Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SGLOER: BACK Button in Instantcert
Hi,

I hope I can explain this adequately...

In the old version of Instantcert, clicking the BACK button simply took you back to the previous page. However, in the new version it takes you back all the way to the question BEFORE the one you are currently answering.

This is a problem because usually, if I misspell an answer, or if I want to update my answer, I merely want to go to the page immediately before the one I am on, and NOT the question before the one I am currently answering (Eg, 2 or even 3 pages back).

In addition, hitting the BACK button in my browser just brings up a "Page Has Expired" error. As a result, it is not even possible to go back to the last page that way

So basically, every single time I want to go back just one page, I have to go all the way back to the previous question and work my way back to where I want to be.

Is there any way to make the BACK button function as it used to under the old system (just go back to whatever the last page was)? Or are we stuck with this new BACK method that actually jumps further back than needed?

I would appreciate it if you could look into this issue.

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag
We haven't made any changes to the test engine in over a year; we've only changed the authentication system.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but why would you need to go back just one page, instead of one full question? Can't you update your answer right there on the page you're currently on?
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:We haven't made any changes to the test engine in over a year; we've only changed the authentication system.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but why would you need to go back just one page, instead of one full question? Can't you update your answer right there on the page you're currently on?

Hi,

There are many times while going through a subject where an answer, that is technically correct, is not accepted by the software for minor infractions in spelling. A recent example, I answered "bisexual" and the correct answer (according to the software) was "bisexuals". In such cases, my answer is registered as being incorrect and so I must go back one page and fix my answer.

In the above scenario (which happens a lot), if I hit the BACK button in the software, it doesn't take me back one page. Instead, it takes me all the way back to the question BEFORE the one I am answering.

Until recently, I was able to click the BACK button in my browser to avoid this problem. But for some reason, this trick no longer works and instead of getting the previous page, I get a "Page has Expired" error. This has only happened since the new authentication system was implemented.

This is not a huge deal...but it makes it inconvenient and more time consuming to have to go back 2 or 3 pages (to the previous question - which I have already answered) and then work my way back to where I want to be.

If I don't go back and fix my answer, it is counted as incorrect and that messes up my score and thus makes it hard to measure my improvement on successive run-throughs of each topic. That is the only reason that this issue is a pain.

Don't lose any sleep over it, but I thought I would let you know just in case there was a simple fix.

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag
OK, I'll check into this and see if there's an easy fix.

In the meantime, I believe you can just press the Back button on your browser, and then click Refresh when it gives you the Page has expired error.

Also, you really shouldn't be too concerned with your score on our materials since it is meaningless--often, it is information within the explanations themselves that will help you pass the test.
--
Steve
Steve, you know what I've always wondered is if y'all had disabled the use of the backspace key as the keyboard shortcut for the back button. I use IE and it's my habit to use it instead of grabbing my mouse, navigating over to it and clicking back. I'm usually on my keyboard since I'm typing in my usually incorrect answer and it's more natural for me to want to use the shortcut.

... just curious, if you don't know off the top of your head, don't worry about it. I know you've mentioned that you hadn't changed the engine in a while. If I've slept since I did something I've forgotten it. Smile
The "backspace" key as a shortcut has limited use because it typically won't work when your cursor is inside of a textbox.

From my experience, pressing "ALT+LEFT_ARROW" is the guaranteed way to go back on your browser regardless of what your cursor is doing.

So when I'm playing around with the test-engine, I don't like to take my hands off the keyboard either, so if I absolutely have to go back one screen, I'll use ALT+LEFT ARROW to go back, and then CTRL+R to refresh...
--
Steve
Groovy, thanks, Steve. Appreciate the tip!
Alright, the programmer made some changes, and it looks like the browser's back button works again.

Let me know if it works for you, and if it introduced any new problems, please let me know...
--
Steve
Cool! This wasn't a major concern of mine, but it was annoying that it would attempt to resend the information and made you click "OK" before you could continue. Now it just shows the previously entered information without requiring a reload. Much better.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Back pain exercises (PRO) - FREE bjcheung77 2 1,278 01-20-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Rexona
  I've lost access to the "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY" group Nerdymcnerdface 9 3,598 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Zham
  Personality types and those who go back to school Ideas 25 3,619 06-18-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  Instantcert mobile app??? mlwilliamsiv 1 1,754 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Report Button sanantone 8 2,005 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  I'm back baby! ryoder 6 2,678 11-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  Question concerning ALEKS, Instantcert Shenny 4 1,578 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Shenny
  Delete InstantCert Posts Clarebugg 9 2,513 10-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  InstantCert Ranks Clarebugg 4 1,535 10-06-2016, 09:45 PM