Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL Business Statistics for math credit at CSU
I’m attending Columbia Southern University and taking College Algebra through SL. It’s not going well. I’m considering switching to Business Statistics because I’ve seen some posts around the internet saying their college took it for an intro to statistics credit. 
I’m just wondering if anyone has taken Business Statistics and had it accepted by CSU. On the CSU website it states that college algebra is a pre-requisite for the class, but I’ve transferred in credit for classes where I hadn’t taken the listed pre-requisite class. I also recently enrolled in a class and my advisor came back and said I couldn’t take it until I had taken the pre-requisite class, so it’s a little confusing and I don’t want to spend the extra money to take a class I might not be able to transfer. 
I’m going to check with the evaluator tomorrow, but sometimes they’re weird about giving info on credits since it has to be approved by another department, they can’t always say for sure. So, if anyone has done it, I’d love to hear about it.
Business Statistics at most schools comes in as a business course not a math course. Introduction to Statistics would come in as a math course. Yes, you need algebra for either statistics courses. There's great deal of formulas and calculations. Sophia.org has both math classes for free until the 31st.
(07-14-2020, 06:32 PM)Bpreli Wrote: I’m attending Columbia Southern University and taking College Algebra through SL. It’s not going well. I’m considering switching to Business Statistics because I’ve seen some posts around the internet saying their college took it for an intro to statistics credit. 
I’m just wondering if anyone has taken Business Statistics and had it accepted by CSU. On the CSU website it states that college algebra is a pre-requisite for the class, but I’ve transferred in credit for classes where I hadn’t taken the listed pre-requisite class. I also recently enrolled in a class and my advisor came back and said I couldn’t take it until I had taken the pre-requisite class, so it’s a little confusing and I don’t want to spend the extra money to take a class I might not be able to transfer. 
I’m going to check with the evaluator tomorrow, but sometimes they’re weird about giving info on credits since it has to be approved by another department, they can’t always say for sure. So, if anyone has done it, I’d love to hear about it.

My advice to you is drop the SL algebra and go the Sophia route.. as previously posted Stats and Algebra are free-99 until the 31st.. 

Stats is its own different kind of special.. not necessarily "easier" just not as order oriented as Algebra...

With any math course notes and videos (youtube) are literally your best friends,  Khan academy is o.k. but some of their instructors tend to "drone" in the videos (think of the monotone visine commercial guy).. but there are plenty of other easy to follow resources... 

With algebra in particular-  O-O-O Order Of Operations... miss a single step and the entire problem is f**ked, so take your time, take notes, take some more time, and pass your algebra course!

Good Luck!
(07-14-2020, 08:38 PM)CableGuy98 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 06:32 PM)Bpreli Wrote: I’m attending Columbia Southern University and taking College Algebra through SL. It’s not going well. I’m considering switching to Business Statistics because I’ve seen some posts around the internet saying their college took it for an intro to statistics credit. 

My advice to you is drop the SL algebra and go the Sophia route.. as previously posted Stats and Algebra are free-99 until the 31st.. 

Stats is its own different kind of special.. not necessarily "easier" just not as order oriented as Algebra...

With any math course notes and videos (youtube) are literally your best friends,  Khan academy is o.k. but some of their instructors tend to "drone" in the videos (think of the monotone visine commercial guy).. but there are plenty of other easy to follow resources... 

With algebra in particular-  O-O-O Order Of Operations... miss a single step and the entire problem is f**ked, so take your time, take notes, take some more time, and pass your algebra course!

Good Luck!

PEMDAS! 

Guess who's taking College Algebra right now at Sophia and PEMDAS is repeated over and over and over. I'm probably saying it in my sleep. LOL
(07-15-2020, 10:23 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

Good Luck!

PEMDAS! 

Guess who's taking College Algebra right now at Sophia and PEMDAS is repeated over and over and over. I'm probably saying it in my sleep. LOL
Thank y’all! 

I was solving the math problems without much issue, but some of the textbook material was just melting my brain. 

My advisor got back to me and let me know that Business Statistics will transfer for an Intro to Statistics class, and that I didn’t have to take college algebra since it’s a transfer credit. If I had tried to take the statistics class with my school, they would require I take algebra first, but will accept it as a transfer credit. So that knocks out my math requirement. Business statistics is much easier and I expect to finish it in a day or two.
(07-15-2020, 12:47 PM)Bpreli Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 10:23 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

Good Luck!

PEMDAS! 

Thank y’all! 

I was solving the math problems without much issue, but some of the textbook material was just melting my brain. 

My advisor got back to me and let me know that Business Statistics will transfer for an Intro to Statistics class, and that I didn’t have to take college algebra since it’s a transfer credit. If I had tried to take the statistics class with my school, they would require I take algebra first, but will accept it as a transfer credit. So that knocks out my math requirement. Business statistics is much easier and I expect to finish it in a day or two.

Algebra before any stats class is always a wise move in my experience. This is stuff we forget since we don't use it regularly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 300 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,393 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 497 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 2,969 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,784 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,517 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader