Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop testing strategies
Hi there,
I started the Modern European History, and even after reading all the material which takes forever I am not doing so well on the tests.
What has been a good strategy for you guys taking this or any of their classes?
DSST - Health and Human Development - 436
DSST - Computing and Information Technology - 413
With Shmoop, my strategy was to keep every tab open in a unit as I worked my way through, so that I could refer back quickly during the timed test. The testing terms say don't use Google or other outside sources, so I didn't.

I passed a lot of Shmoop courses this way. Good luck!
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Don't feel too bad. I hated shmoop. And it wasn't because of the course content. I love history and literature and there wasn't a course I took that I hadn't already read about 95% of the material outside of college courses - just for fun - much of it multiple times. I did finish several courses with them and did ok but found the format to be very messy, too many broken links, disorganized. My number one biggest complaint was that the tests are poorly designed. I guess its part of them trying to make the tests cheat-proof but I would rather have a straightforward proctored exam any day of the week. I wish I could give some pointers but never did find anything that worked consistently. I would just say keep plugging away. Its one way to earn a lot of credits for cheap.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Keep a tab open to use just for searches and try to use specific keywords in searches to narrow down results.
The biggest challenge for me with Shmoops longer courses was feeling tired and drained because I was putting many hours in at a time. Take a break, go for a walk outside and eat ice cream (last one optional, but I can't stop eating Cornettos)
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
They sure aren't making it easy. It's a lot of material to cover. I am just having a hard time focusing on that stuff, since most is just boring to me. So I read and read and then wonder what I read. I first started History I and I did awful on the test so I switched to Modern European History. I took another Unit test yesterday, and felt pretty comfortable but only got 48/60.

I have another Math Class left. Are those as difficult too? I might need to do it with a different source then
DSST - Health and Human Development - 436
DSST - Computing and Information Technology - 413
I feel your pain. I am currently sitting at a 69 on this course. Passing is 70 I believe. I would love to get a 48 on a test! I started college algebra on shmoop then I discovered you had to do both algebra 1 and 2 for it to count as 3 credits and I said forget that. I then started Modern European History because I feel like I need something to show for the $87 subscription. I am praying I get it done within the month. I would suggest Aleks for math. Good luck.
TESU - BSBA-GM

54/120 CR

BM- 15 CR
ALEKS- College Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Trig, Intro to stats
Shmoop- Modern Europen History
Strighterline- English Comp II
CLEP- Analyzing and Interpreting lit- 55 (6cr)
The Institutes- Insurance Ethics (2cr)
Sophia- Developing Effective Teams (1cr)
Study.com- Principles of Management, Information Systems and Computer Applications, Organizational Management, Intro to Computing
(found answer)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing on Sophia elledee2020 6 2,243 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: elledee2020
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,471 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,876 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,128 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  CIS Testing Discount natshar 8 1,462 05-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: romoh
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,260 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,157 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,724 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 763 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561