Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors
Big Grin 
Your Location: Texas, United States 
Your Age: Almost 40
What kind of degree do you want?: Any - I am a working professional and ideally a Risk Management/Insurance degree would be great but ANY Bachelors in really any business field is fine.  I'd consider management, administration, IT, whatever... I would like to avoid as much math as possible.   
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 12

Iona College Total Credits: 6
BUS 130 Legal Environment of Business, 3.00, B+
ENG 120 Commnctn Skills: Writing 1, 3.00, B

Community College of Denver Total Credits: 6
ENG 122 ENGLISH COMPOSITION II, 3.00, B
SOC 102 INTRO TO SOCIOLOGY II, 3.00, B

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: NONE. I HAD SOME STUDY.COM COURSES STARTED BUT I STOPPED TO BETTER PLAN WHAT I NEED.

CERTS/LICENSES: I am a licensed realtor.  License is on hold b/c it's not currently what I do but I took all the courses and everything is in good standing.  

I have a TX insurance adjuster's license.

Budget: I have around 10k.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Kids, spouse, pets, full time job. 
Dedicated time to study: I can likely commit to an hour or two every weeknight and 4 hours on the weekend.  Between 9-14 hours per week
Timeline: I would like to finish in the next 12-18 months.  My oldest son just started college and I need to finish before him Big Grin I told myself I would and I've been putting it off too long.  
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my job offers some type of reimbursement for Gen Ed courses that are job or business related, provided by accredited institutions and pre approved by my HR dept.  I prob would not utilize this.

I have read a lot on this forum (thank you all for what you have put here).  I initially was thinking that TAMUC would be the best route to go but I see it mentioned less that it used to be.  Happy to look elsewhere - UMPI, WGU,... it doesn't matter.  It has been awhile since I have been in school.  I am historically a good test taker.  My written communication is fine but I do not enjoy or excel writing a lot of papers.  I prefer quizzes, tests, etc.
(09-21-2023, 10:26 AM)ATM925 Wrote: Your Location: Texas, United States 
Your Age: Almost 40
What kind of degree do you want?: Any - I am a working professional and ideally a Risk Management/Insurance degree would be great but ANY Bachelors in really any business field is fine.  I'd consider management, administration, IT, whatever... I would like to avoid as much math as possible.   
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 12

Iona College Total Credits: 6
BUS 130 Legal Environment of Business, 3.00, B+
ENG 120 Commnctn Skills: Writing 1, 3.00, B

Community College of Denver Total Credits: 6
ENG 122 ENGLISH COMPOSITION II, 3.00, B
SOC 102 INTRO TO SOCIOLOGY II, 3.00, B

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: NONE. I HAD SOME STUDY.COM COURSES STARTED BUT I STOPPED TO BETTER PLAN WHAT I NEED.

CERTS/LICENSES: I am a licensed realtor.  License is on hold b/c it's not currently what I do but I took all the courses and everything is in good standing.  

I have a TX insurance adjuster's license.

Budget: I have around 10k.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Kids, spouse, pets, full time job. 
Dedicated time to study: I can likely commit to an hour or two every weeknight and 4 hours on the weekend.  Between 9-14 hours per week
Timeline: I would like to finish in the next 12-18 months.  My oldest son just started college and I need to finish before him Big Grin I told myself I would and I've been putting it off too long.  
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my job offers some type of reimbursement for Gen Ed courses that are job or business related, provided by accredited institutions and pre approved by my HR dept.  I prob would not utilize this.

I have read a lot on this forum (thank you all for what you have put here).  I initially was thinking that TAMUC would be the best route to go but I see it mentioned less that it used to be.  Happy to look elsewhere - UMPI, WGU,... it doesn't matter.  It has been awhile since I have been in school.  I am historically a good test taker.  My written communication is fine but I do not enjoy or excel writing a lot of papers.  I prefer quizzes, tests, etc.

Check out the ACE credit guides/wiki for transfer to SNHU, WGU, UMPI etc. You can knock out a lot of credits. ACE credits don't work for most standards schools though (some take a couple as gen electives...maybe). So definitely take them expecting to go to schools like the above. Sites like Sophia have partner schools you can check out.

UMPI went to brightspace which elminated tests mostly. Its now totally project and paper based so keep that in mind.
TAMUC isn't as popular as UMPI for one simple reason: most students here aren't from Texas. It often makes sense for Texas students to get a TAMUC degree, even if the subject isn't the one the student wanted, because 1.) for Texas residents it's cheaper per session than UMPI and 2.) it's a known Texas school. The name can be important for Texas residents. But there aren't a lot of non-Texas students who are specifically looking for the kind of degrees TAMUC offers. It doesn't mean that they're bad or slow, it just means that we haven't had a lot of Texas students for a while. Big Grin

If you prefer not to do papers, UMPI is probably not going to be the school for you. I'm not sure that TAMUC would be either, however. I don't know if there are any exams in the TAMUC degree at all, but I'm pretty sure it's at least mostly papers. It depends on why you dislike writing papers, though. Do you struggle to write long, struggle to ideate, or both?

That leaves you mainly with TESU. Study.com and Sophia are mostly quizzes/exams, though there are some papers. Especially in the capstone.

For a BSBA at TESU, you need 3 math courses. Statistics can be taken at Sophia and is open-book. Even students who struggle with math have praised the Sophia Statistics course as being straightforward. Ditto for College Algebra. The third one would be CSM Learn. It's not really a math class and it's not really not a math class either. A lot of it is reading things that happen to have numbers and interpreting what it says. Things like invoices, bus schedules, etc. It's... pretty simple. Less than Algebra but also slightly more complicated than basic College Math.

Or you could do the BS Professional Studies or BS Organizational Leadership at TESU. Those require just College Algebra. CSM Learn might also be acceptable.

Not counting gen eds, you can see what is required for the Professional Studies degree here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Organizational Leadership here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

If you'd prefer something like a BA History or a BA English, those definitely don't require Algebra. I think CSM Learn would work, but so would Sophia's Introduction to College Mathematics (which is lower than Algebra).

WGU isn't out of the question, but it's not devoid of papers either. I think in the business subjects there may be more papers than not? I'm not 100% sure about that. I would go looking at the WGU subreddit to see what people are saying. The only Business degree plan for WGU we have at the moment is the IT Management one: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan But we could certainly assist if you'd prefer, say, a BSBA Marketing from WGU. However, even with maximum transfer, most students need at least 2 terms and sometimes 3 to finish their WGU degree. If this could be an issue for your budget, you might not want WGU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@ATM925, Welcome to the board, you've completed the addendum and template with the additional details I love reading... With what you have provided, I would still recommend the TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership as it meets your "Business, Leadership, Management" type requirement and hits all the spots. By following advice... you can be like this person who is about to complete the degree in the next session or two: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...accounting
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Since you're in TX, TAMUC is really too good to pass up (imo); especially as in your case of looking for a business related 'check box bachelor'  - here is the wiki page for it - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I agree that TAMUC BAASOL is a strong option for you, although WGU BSBAITM is likely to be faster, easier, and possibly even less expensive: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

There are a few things that make WGU faster/easier:
  • lots of courses consisting of a single multiple-choice test, or one test and one short paper, so if you cram/test well, then you can progress quickly
  • lots of information on reddit/quizlet/discord about courses, so you can study more efficiently for tests and have a better idea about requirements for papers
  • no grades, so the lowest passing score is equivalent to a perfect score - no wasted time on getting an "A"
  • unlimited attempts for papers, so there's much less pressure, but they tell you what needs to be fixed so that you should be able to pass on the second attempt at most
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
My vote is TAMUC because you're a TX resident - and you can do 90cr (so for you 76cr) through Sophia/SDC/ACE providers. Even though you'll do a lot of papers in the TAMUC degree, it's only 10 classes - the rest can be done easily, cheaply, and quickly via Sophia (or whatever).

Second choice is UMPI. It MAY be the same price as TAMUC, because you can go very quickly through the courses, meaning even though it's twice as much as TAMUC for you ($1,500/8-week term), most are finishing in 2 terms ($3000 total). TAMUC seems to take longer, so 4 7-wk terms will be the same price. If you can finish faster though, then it will be cheaper at TAMUC. Just not sure how fast people are finishing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 986 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 463 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 357 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 747 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 617 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Planning help for Bachelors in Healthcare Administration Danyr09 9 530 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Danyr09
  Best option for bachelors Taochoa90 1 287 02-20-2024, 04:12 AM
  Degree Planning - From Bachelors to Doctorate fromgedtoPhD 13 966 02-16-2024, 10:33 PM
Question I found this Forum and am now Inspired to get a Bachelors, Please Advise! nicecoolego 12 1,275 12-03-2023, 12:20 AM
Last Post: nicecoolego
  Coroner degree pathways? Second bachelors hr99 7 564 11-12-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Lady_Gumshoe