Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed Strategies
Regarding Synicaal's legit vs non-legit ways to take SL exams. What is the rule with open book exams? Is the textbook in front of you ok, but having the ebook open is not? Or can you not CTR-F in the ebook during the exam? I am trying to do things by the book (no pun intended), but I also feel like it is not cheating to use the tools that are explicitly allowed. Thanks in advance for your advice.
melody75 Wrote:Anyway, I don't have any study tips but I do have financial tip. And that is promo code is everywhere so try to look for one before you start. For SL there is promo code "Ash100" and it'll take off 100 dollar so you're just paying for the class. You can try cancelling auto renewal plan and using it next month or look out for other coupons, SL is very generous with their promotion.

Any Idea how long this is good for. I really wanted to wait to finish up my 2 study.com courses I have left. 1 is just about done and then I still have one with the 4 essays left so I'm looking about about 2 weeks before I want to start but I don't want to miss 100$ off. seeing how I can probably knock out two of the four courses in a couple days each.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
homeschoolmom1 Wrote:Regarding Synicaal's legit vs non-legit ways to take SL exams. What is the rule with open book exams? Is the textbook in front of you ok, but having the ebook open is not? Or can you not CTR-F in the ebook during the exam? I am trying to do things by the book (no pun intended), but I also feel like it is not cheating to use the tools that are explicitly allowed. Thanks in advance for your advice.
If in doubt, ask the school. If they say, "Yes" then it's OK. If they don't then it isn't. I think it's great to have non-proctored choices, but if they are regularly abused, they will quickly be eliminated.

This is also part of what I mean when I say some people are just good at taking tests. There are a lot of people for which searching the text would not work...either because they aren't good at crafting searches, they can't scan text for information quickly, or they don't interpret test questions efficiently. I never got to use an eBook on any exams, but a few were open book. I was able, with the help of a few sticky tags, find answers (or confirmations of answers I was pretty sure of) when I needed to. Some of my classmates thought that open book was useless.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
homeschoolmom1 Wrote:Regarding Synicaal's legit vs non-legit ways to take SL exams. What is the rule with open book exams? Is the textbook in front of you ok, but having the ebook open is not? Or can you not CTR-F in the ebook during the exam? I am trying to do things by the book (no pun intended), but I also feel like it is not cheating to use the tools that are explicitly allowed. Thanks in advance for your advice.

SL Courses will tell you if the book is allowed on exams/finals. If it is then its not cheating. However no one learns much from just searching E-Text books to find answers to earn a grade. That's what I meant by no-legit way. Its not a cheating way as I would next post a way to cheat on anything. I am referring to the open book courses from SL.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yes, I understand. Thanks a lot to both of you for clarifying.

Here is what the Straighterline (non-final) exam policy is - copied directly off the test's cover page (I redded the important parts):

During the examination:

This Exam is required: You must complete all graded exams in order to receive a final grade for this course.

You have a limited amount of time to complete this Exam: This assessment is timed, the timer will start as soon as you click to open the exam. You must complete this assessment in one sitting. Once time has expired the assessment will submit itself automatically.

You will see only one question at a time.

Unauthorized materials or aids are not permitted during each Exam: Whether or not you are taking this Exam in a proctored environment, students are expected to adhere to this policy.

For final exams, please refer to the Exam's Permitted Material list to verify what materials are permitted during the exam.

All graded non final examinations are open book. Below are the materials permitted:
1 sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 paper (front and back) of prepared notes
Blank scratch paper
A pen or pencil
A calculator (for math and science courses requiring calculations only, please note what type of calculator [graphing vs. scientific] is permitted for your specific exam)
*Note the absence of "textbook / ebook" on this list? That is cause for concern!

Use of the following resources, services and aids during this exam is strictly prohibited by the StraighterLine Student Handbook:
Additional texts or reference materials not listed within the course syllabus
Search engines (Google.com, Ask.com, Yahoo Answers, etc.)
Question and answer sites
Study sites
Tutoring
Forums
Chat applications
Landline or cellular phones
Or any other resources, services or websites not explicitly permitted in the exam detail spreadsheet or authorized by a StraighterLine staff member in writing

Exam Review: As soon as your exam is submitted your exam will be scored automatically based on the answer key and you will be able to review all questions from your exam.
By submitting your answers for this graded exam to StraighterLine, you confirm that this work is your own and that you are attempting this exam in accordance with the StraighterLine Academic Honesty Policy.
cookderosa Wrote:Here is what the Straighterline (non-final) exam policy is - copied directly off the test's cover page (I redded the important parts):

This varies by course - My son took 8 or so SL courses and I believe 2 were closed book and the rest open book.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Thank you so much, cookderosa, for posting those rules, but I have to admit, now I am even more confused. You write that those are non-final-exam. So they are for the quizzes? And I don't think they are written very clearly regarding the texbooks, as you highlighted in red. I will try to compare the final exam rules on the Straighterline website between closed book and open book and report back.
homeschoolmom1 Wrote:Thank you so much, cookderosa, for posting those rules, but I have to admit, now I am even more confused. You write that those are non-final-exam. So they are for the quizzes? And I don't think they are written very clearly regarding the texbooks, as you highlighted in red. I will try to compare the final exam rules on the Straighterline website between closed book and open book and report back.

What classes are you looking at taking?
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
With help from the other thread about good first courses with SL, I was thinking Intro to religion, cultural anthropology, business ethics or medical terminology. Or maybe environmental science.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SDC Plans and speed for Database management StudentOLife 24 2,792 01-14-2021, 06:03 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
Wink Speed/Ease of completion - SL vs SDC vs Penn Foster TopHatWombat 15 3,178 05-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Speed up Study.com Videos on Mobile natshar 5 1,677 01-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Supermind
  Straighterline difficulty and speed travelgeek 3 5,645 12-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Cdnbackpacker
  Shmoop testing strategies germanmommy 6 1,326 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Last Post: BrandeX