Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice about salvaging the capstone class
sammeecat Wrote:Wow at the bolded. Even though I fully own and am really beating myself up for my laziness and culpability with this, that really gives me something to think about.

Not to be overly dramatic, but I am really used to quitting (when it comes to school), so fighting would definitely trigger something new in my brain. I'm only half-kidding.

I love that you wrote that! I think people can feel sensitive about this, and I'm glad you didn't misunderstand what I wrote in any kind of personal judgy way. There are things in my life I know I can do, so I do them. I know I can swim a mile, as such, if I'm in the water, I WILL swim 66 laps. No question. I'm not even feeling it until the last dozen or so; it wouldn't enter my mind to stop. In the same breath, I will tell you I've never ran 2 miles without stopping. Every step is torture. Every step I'm talking myself into stopping.

It's a mind game. I think it applies to school or sports or anything really. Wink
I heartily agree with Jennifer's advice above, and with the advice to request an extension. I'd let the mentor know that you're committed to doing what it takes to complete the course and that you're requesting a course extension. More info on how to do that is here: Thomas Edison State University: Apply for an eight week course extension

Also, I completely believe that you CAN finish the paper. A thread or two popped up on here recently with sample papers, and you might find having an example to be helpful. If you can get the extension, take a few deep breaths and just focus on one step at a time instead of the whole thing. You can do it!!!
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
cookderosa Wrote:Do the paper. Here's why:

First- the burden to fail you will be on the teacher. When you don't turn something in, the teacher can be lazy and enter a "0" without a second thought. When you DO turn in a paper, they have to justify every point deduction. It's much harder to fail you when you turn in your paper.

Second- you'll get a grade and or feedback. Even if your paper fails, you'll get feedback that you can then use on your next attempt at the class. In addition, you can use the same work this time around for the next time around if necessary, it's not wasted effort. (EDIT to comment about plagiarism- you absolutely can use your own work, that's not plagiarism. Plagiarism is when you use someone else's work without properly citing. Copyright always belongs to the author- published or not. So, it's not plagiarism and it's not copyright infringement. As to whether or not the instructor takes personal issue is really a matter of what's written *or not* in the syllabus and or college catalog. )

Finally- something in your brain happens when you quit vs when you fight.

Self-plagiarism is indeed considered plagiarism at some universities. I know that's the case at all the ones I've attended. You still have to site your own previously completed work.

Plagiarism is one example of academic dishonesty: Self Plagiarism is .... Submission of prior work without self-citation constitutes self-plagiarism and academic ...
http://www.tesu.edu/national-institute/d...in_PLA.pdf

They might still make an exception because of the circumstances.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I just completed the CAPSTONE project this week and I also turned in a couple assignments late. My Mentor only took 5 points off for submitting late and I still got a 90 in the course. All you need is a 72 to pass the class and move on to grad school. Are you enrolled in the March 2016 term because that still leaves you with 4 weeks to complete the paper, unless you were enrolled in the Feb 2016 term which ended on this past Sunday. Have you submitted any of the written assignment yet? If you have submitted at least 3 of the 6 assignments, which is 50% of the coursework, I would recommend that you pay the $213 and get an extension and complete the final 2 chapters and final project. That would give you an extra 8 weeks. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. (Assuming you are enrolled in the Guided Study course and not O.L., If O.L. you may have additional assignments like the discussion boards which could be beneficial to you.

Joseph
jolie6 Wrote:I just completed the CAPSTONE project this week and I also turned in a couple assignments late. My Mentor only took 5 points off for submitting late and I still got a 90 in the course. All you need is a 72 to pass the class and move on to grad school. Are you enrolled in the March 2016 term because that still leaves you with 4 weeks to complete the paper, unless you were enrolled in the Feb 2016 term which ended on this past Sunday. Have you submitted any of the written assignment yet? If you have submitted at least 3 of the 6 assignments, which is 50% of the coursework, I would recommend that you pay the $213 and get an extension and complete the final 2 chapters and final project. That would give you an extra 8 weeks. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. (Assuming you are enrolled in the Guided Study course and not O.L., If O.L. you may have additional assignments like the discussion boards which could be beneficial to you

Hi Joseph,
Would you be willing to go over to the Capstone thread and leave some detailed feedback on your mentor/Capstone experience for those of us who haven't taken it yet?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Doing my recent Capstone, I was late from the first assignment on, and had to request an extension. Because I had let the mentor know before each due date that I would be late, he did not deduct any points. I got 100% on each draft and 99% on the final paper. The mentor posted this part way through the class:

Quote:Subject: TESU Late Submission Policy

Policy: Written assignments should be submitted no later than the due date unless prior arrangements are made with the mentor and a new due date is established. If a student submits an assignment after the due date without having made arrangements with the mentor, a minimum of 5 points (based on an assignment grading scale of 100 points) or 5 percent of the total points will be deducted for each week, or part thereof, that the assignment is late. Discussion board assignments must be completed in a timely manner or points will be deducted.

