not be happy with this school.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(09-27-2021, 02:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-26-2021, 09:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I would like to add that I asked her about the papers, and she said that she feels like she learns the material much better from writing papers, so she's not minding it at all.  She's learning how to whip them out, for sure.

For someone who does not enjoy taking exams, this is really working for her (she's getting A's on both courses).

But if you were trying to speed through a course and "test out", you may not be happy with this school.

There's a difference between the BSPr Individualized Study vs. ExcelTrack. ExcelTrack has a lot of writing. Individualized Study lets you knock out a surprising number of classes with a single challenge exam each. 
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
(09-27-2021, 04:31 PM)raycathode Wrote: There's a difference between the BSPr Individualized Study vs. ExcelTrack. ExcelTrack has a lot of writing. Individualized Study lets you knock out a surprising number of classes with a single challenge exam each. 
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

What was that supposed to be?
I sent the OP an email but just in case anyone has the answers....

"Minus the 30 credits you have to do for the generals, and a flat rate of $200 a month, you can get all of your Associates' level courses from W3 School's PHP certificate (the answers are published in study guides) and the TEEX cyber security credit."

I'm trying to figure this out for someone else. (I'm at UMPI currently.) While I'm well-versed in Sophia, SDC, IC, etc... the IT certificate/credit and PUG are brand new to me. I'm wondering if someone has this equivalent drawn out or might be willing to? I'm trying to match up on the websites and just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

First, is this the Associates being discussed: https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...echnology/

The person I'm helping has a handful of RA credits, so I'm trying to get an idea of exactly what he would need to do to go this route. Thanks for anyone who can help!
(10-05-2021, 08:20 AM)jadkins77 Wrote: I sent the OP an email but just in case anyone has the answers....

"Minus the 30 credits you have to do for the generals, and a flat rate of $200 a month, you can get all of your Associates' level courses from W3 School's PHP certificate (the answers are published in study guides) and the TEEX cyber security credit."

I'm trying to figure this out for someone else. (I'm at UMPI currently.) While I'm well-versed in Sophia, SDC, IC, etc... the IT certificate/credit and PUG are brand new to me. I'm wondering if someone has this equivalent drawn out or might be willing to? I'm trying to match up on the websites and just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

First, is this the Associates being discussed: https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...echnology/

The person I'm helping has a handful of RA credits, so I'm trying to get an idea of exactly what he would need to do to go this route. Thanks for anyone who can help!

W3 Schools PHP cert:
https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_exam.asp

IT Cert Transfer
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...ion-exams/

ACE Credit Exams, includes some popular CLEPS:
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...sessments/

Purdue ASK credit exams:
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...sessments/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • neutrino, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,273 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,505 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 336 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 411 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,327 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,259 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 251 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,992 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,640 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 758 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP