Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soon Excelsior will reach the subconscious minds
of U of C students, faculty, staff....then they will go on to other institutions of higher learning or to corporate America,etc.. An Excelsior grad will walk through the door for a job or for grad school.. and they will remember seeing something about Excelsior College...somewhere but won't question whether it's legit or not because the name has been ingrained in their heads...somewhere...

I had to send in my bio for the athletic center's brochure to be printed up in a few weeks. Might not seem like a big thing, but I loved seeing -"April Harkness is a graduate of Excelsior College."

The pamphlet will be on the U of C website as well as in print..

Wink

Gettin' the word out!
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
I informed a few friends of mine about Excelsior, and many of them said that the name sounded very familiar to them. If anything, the name sounds really cool, like that of a division of NASA or a secret society or something.

Truthfully, I don't think that the college itself will ever gain notoriety, nor, honestly do I think it should. What I mean is, not an insult to EC, but a recognition for just what it is. The methods of obtaining an EC degree vary much more widely than any other college. In fact, I think them to be the most flexible of all of the Big Three. This means that each EC degree must be evaluated on its own merits. Some people may have 95% of their credits transferred from top colleges with rigorous programs, while others may have 95% of their credits from schools with poor reputations, others may have tested out, others have professional certifications and military experience, etc, etc.The rigor of EC's courses are inconsequential since, it seems, most students don't take very many of them on their way toward a degree.

Excelsior is what it is: a nontraditional degree-completion college. Its reputation as it is right now reflects that and will not likely ever change. The only question, really, is if DL will continue to make great gains in public recognition. If this happens, Excelsior will benefit (even though many of its students have degrees that are principally through B&M transfer).
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Great job April. You are right....and when the fine folks at U of C associate the degree with such a positive, engaging and intelligent person, you will make us all proud.Smile
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Yeah! My bio is up!

University of Chicago Athletics - Personal Training Services

But the comps I placed high in are not listed! They picked my worst competition and put it in my bio. Oh well. Pic isn't there yet... but there it is in print in a U of C brochure and on the web- Excelsior College!

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Wow, your profile sounds really impressive. No wonder why they hired you!

A well accomplished bioSmile
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Thanks! Still a little miffed they put down my worst place competition finish and left out my other competitions. GRR! I guess there is only so much space.

Anyways, thinking of another post about being realistic about degrees that I just read. My job definately doesn't need a degree. All it needs is a cert. The degree got me in, and I was competing against others for this job.

Good to bulk up the resume with other things to make one stand out...because Excelsior is not very well known, it's DL and there are still alot of biases.

So I bulk up my resume/ experiences by doing competitions(even if i don't do as well as I like at some competitions I can still put down I am a fitness competitor and that goes on my resume) and keep challenging myself to go above and beyond those that have a degree.

I know plenty exercise science degree holders that can't do a pullup.
Or a pushup!

This is what sells and keeps the clients wanting more.

pushup variations :: one arm pushups video by apriltrainer - Photobucket

[Image: th_pushhandhip.jpg]

I was a little terrified at first about working @ U of C. I was even asked if I would be able to conversate with Phd's! (A bit funny since my boyfriend is a post doc!) Would I be able to explain? Could I challenge them?

So bulk up your degree from Excelsior or Charter Oak, TESC any way you can. It's a stepping stone, not the end destination.

I was surprised by the reaction I received from my boyfriend. We were out for a walk the other day, and I told him I was working on pushup variations and progressions. So I showed him my one arm by dropping and knocking out a few one arm pushups with each arm, a few variations with the non working hand on leg or stretched out,etc My geneticist boyfriend who continually amazes me with his brain, dropped his coffee and his mouth just stood open.

I jumped up and asked what was wrong...and he said, "That's....that's mythical. I've never seen anyone do that but on tv..."

I actually was able to impress an Ivy league grad...not with my degree but with the application of my knowledge of human anatomy and physics.

Just by doing a one-arm pushup!

Wink

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Congrats April,
I remember the good old days when I was able to impress my Soldiers with the One Arm Push-up. I have to admit though that your form is much better than mine was.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
April, I think your one handed push up has inspired me to exercise more.
Some people may decry, but do not let them steal your thunder. You earned your degree, whether they like it or not Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Malcolm Nance: Excelsior BA to Cable News Star to Fighting for Ukraine Jonathan Whatley 9 909 05-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Obituary for former Excelsior English adjunct Sparklette 0 650 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,669 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Should we reach out to this guy? :) rebel100 13 1,836 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Last Post: sklineho
  Books for Sale! Excelsior CCS 120 EI2HCB 1 1,337 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  HELP! Excelsior's phone is disconnected and e-mails from AOL are coming back P00057870 6 2,081 01-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  *facepalm* Excelsior says I need two more classes rickyjo 26 3,921 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Last Post: creative
  This Excelsior Alum... april004 9 1,836 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: taylor
  Cooler Minds Think Much Clearer... norema 2 925 10-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Last Post: JanusthePhoenix
  Would you like to become an advisor at Excelsior? gus 2 1,077 09-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Last Post: bawhitsett