Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop outside the Big 3
I know TESU and COSC won't give credits for Shmoop courses, but does anyone have experience transferring them outside the Big 3? I am doing the Union Free College program and there are some credits I would just like to crank out since I already have experience in the topics. Both colleges in the program, Eastern Gateway CC and Central State University (Ohio), consider ACE recommendations for credit. My impression from talking to EGCC is that they would probably accept them, but won't give a firm answer until they see the transcript.

I am guessing that, with the exception of the Big 3 (and maybe WGU?), most colleges just look at the ACE transcript and see if the courses fit your plan, without nitpicking over who the provider was (because ACE is recommending it, which is supposed to be the point ...). But I'd just like some feedback from other people about whether this is actually the case.
Have you actually tried Shmoop? It's, uh, very frustrating, to say the least. I'm not saying not to investigate further, but it's something that you should be aware of before you rely too heavily on Shmoop (assuming it's accepted). I was both relieved and saddened that TESU stopped accepting them.
(07-30-2020, 12:21 PM)wow Wrote: I know TESU and COSC won't give credits for Shmoop courses, but does anyone have experience transferring them outside the Big 3? I am doing the Union Free College program and there are some credits I would just like to crank out since I already have experience in the topics. Both colleges in the program, Eastern Gateway CC and Central State University (Ohio), consider ACE recommendations for credit. My impression from talking to EGCC is that they would probably accept them, but won't give a firm answer until they see the transcript.

I am guessing that, with the exception of the Big 3 (and maybe WGU?), most colleges just look at the ACE transcript and see if the courses fit your plan, without nitpicking over who the provider was (because ACE is recommending it, which is supposed to be the point ...). But I'd just like some feedback from other people about whether this is actually the case.
Check with UMPI YourPace. They seem very generous with ACE credits
(07-30-2020, 12:21 PM)wow Wrote: I know TESU and COSC won't give credits for Shmoop courses, but does anyone have experience transferring them outside the Big 3? I am doing the Union Free College program and there are some credits I would just like to crank out since I already have experience in the topics. Both colleges in the program, Eastern Gateway CC and Central State University (Ohio), consider ACE recommendations for credit. My impression from talking to EGCC is that they would probably accept them, but won't give a firm answer until they see the transcript.

The Big 3 don't accept Shmoop. Neither does WGU. There's more to it than just looking at a transcript and seeing if a title fits your degree plan. They actually look at where the credits are from and what the syllabus covers. Just because it's on an ACE transcript does not mean it will be accepted.

(07-30-2020, 12:49 PM)Cofffeee Wrote:

Check with UMPI YourPace. They seem very generous with ACE credits

UMPI only accepts 30 ACE credits. They don't accept ACE from everywhere either. I applied there this week. Hoping to transfer from CSU in August so I can finish my degree significantly faster.
(07-30-2020, 12:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you actually tried Shmoop? It's, uh, very frustrating, to say the least. I'm not saying not to investigate further, but it's something that you should be aware of before you rely too heavily on Shmoop (assuming it's accepted). I was both relieved and saddened that TESU stopped accepting them.

I haven't, but I have read the old threads about the hair-splitting test questions so I know they can be frustrating. I am not looking to rack up 10 credits in a month or anything like that, which would be hard with those types of tests. More like 3 or 4 to knock out a few classes so I don't have to sit through 8/16 weeks of lessons on things I already know. Study.com is also an option, of course, but Shmoop has some interesting offerings that Study.com doesn't. In my case, going with Study.com or Shmoop is not about saving money, since my tuition and most books are already paid for through the union program. It's just a matter of efficiency.

(07-30-2020, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The Big 3 don't accept Shmoop. Neither does WGU. There's more to it than just looking at a transcript and seeing if a title fits your degree plan. They actually look at where the credits are from and what the syllabus covers. Just because it's on an ACE transcript does not mean it will be accepted.

I know that each credit is evaluated for appropriateness to the degree plan, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking about a provider being rejected out of hand. And the Big 3 are not my focus (anymore--I had been looking at COSC, but since they no longer accept subject area GREs for credit, the price for upper levels makes the degree more than I'm willing to pay for it). The union program pays for lower and upper level credits, so the schools that participate in it are the ones I'm focused on now, in addition to University of the People, which officially accepts ACE but is very strict about exact matches.

Since there are people in this forum who have attended outside the Big 3, I was hoping some might have tried to transfer credits from Shmoop and could share their experience.

(07-30-2020, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI only accepts 30 ACE credits. They don't accept ACE from everywhere either. I applied there this week. Hoping to transfer from CSU in August so I can finish my degree significantly faster.

Have you found a list of providers they don't accept? I read on another thread that they are fine with Shmoop. (This is curiosity; I'm not looking at UMPI.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • rachel83az
Looks like CSU-Global entered into an agreement with Shmoop in 2019. Their website still shows that they accept Shmoop credit, but if you look at the transfer guide, it looks (to me, at least) like they are crediting hours and Shmoop will meet Gen Ed requirement, but perhaps not specific degree requirements:

https://csuglobal.edu/admissions/transfe...ers/shmoop
(07-30-2020, 06:16 PM)freeloader Wrote: Looks like CSU-Global entered into an agreement with Shmoop in 2019. Their website still shows that they accept Shmoop credit, but if you look at the transfer guide, it looks (to me, at least) like they are crediting hours and Shmoop will meet Gen Ed requirement, but perhaps not specific degree requirements:

https://csuglobal.edu/admissions/transfe...ers/shmoop

I am enrolled at CSU right now and the paperwork I have from them about alternative credit sources which are accepted doesn't include Shmoop. They are selective with alt credits as well. Keep in mind that tuition is $350 per credit and you're required to take 30 credits at CSU Global. There's an addition to this file. They just started taking English Composition II from Sophia within the last few weeks.

(07-30-2020, 04:41 PM)wow Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 12:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you actually tried Shmoop? It's, uh, very frustrating, to say the least. I'm not saying not to investigate further, but it's something that you should be aware of before you rely too heavily on Shmoop (assuming it's accepted). I was both relieved and saddened that TESU stopped accepting them.

I haven't, but I have read the old threads about the hair-splitting test questions so I know they can be frustrating. I am not looking to rack up 10 credits in a month or anything like that, which would be hard with those types of tests. More like 3 or 4 to knock out a few classes so I don't have to sit through 8/16 weeks of lessons on things I already know. Study.com is also an option, of course, but Shmoop has some interesting offerings that Study.com doesn't. In my case, going with Study.com or Shmoop is not about saving money, since my tuition and most books are already paid for through the union program. It's just a matter of efficiency.

(07-30-2020, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The Big 3 don't accept Shmoop. Neither does WGU. There's more to it than just looking at a transcript and seeing if a title fits your degree plan. They actually look at where the credits are from and what the syllabus covers. Just because it's on an ACE transcript does not mean it will be accepted.

I know that each credit is evaluated for appropriateness to the degree plan, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking about a provider being rejected out of hand. And the Big 3 are not my focus (anymore--I had been looking at COSC, but since they no longer accept subject area GREs for credit, the price for upper levels makes the degree more than I'm willing to pay for it). The union program pays for lower and upper level credits, so the schools that participate in it are the ones I'm focused on now, in addition to University of the People, which officially accepts ACE but is very strict about exact matches.

Since there are people in this forum who have attended outside the Big 3, I was hoping some might have tried to transfer credits from Shmoop and could share their experience.

(07-30-2020, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI only accepts 30 ACE credits. They don't accept ACE from everywhere either. I applied there this week. Hoping to transfer from CSU in August so I can finish my degree significantly faster.

Have you found a list of providers they don't accept? I read on another thread that they are fine with Shmoop. (This is curiosity; I'm not looking at UMPI.)

It's easier to find a list of what a college does accept. Many have agreements with Sophia, SL, and SDC. Just have Google them and if there's an agreement they come up.

Attached Files
.pdf   AlternativeCreditGuide_2019_2.pdf (Size: 284.64 KB / Downloads: 10)
I actually was able to rack up 10 shmoop class last months (after about 9 sleepless night cuz I have insomniac), out of which 4 is deemed transferable to a course in my university, 2 as a major elective and 4 as free elective. I'll report back when my transcript is evaluated, but FYI the school require a minimum of 30 credits from our school for a degree.

The school do have policy regarding considering ACE recommended course being evaluated similarly to a B&M course per course-by-course equivalency. Most sophia course is accepted here as well.
My son took 4 Shmoop classes last year and they transferred to Pierpont Community and Technical College where he got his BOG AAS.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(08-01-2020, 10:21 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: My son took 4 Shmoop classes last year and they transferred to Pierpont Community and Technical College where he got his BOG AAS.

Thanks for the info!

(07-30-2020, 10:02 PM)Silvious Wrote: I actually was able to rack up 10 shmoop class last months (after about 9 sleepless night cuz I have insomniac), out of which 4 is deemed transferable to a course in my university, 2 as a major elective and 4 as free elective. I'll report back when my transcript is evaluated, but FYI the school require a minimum of 30 credits from our school for a degree. ...
That's great to know. Thanks for sharing this information!

(07-30-2020, 09:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote: It's easier to find a list of what a college does accept. Many have agreements with Sophia, SL, and SDC. Just have Google them and if there's an agreement they come up.

That's not been my experience outside the Big 3/WGU and a few other schools that are geared/heavily marketing to non-traditional students. Most have a generic policy saying they consider ACE credits on a course-by-course basis, without specifying anything about providers. A few have policies saying they consider CLEP credits but are vague or silent in their published materials on other ACE equivalents, and it's really just an "apply, send your transcript, and find out" situation.

Shmoop is listed as a CSU-Global partner here: https://csuglobal.edu/admissions/transfe...ers/shmoop

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,448 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 7,967 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,187 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,134 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,623 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 756 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,581 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Shmoop Extention jamshid666 10 2,124 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Other New Shmoop courses: Macroeconomics,Microeconomics,Cost Accounting nosey561 4 1,577 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL