Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL Macroeconomics
So I purchased SL macroeconomics and it seems to have been revised since the information I read on here about it. There are 10 quizzes plus the midterm. Way more quizzes than a usual course. And the closed book final is still worth 300 points (out of 1000) so no help there. I took the first quiz and about 7 of the questions were word problems where you have to look at data and calculate an answer. Even though I read the chapter several times, the information was not clear and it was super difficult for me to figure out exactly what to do. I am considering dropping this class and taking it elsewhere. I can't imagine being able to get high marks on the quizzes if the textbook is not clearly related to the questions.

Hi Mab, I had difficulty with the course also. I switched to Business Law until I could come up with an alternative. I am considering
the Onlinedegree.com economics course and maybe even Sophia.
I did study.com macro and micro, found the courses ok, passed both on the first try without studying, not by a big margin tho. If you can pick the "rhythm" with study.com courses, they can be quite fast. You can do both in a month, in my opinion.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
The SL Econ courses used to have 24 quizzes if I remember correctly. So 10 seems like a major improvement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I did both Macro and Micro at Study.com after getting annoyed with Straighterline's versions, I would recommend them over Straighterline.
I also started the Macro course at SL and felt it was 'tricky'. So I switched to Study and so far so good. Good luck!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes scout2family's post:
  • Mab81
Thank you everyone, I am glad it's not just me.

Straighterline was very kind and allowed me to 'return' macroeconomics for store credit.

(11-26-2018, 05:07 PM)Mab81 Wrote: So I purchased SL macroeconomics and it seems to have been revised since the information I read on here about it. There are 10 quizzes plus the midterm. Way more quizzes than a usual course. And the closed book final is still worth 300 points (out of 1000) so no help there. I took the first quiz and about 7 of the questions were word problems where you have to look at data and calculate an answer. Even though I read the chapter several times, the information was not clear and it was super difficult for me to figure out exactly what to do. I am considering dropping this class and taking it elsewhere. I can't imagine being able to get high marks on the quizzes if the textbook is not clearly related to the questions.

My sons took that a couple years ago, so I can't help you with the specifics, it's been too long- BUT- go back and see where the content came from, it has to come from somewhere. Remember there is the book, the spoken part of the videos but also the clickable links instead those videos (a pain) see if you can find it. If you can't find it, they may have made a mistake during this revision!! Perhaps the questions were put in the wrong chapter- it could happen. So, I would first make a point of looking for the content. If it's not lined up- you need to contact them asap to fix it and ask for a credit so you can drop this class and take something else.

Now, if it IS there, you can retake quiz 1, so just retake it. Then for quiz 2 pay attention to whatever part it was taught in (because it will probably will be the same again for all the quizzes- some rely on the book, others the video, etc). Also, double check if it's open book, I'm 99% sure that it is, so if that is true- for SURE use that!!!! You can have your text open in another tab, even the lecture. Use everything available to you.

EDIT to add: I just looked up both of my son's scores- they were both in the lower 70's. So doable- but not easy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other New Shmoop courses: Macroeconomics,Microeconomics,Cost Accounting nosey561 4 1,590 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Micro/Macroeconomics Mab81 1 887 11-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  SL Macroeconomics--I had no idea it would be this hard. KAnn 16 4,328 04-19-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Microeconomics / Macroeconomics allvia 3 1,640 12-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  fastest Macroeconomics option ajs1976 2 1,899 07-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor Macroeconomics and Microeconomics Feedback needed mlwilliamsiv 1 1,208 01-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Albertson.bill
  SL's Macroeconomics Course Synicaal 10 2,029 12-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Last Post: inf