Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sophia Public Speaking
(07-01-2020, 09:49 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 08:05 PM)monchevy Wrote: OK, so I have to take this thing even though I truly don't want to. I'm an extreme introvert and suffer from social anxiety, and I literally fall apart if I'm the center of attention or I know I'm being watched/judged. Are there multiple videos to upload and get critiqued on? How many people are watching and judging?

I know I sound like a complete idiot right now, but can someone please talk me like I'm five, and give me an idea of how painful this will be for someone like me?? :-(

I think you'll find it a non-issue.

You're only talking to your laptop (or smartphone, or camera).  Literally no one is watching.

While it's true that there are two five-minute videos to upload, at this stage of the pandemic and their free promotion, I suspect there's one overloaded, underpaid Sophia staffer, working from home in their pajamas, eating chili with their fingers, burping over a Bud and "watching" several videos at once while grading papers and Lord knows what else, paying just enough attention to select a template with the appropriate grading metric, "You are passionate about your subject, but you need to look at the camera and gesture once in a while".

If you literally collided with that worker in a grocery store the next day and spilled a gallon on milk on them, I sincerely doubt that they'd remember you.

Go get the three credits and be done with it.

Big Grin  Thanks for that, I needed the laugh! A big problem is that I dislike speaking at all. Let alone for 5 minutes. I really don't have all that much to say!! What are the rest of the assignments like? Hopefully less cringe-y.
(07-01-2020, 09:58 PM)monchevy Wrote: Big Grin  Thanks for that, I needed the laugh! A big problem is that I dislike speaking at all. Let alone for 5 minutes. I really don't have all that much to say!! What are the rest of the assignments like? Hopefully less cringe-y.

There are no other assignments. All you have to do is sit down and write a 500 word document about your position on a subject, then read it in front of a camera.

For the second video, change a handful of words to stuffier, more collegiate-sounding ones, print out an 8.5x11 visual aid (monochrome is fine) that is at least tangentially related to your subject, and hold it up once or twice. Oh, and brush any Cheetos dust off your shirt before you start.

I put Public Speaking off for the essentially the same reasons you described and when it was over I realized that, in comparison to pretty much any other college course I've ever taken, it was a stroll down a tree-lined promenade with a fine lady and a white poodle.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • monchevy, rachel83az
(07-01-2020, 10:11 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:58 PM)monchevy Wrote: Big Grin  Thanks for that, I needed the laugh! A big problem is that I dislike speaking at all. Let alone for 5 minutes. I really don't have all that much to say!! What are the rest of the assignments like? Hopefully less cringe-y.

There are no other assignments.  All you have to do is sit down and write a 500 word document about your position on a subject, then read it in front of a camera.  

For the second video, change a handful of words to stuffier, more collegiate-sounding ones, print out an 8.5x11 visual aid (monochrome is fine) that is at least tangentially related to your subject, and hold it up once or twice.  Oh, and brush any Cheetos dust off your shirt before you start.

I put Public Speaking off for the essentially the same reasons you described and when it was over I realized that, in comparison to pretty much any other college course I've ever taken, it was a stroll down a tree-lined promenade with a fine lady and a white poodle.

Thank you. I'm still dreading it, but it helps a lot to know that someone just like me got through it OK.   Blush
They must have changed it, because there are 4 touchstones in addition to the 4 milestones.... two written assignments and two videos.
(07-13-2020, 09:22 PM)monchevy Wrote: They must have changed it, because there are 4 touchstones in addition to the 4 milestones.... two written assignments and two videos.

The two "assignments" are just fill-in-the-blank outlines.  They're really more about organizing your presentations than a separate project.
(07-13-2020, 10:59 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 09:22 PM)monchevy Wrote: They must have changed it, because there are 4 touchstones in addition to the 4 milestones.... two written assignments and two videos.

The two "assignments" are just fill-in-the-blank outlines.  They're really more about organizing your presentations than a separate project.

I did the first one last night, and it was 500 words about creating a speech that it turns out you won't even be giving in the course! I thought they'd all be connected to/steps toward the same speech, but apparently not. 

The subject matter is more complicated than I expected (lots of theories and terms to remember), but I will plow through it.
[-] The following 2 users Like monchevy's post:
  • LongRoad, rachel83az
How many videos of you talking you must send??

I thought the 4 assignments were videos.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
Last 2 are videos
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(07-14-2020, 09:52 AM)cerich67 Wrote: Last 2 are videos

Cool, i will try to take it in order to don't rule out COSC.

Although I don't know if I can finish the courses that I have left in Sophia.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
so what timeframe is reasonable to finish the course I have two other course going on right now and some cleps to take can I do this course over two weekends? I am also an introverted person so it is good to know others like myself are also in or gone on the same boat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JEric's post:
  • monchevy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 105 52,178 10 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 275 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,860 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 601 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,957 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares