Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Degree Policy
(12-08-2021, 12:15 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Does Excelsior accept 30 'new' credits from sophia.org or similar for the second bachelor degree?

I guess I could see a new BA degree being useful in a major career change from an initial BA, but Excelsior degrees don't seem that specific. Even then, a master's degree wouldn't be many more credits than 30 and could accomplish the same task. I like the idea of getting degrees as cheap as possible, but 30 credits is quite a bit unless they accept sophia or alternative credits for the 30 'new' credits. I've got a friend who wants a second bachelor's degree for the same of modernizing her resume. I could see the utility for people long beyond their initial BA wanting to do a BA in a more 'modern' field, such as a BA in digital marketing.I think she should get a second masters, but perhaps there are benefits to a second BA. If she could get it using sophia.org credits or alternative credits, I think it would be a nice cheap degree for her.

Sophia doesn't have UL credits, so they wouldn't be a good option as a course provider.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would skip the thought of an Excelsior second bachelors, the cost would be more expensive than the UMPI MAOL, depending on how fast she can finish the MAOL. There are other options if she is into an CBE, such as WGU's offerings. For those who don't want a CBE education, they can go for a Masters at Amberton, Fort Hayes, or others that have lower tuition than Excelsior.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-08-2021, 12:15 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Does Excelsior accept 30 'new' credits from sophia.org or similar for the second bachelor degree?

I guess I could see a new BA degree being useful in a major career change from an initial BA, but Excelsior degrees don't seem that specific. Even then, a master's degree wouldn't be many more credits than 30 and could accomplish the same task. I like the idea of getting degrees as cheap as possible, but 30 credits is quite a bit unless they accept sophia or alternative credits for the 30 'new' credits. I've got a friend who wants a second bachelor's degree for the same of modernizing her resume. I could see the utility for people long beyond their initial BA wanting to do a BA in a more 'modern' field, such as a BA in digital marketing.I think she should get a second masters, but perhaps there are benefits to a second BA. If she could get it using sophia.org credits or alternative credits, I think it would be a nice cheap degree for her.

No. Sophia is LL. The additional 30 credits MUST be UL. All 30 UL credits must be completed after your first degree was conferred as well. EC really isn't interested in people completing a second bachelor's degree.
No, don't get the UMPI MAOL. UMPI is good for Bachelor's degrees (even second degrees) but not good for Master's degrees at this time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-08-2021, 01:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: No, don't get the UMPI MAOL. UMPI is good for Bachelor's degrees (even second degrees) but not good for Master's degrees at this time.

Curious, why is that?  I am just finishing my Bachelors there and was considering MAOL.
(12-10-2021, 03:47 PM)RRobs Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 01:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: No, don't get the UMPI MAOL. UMPI is good for Bachelor's degrees (even second degrees) but not good for Master's degrees at this time.

Curious, why is that?  I am just finishing my Bachelors there and was considering MAOL.

Check out ashkir's posts about it. It's a ridiculous amount of work and half (or more) of the courses are broken, requiring Brandman logins for things. You don't get a Brandman login from UMPI.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
As a second degree how to do it to get two bachelors at the same time from excelsior...
In this case one in psychology and one in business administration?
Could it be 30 upper level credits for each one if they are finished at the same time? or will be a problem because first you get a degree and then you have to get the other 30?
Is any way to avoid making two cornerstones and two capstones? to reduce work and tuition?
(01-17-2022, 03:05 PM)Kab Wrote: As a second degree how to do it to get two bachelors at the same time from excelsior...
In this case one in psychology and one in business administration?
Could it be 30 upper level credits for each one if they are finished at the same time? or will be a problem because first you get a degree and then you have to get the other 30?
Is any way to avoid making two cornerstones and two capstones? to reduce work and tuition?

If you want 2 degrees, I don't think EC is the school for you. UMPI or TESU are much easier to deal with in that regard.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Yup but UMPI does not have Psychology and TESU is more expensive. Also TESU has a limit of 2 bachelors and this include from other institutions, no? or you can have a Bachelors from another institution and still be able to get two from them?
At TESU, if you graduate them at the same time, two BA degrees count as just one degree. Or two BSBA degrees. If you want Psych + another BA, the cost isn't going to be that much more than getting two degrees at EC as long as you plan things carefully.

If you want Psych + Business Administration while already having a prior degree, I would do TESU and then UMPI. Again, it shouldn't be that much more than trying to get two EC degrees. You have to take into account the cost of everything, not just the fees the schools charge.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 5 642 03-29-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Is this a new policy smithpaint 8 1,003 01-04-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,300 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,152 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior BS Criminal Justice degree plan new2this 4 862 03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EU Degree Cost? NBM123 14 2,267 11-28-2022, 10:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior business degree plan desireelws50 7 1,442 11-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  EU Business Degree Courses NBM123 5 1,148 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: new2this
  Excelsior degree plans on the wiki rachel83az 9 2,298 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM