Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing the Right PhD Program Education / Hospitality (online)
Hello everyone Smile ,

I'm looking to start my PhD journey and need some advice on choosing the right program that fits my situation. I've been delaying this for too long and am ready to begin as soon as possible.

So far my best option is a PhD in education from Manipal Nxt university.

Below is a summary of my background and what I'm looking for in a PhD program:

Your Location: Switzerland / Italy

Your Age: 36

What kind of degree do you want?: PhD (No DBA, no Professional Doctorates) in either education, eLearning, or tourism/hospitality-related field. I'm open to suggestion (like something related to sustainability that i can match with hospitality)

Current Regional Accredited Credits: I have a BSc with honors from Italy (180 ECTS Credits), an MSc in food science from the UK (180 ECTS Credits), a PGcert in Higher Education from a UK university (60 ECTS), and another UK undergraduate degree worth 20 ECTS Credits.

Any certifications or military experience? No

Budget: I have a maximum budget of $20-25K over 5 years. I'd like to go the cheapest route possible but will consider spending more for good recognition.

Commitments: I currently work full-time as a teacher in a private school (hospitality related) and can work on my studies part-time or in the evenings/weekends.

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed.

Timeline: 3 to a maximum of 4 years would be ideal.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Payment in installments would be ideal.

Travel: I can travel 1-2 times during the 3-4 years of the degree if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for helping me navigate this decision!
Iowa State University offers a low-residency hybrid PhD in Hospitality Management. It exceeds your budget but hits your primary field directly. 72 nominal credit hours, but "Up to 30 credit hours may be accepted from the master’s degree coursework, depending on types of courses taken and fit with your goals." 42 x 716 = 30072 tuition.

You might also look at the Texas Tech University PhD in Family and Consumer Sciences Education, Old Dominion University PhD in Education with concentration in Workforce and Organizational Development, and University of South Florida PhD in Curriculum and Instruction with concentration in Career and Workforce Education.
@Frost87b3, Besides the Manipal program, have you looked at anything more? Did you research other institutions in India, Malaysia, Philippines, or the ones within the grad section of this forum? BTW, Is the Manipal program online or butt-in-seat? I don't recall they have an online option for that...

OK, nevermind... they do have an online option, I think we were just focused on the DBA and missed that previously... What's the cost to the program, I couldn't find it...

Programs, all are Business except for the PhD in Education: https://globalnxt.edu.my/program/
And this is their accreditation page, noticed they're a member, not accredited by AACSB: https://globalnxt.edu.my/accreditations-associations/
Wow, their DBA and PhD Education can be done in 2 years if you have the right combo... Link: https://globalnxt.edu.my/accreditation-o...ning-apel/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@Jonathan Whatley Thanks for the info. I prefer to avoid US universities as I find them very expensive. I did contact Iowa State University because that program would be perfect for me. But due to personal circumstances, it's very complicated for me to travel to the US, even for 1-2 times over 4 years. Much easier in Eastern Europe or Asia.

@bjcheung77 Yes, I've been doing research and collecting information for 2 months, but I haven't found much. I was telling myself that I could take a PhD just for the title and then maybe compensate it with a certification or short program from a really good university right after. I really liked the PhD in Education at INTI as it seems a bigger institution than Manipal NXT. But they told me that it's only available on campus.

Regarding Manipal, I know that it's not super on point in terms of accreditation. But it's quite cheap at 6.5K, and since I have quite a lot of postgraduate credit in education after the 
Master's, I believe I can complete it in a year less.

Any other suggestion is welcome.
Will you think about the Ed.D from NA University ? ( ~$10k)
Unfortunately, an Ed.D. will not be really considered here. I work in a sector where a "Ph.D." at the end of the name is more important than its provenance.

I did find this one Online Ph.D. in Leadership Studies at the University of the Cumberlands. If they accept international students, it would be really interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frost87b3's post:
  • armado

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 28 1,590 Yesterday, 02:35 AM
Last Post: armado
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 287 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,511 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,182 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 986 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 573 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
  Looking for 2 year DBA online Bob Sham 42 7,234 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Johann1
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 566 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ABA Considers Accrediting Exclusively Online Law Schools Jonathan Whatley 1 476 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Texila American University - $7800 online PhD (multiple fields) Kalas 9 1,720 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983