Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Texas College Free Semester
(10-04-2021, 03:35 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 02:40 PM)RiverM Wrote: I finally got accepted into STC. YMMV, but it was a grueling process and everyone I talked to gave a different answer. I began the process at the beginning of August and followed up once a week. My warning is, if you want to take them up on this - START YESTERDAY.

Hopefully, I can get into a fall course to get the 1,700 and then register for better courses for the spring!

I sent my transcript in mid-August and forgot about registration. I tried to register for courses today for the second half of the semester, and kept getting TSI errors. I called advisement, and they cleared me for all the courses I got rejections for. LOL. My transcript still hasn't been evaluated.

Lucky, I called advising, they referred me to admissions - who admitted many times they didn't monitor their admissions@ email address! They made me go thru the whole process of taking the TSI exams, even though I sent them transcripts. What a pain.
gams007 Wrote:If I only can use it for 4 weeks CBE only it a robbery Angry 

You literally got freebie sponsored by US government - and you are not even citizen/permanent resident of the US! What about being grateful instead of calling it robbery? Oh, the entitlement. Seriously.

gams007 Wrote:Another thing that is very sad you need to score minimum 80 points to get 3 credits

That's a very typical threshold for CBE programs.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 2 users Like NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • MNomadic, RiverM
Just finished filling out the application and am in the process of sending in all of my transcripts right now.

I have a couple of questions: what proctoring do the CBE courses use? Is there a list of available CBE courses somewhere? Do the non CBE courses require proctored exams?

I'm hoping to knock out Calc (maybe), English Comp II, and a business course or two. Maybe it would be better to do non-CBE courses. Hmm...
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
UPD. Oh, I found info about proctoring. They use Respondus Lockdown Browser. It seems to be similar to rpnow.

rachel83az Wrote:Is there a list of available CBE courses somewhere?

Here is a list of courses: https://www.southtexascollege.edu/academics/courses/
Select "Spring 2022" and "online". That'll give you the full list of available online classes for the term, to narrow down to CBE, type "cbe" in a search field.

Syllabi for previous terms are available here: https://southtexascollege.campusconcourse.com/search?
CBE sessions are labeled with letter "K", e.g. K1-K:
https://southtexascollege.campusconcours...8Spring%29\

rachel83az Wrote:Do the non CBE courses require proctored exams?

After a brief syllabi repo search I could conclude that at least some non-CBE courses do not required proctoring.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

[-] The following 3 users Like NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • jch, MNomadic, rachel83az
(10-04-2021, 02:48 PM)gams007 Wrote: I recommend everyone to start sending your transcript they do not accept Credly so you have to send your transcript evaluated by TESU to be official.
I call them regarding the credly and they don't even know what it is.

you need to send your transcript to admissions@southtexascollege.edu,
once you apply do not wait to get approved. Then you can call them once approved and tell them that you have send your official transcript days ago they will move fast to evaluate this. This was a tip from one academic coach that is assisting me.

Just to follow up on this (and make sure I'm interpreting this correctly) are you saying that if you are enrolled at TESU but have yet to take any courses with them but you have ACE credits which TESU has accepted to send your transcript evaluated by TESU as a workaround since STC doesn't know know about credly/ace?
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
I was told very explicitly that only bachelors-degree seeking students could take the CBE courses? Did anyone else confirm otherwise?
(10-06-2021, 09:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just finished filling out the application and am in the process of sending in all of my transcripts right now.

I have a couple of questions: what proctoring do the CBE courses use? Is there a list of available CBE courses somewhere? Do the non CBE courses require proctored exams?

I'm hoping to knock out Calc (maybe), English Comp II, and a business course or two. Maybe it would be better to do non-CBE courses. Hmm...

Rachel they use lockdown browser for proctoring each CBE exam, it has 6 pretest and 6 post test, the pretest is to check your comprehension of the material once you see you can score 80% of the multiple choice questions yo can go for the post test that in the test that count for your grade.
you need to 12 in total proctored exams the minimum score to pass is 80 points.
I saw English and Calc also for CBE proctored exams, if you compare others proctor exams like study.com you only do one and you 70% you pass here is more difficult you need to master the material. If you prefer just do the none CBE courses are not so heavy.
I put here a pdf attachment just take a look.

(10-06-2021, 05:40 PM)AllThose299s Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 02:48 PM)gams007 Wrote: I recommend everyone to start sending your transcript they do not accept Credly so you have to send your transcript evaluated by TESU to be official.

once you apply do not wait to get approved. Then you can call them once approved and tell them that you have send your official transcript days ago they will move fast to evaluate this. This was a tip from one academic coach that is assisting me.

Just to follow up on this (and make sure I'm interpreting this correctly) are you saying that if you are enrolled at TESU but have yet to take any courses with them but you have ACE credits which TESU has accepted to send your transcript evaluated by TESU as a workaround since STC doesn't know know about credly/ace?

Yes request a transcript from TESU so they can see officially which courses you have done.
I try the credly/ace they do not accept it, they said that is unofficial they think I'm the one who are sending it.
This also happened to once when I enroll at waubonsee community college they do not accept it, I hear the same story they do not know what credly is.

Attached Files
.pdf   student-cbe-handbook.pdf (Size: 1.53 MB / Downloads: 8)

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
[-] The following 2 users Like gams007's post:
  • AllThose299s, NoStudentNoCry
(10-06-2021, 07:13 PM)RiverM Wrote: I was told very explicitly that only bachelors-degree seeking students could take the CBE courses? Did anyone else confirm otherwise?

I was told the same. I called admissions earlier today.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

(10-06-2021, 08:45 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(10-06-2021, 07:13 PM)RiverM Wrote: I was told very explicitly that only bachelors-degree seeking students could take the CBE courses? Did anyone else confirm otherwise?

I was told the same. I called admissions earlier today.

As we found out with the free term at Strayer, this isn't a huge issue. You can just tell them whatever they want to hear in order to take the courses you want.

Here's their prior learning assessment handbook: https://academicaffairs.southtexascolleg...manual.pdf
No mention of ACE at all. They don't take DSST either.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 2 users Like jch's post:
  • MNomadic, rachel83az
(10-06-2021, 05:40 PM)AllThose299s Wrote:

This is not going to work.  We refer to it as "credit laundering" which is trying to have a college that doesn't take ACE take it anyway, since it's on a college transcript elsewhere.  TESU's transcript will show that the courses are NOT taken at TESU - they are transfer credits; they also show what types of credit it is (so on mine, I have TESU-ACE, TESU-DSST, TESU-CLEP, TESU-NCCRS).

Schools generally will ONLY take courses directly from the school you took the credits at (so on mine, I also transferred in credits from 4 colleges - the school I want to transfer to will want those 4 transcripts, and will look at the credits taken at each school and process each one separately).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,886 Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,013 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,203 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,530 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 660 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,796 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,815 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,219 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 581 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM