Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop University Math Courses
Shmoop appears to have a preview of the new ACE-approved math courses up. It doesn't say the number of credits they are each worth yet, and on another thread we learned that they won't go "live" until August 26. It does have the ten new math courses that they mentioned, along with the current three in history though:

https://schools.shmoop.com/courses/

Algebra I (College)
Algebra II (College)
Finite Math (College)
Geometry (College)
Mathematics I (College)
Mathematics II (College)
Mathematics III (College)
Modern European History (College)
Pre-Algebra I (College)
Pre-Algebra II (College)
Pre-Calculus (College)
U.S. History: 1492-1877 (College)
U.S. History: 1877-Present (College)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
That's awesome, now I just have to find out which translates to what at TESU for "general ed or general elective credits".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Assuming these are all worth 3 credits:
I would guess that the Pre-Algebra courses will count as developmental math credit;
Mathematics I, II, and III would be MAT-101, 102, 103;
Finite Math seems to overlap with MAT-119 Quantitative Business Analysis;
Algebra I and II might be College Algebra I and II, but more likely MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra and MAT-121 College Algebra;
Geometry might be MAT-361 College Geometry, or they might decide to make it a MAT-199;
Precalculus would be MAT-129.

It would be amazing if Geometry were an upper level credit.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Assuming these are all worth 3 credits:
I would guess that the Pre-Algebra courses will count as developmental math credit;
Finite Math seems to overlap with MAT-119 Quantitative Business Analysis;
Algebra I and II might be College Algebra I and II, but more likely MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra and MAT-121 College Algebra;
Geometry might be MAT-361 College Geometry, or they might decide to make it a MAT-199;
Precalculus would be MAT-129.

It would be amazing if Geometry were an upper level credit.

How did you determine this? Just wondering, I couldn't quite figure out which ones TESU might accept and as what. I was thinking that they might not accept a lot of these, and call them Developmental (like Beginning Algebra).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
>> The syllabi appear to overlap the CLEP College Math. However, I thought they came in as MAT-101 General Math I and actually it's MAT-102 General Math I. Maybe the first one is developmental and the other two will be credit-worthy?

Finite Math seems to overlap with MAT-119 Quantitative Business Analysis
>> TESU has generally counted Finite Math as QBA for quite a while; the QBA textbook is a Finite Math book. The syllabi cover similar topics.

Algebra I and II might be College Algebra I and II, but more likely MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra and MAT-121 College Algebra
>> Looking at the two syllabi, I just don't see them covering more than what you'd be likely to see in Intermediate and College Algebra. They don't seem developmental though.

Geometry might be MAT-361 College Geometry, or they might decide to make it a MAT-199
>> I would love it if this one were MAT-361. However, TESU usually requires Calculus as a prerequisite for MAT-361 and this syllabus in no way indicates that you would need a background in calculus to succeed. Hence, MAT-199.

Obviously, this is all conjecture until we see it on ACE (and even better, someone tries to put these on a TESU transcript).
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Shmoop shows the history and math courses as ACE approved on their site: https://www.shmoop.com/college-credit/

But ACE site shows only the history courses. So I called ACE to confirm the math before my family and friends enroll and this is the email I just received from ACE:

Hi Julie,

Thank you for contacting ACE today regarding your courses with Shmoop. I have spoken with some colleagues and we have discovered an issue on the Shmoop site. It is only the 3 history courses that we offer credit recommendations for.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Nicole Reidinger
Customer Service Representative
Center for Education Attainment and Innovation
American Council on Education
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington DC 20036
Phone: (202) 939-9431
nreidinger@acenet.edu
The American Council on Education

So has Shmoop jumped the gun or ??? I know a couple of people who would like to take advantage of these math courses while the price is still low, but if there is going to be an issue with ACE concerning recommendation, then we will hold off. Another question just popped into my head: If math course is taken and either begun or completed before it shows up on ACE site, will it count or not?? I assume only completion date will affect that, but then would a student perhaps have to pay a second (or longer) month before ACE approval is posted? Just possibilities to consider, I guess.

Again, thanks to all of you on this site who find and discuss such great deals and offer wonderful advice on so many issues!
Julie S. Wrote:Shmoop shows the history and math courses as ACE approved on their site: https://www.shmoop.com/college-credit/

But ACE site shows only the history courses. So I called ACE to confirm the math before my family and friends enroll and this is the email I just received from ACE:

Hi Julie,

Thank you for contacting ACE today regarding your courses with Shmoop. I have spoken with some colleagues and we have discovered an issue on the Shmoop site. It is only the 3 history courses that we offer credit recommendations for.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Nicole Reidinger
Customer Service Representative
Center for Education Attainment and Innovation
American Council on Education
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington DC 20036
Phone: (202) 939-9431
nreidinger@acenet.edu
The American Council on Education

So has Shmoop jumped the gun or ??? I know a couple of people who would like to take advantage of these math courses while the price is still low, but if there is going to be an issue with ACE concerning recommendation, then we will hold off. Another question just popped into my head: If math course is taken and either begun or completed before it shows up on ACE site, will it count or not?? I assume only completion date will affect that, but then would a student perhaps have to pay a second (or longer) month before ACE approval is posted? Just possibilities to consider, I guess.

Again, thanks to all of you on this site who find and discuss such great deals and offer wonderful advice on so many issues!

There wasn't any mention of the English Literature courses either in this email reply or question you had for them.
They were supposed to be "out" with 12 new English Literature courses that should be ACE Recommended.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hmm Ace discovered an issue on the Shmoop site?
maybe that's why Shmoop didn't raise their price yet.
bjcheung77 Wrote:There wasn't any mention of the English Literature courses either in this email reply or question you had for them.
They were supposed to be "out" with 12 new English Literature courses that should be ACE Recommended.

The English Lit courses don't appear on Shmoop's page of ACE approved courses, but they do appear as "College" courses on another Shmoop page along with the 3 history and 10 math courses. That's why I didn't ask ACE about them, since Shmoop wasn't listing them yet as ACE, only as College.

Mickey20, you could be right about why the prices haven't been raised yet. Hopefully, the math courses will show up and the price held as it is for a bit longer :-) They will get a lot more customers willing to try them for under $25!
Julie S. Wrote:Shmoop shows the history and math courses as ACE approved on their site: https://www.shmoop.com/college-credit/

Shmoop does NOT say on their website that their Lit or Math courses are ACE-recommended. They just list them as college-level courses. Nowhere does it say "College Courses that are ACE-approved." I don't think Shmoop jumped the gun, I think you did.

The only 3 courses that are ACE-recommended for college credit at this time are the 3 history courses that have been since 6/1/16. That has not changed. And they all 3 state this on the course info page:

Thanks for your interest in Shmoop's ACE CREDITÂ recommended courses. Because we're all about transparency, we wanted to let you know that within about a month, we will be adjusting our subscription plans, and the price of a subscription that includes our ACE CREDIT recommended courses will likely increase.
If you choose to upgrade your subscription at that time, you will not lose any progress in your courses, but you will need to upgrade in order to continue accessing our ACE CREDIT recommended courses.

Shmoop also said that they would be adding ACE-recommended courses for Math and Lit, but they indicated it would be later this year. I can't find the exact wording, but they did not say they were ACE-approved yet.

I would never tell anyone to take a course that was not ACE-recommended for credit until it was on ACE's website, and had a start and end date. This goes for Shmoop, but also for any other provider. We routinely tell people to check ACE first before taking a PF course because those expire regularly, and PF doesn't always renew their courses through ACE. They may still offer them at their school though, so you should ALWAYS check for ACE-recommendation before taking anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,716 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,800 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,398 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 309 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat