Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL IT Fundamentals
Hi everyone, 

Didn't see too much information on this course on here so I thought I'd add. I'll just start off by saying I've worked in the IT field for nearly 10 years and I found this course pretty annoying. 
I mostly just skimmed through chapters quickly to see what type of stuff they were going to ask and then took the test. While the content was easy enough and I did pretty good, I found a lot of the questions to be worded vaguely and the amount of drawing the proverbial line in the sand was far too much. 

One example of what I mean when I say "vague" is the answer would change depending on the context or situation, but you aren't provided any extra information about the situation. So you're left kinda guessing as to what they want. Also taking a more or less gray area and then taking a hard line on it or other questions where it's basically arguing semantics. 

Sometimes the questions sounded like technobabble lol. I think they tried to introduce technical terms and "shop talk", but then used it in awkward ways that sounds like a non-technical person is trying to explain something technical. 

The content is overall what I'd expect from this type of course; giving a run-down on various roles in IT, basic computer hardware/networking, along with the history of computers. Though I would say that it doesn't match reality too well in several sections, unfortunately. 
I would say to pay attention to key words (which a lot of time's aren't bolded. Just in the walls of text), and how they use them. I think as long as you understand the principals you should be able to do alright though. 

Also the final exam for this course included a lot of specific questions about technology/terms that weren't on any of the previous exams.
A lot of the tests are based on the material they use as the source rather than based on real-world perspectives. I saw the same kind of thing with some of the SDC courses. Because of that, you can't always trust your experience will be enough since they may take a different approach than you're used to. Skimming may be enough for some, but it won't be enough for all courses. It is annoying, but that is what it is.

That said, you only need a 70% to pass, so even if you only get 70% of the stuff right because of all the weird tangents they go off on, that should still be enough to pass.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
That course was very easy..lol
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fundamentals of Project Management? sambam0812 1 579 10-02-2020, 04:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SL -- IT Fundamentals a2jc4life 15 4,033 10-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Fundamentals of Cybersecurity DSST RRMIKE 5 2,594 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does anyone know if WGU accepts IT Fundamentals from Straighterline? Kirsten 3 1,440 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SL Computer Courses: Information Tech Fundamentals and Intro to Programming Comp C++ hoffdeb 3 999 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Last Post: hoffdeb