NOTE: As long as a student notifies a mentor that an assignment will be delayed, the student will not be penalized for lateness.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like a mentor could deduct more than the minimum or even all points (essentially refusing to accept) on their own judgment. I also don't know whether the "NOTE" is TESU policy, or an addition by my mentor.

In your shoes I would withdraw and try again. It was very important to get the mentor's comments on each chapter draft, and you would be trying to finish the paper without those comments. I have to think that will really cause your grade to suffer. Also, one of the criteria for being granted an extension is that you have turned in at least 50% of the work in the course, which it sounds like you may not have done. Next time be sure to notify the mentor if you must be late. And try to get my mentor, James Cody, since I know that he has a reasonable late policy.

As far as the plagiarism angle goes, there are only 6 assignments including the final, so if you haven't turned in "several" you really haven't turned much in. I don't think you need worry about "plagiarizing" things you didn't turn in. You might be able to salvage the general topic by modifying your questions and rewriting the little you did turn in from scratch. You can also discuss the situation with the next mentor and see if they are OK with you using the same paper.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
soliloquy Wrote:Self-plagiarism is indeed considered plagiarism at some universities. I know that's the case at all the ones I've attended. You still have to site your own previously completed work.

Plagiarism is one example of academic dishonesty: Self Plagiarism is .... Submission of prior work without self-citation constitutes self-plagiarism and academic ...
http://www.tesu.edu/national-institute/d...in_PLA.pdf

They might still make an exception because of the circumstances.

So instead of writing a policy, TESC is using a powerpoint from Capella? LOL
I also think you should talk to your mentor, to see what the chances are that you could actually pass. However, as far as I know replacing and W vs F is still the same... replacing a grade. With that in mind you will fail 100% of what you don't attempt... aka - withdraw. Therefore, it seems better to at least put the effort into try getting it done and learn what you can. Besides, the teacher may think you showed great effort in the end and choose to pass you. My other piece of advice is to hire a writing mentor to help you get the paper done. I have someone who helped proof-read mine who has a lot of experience whom I could recommend. I found her online, but she was excellent and had fast turn-around at a reasonable price.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Thank you all for your really thoughtful responses and advice. SweetSecret, I may reach out to that person you recommended. You gave me the info back when I was stressing out at the beginning of the course. Smile

I have been praying and doing a lot of thinking, and I'm still torn, but as of now, I'm working on what I can at the moment. Unfortunately, this is a super busy weekend for me and my family since we celebrate Easter this coming Sunday. I have lots of church services along with running around for the last minute things for my children, so my thoughts aren't completely clear. On one hand, I'm motivated to get this finished, but on the other hand, I feel my expectations might be too much. I made some progress last night, and I fully intend to keep pushing through.

Some of you put the pieces together that I cannot ask for an extension....yet. I'm hoping I can get to the 50% point and then request the extension. I have some work turned in, but not 50%.
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:
DSST Substance Abuse PASSED 1/2016
DSST Public Speaking PASSED 1/2016
SL American Govt. -- PASSED 2/2016
SL Business Comm. -- PASSED 3/2016
The Institutes free ethics class - accepted, thank you, God! Smile
Living in the Info Age (SOC 110) - 3/2016
TECEP Abnormal Psych - PASSED 3/2016
TESU Capstone -- DONE!!! A- (but still an A, right?) 1/2017

Put on the back burner for a rainy day:
Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food (SOC 302)
I hope everything works out for you. I didn't even start my capstone until the last few weeks of the course but I had a very lenient mentor who was just happy I finally turned something in. I took an extension and was able to complete every missed assignment and got an A in the end. Once you get an extension you are allowed to complete all missing assignments, at least that's what I've always done, even if i missed the midterm. I recall taking one of my midterms on the last day of my extension so if an extension is an option I highly recommend it. I once had a mentor turn down my extension request and I appealed because I had completed like 9 out of 18 assignments or gradable work. Complete all the discussion forums and all the assignments you can. I have requested extensions on the last day of the course. It all depends on your mentor and how nice they are and how willing they are to work with you.

If you think your mentor is tough then communication is going to be important. Keep track of all your requests for assistance and let other people like maybe the dean know you are struggling. I remember many years ago I dropped a course where the mentor gave me a 45 on my first paper. I thought I just wasn't smart enough for her course. I later found out she failed everybody. The other students filed a complaint and she was dealt with.
:imwithstupid:
Aleks - Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS - College Algebra
CLEP Intro to Sociology - 67
Straighterline - Business Ethics
TECEP-Liberal Arts Math - 89
TECEP-Computer Concepts and Applications - 82
TECEP-Introduction to Business - 72
cheersmate
Currently working on:
TESC AA General - Done!!!
TESC BA Social Science
TESC ASBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,304 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,594 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,471 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,737 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,149 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,976 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,384 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM