Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting the WGU BSCSIA journey, early 2023
A little over a year ago, I had just applied to WGU's BS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance program and I somehow found DegreeForum in the midst of searching Google for information. My plan at the time was to start WGU in February 2022. I knew nothing about alternate sources of credit (other than certifications), block transfers of associate degrees, or anything like that. Thanks to this place, I snatched up a few ACE courses and completed the BoG AAS from Pierpont and have saved myself at least one six-month WGU term (or at least $4000). I'll now be starting at WGU in February 2023, and I'll definitely take a $4000 savings in exchange for starting a year later than originally planned.

How It Started (initial pre-enrollment spreadsheet)
How It's Going (final pre-enrollment spreadsheet)
Final Transcript Evaluation

A few notes on the journey so far...
  • I submitted my College Composition CLEP score, my AP Microeconomics exam score, three completed Sophia courses (Environmental Science, Project Management, and Introduction to Web Development), and my IT certifications directly to WGU before deciding to go ahead and get the Pierpont degree.
  • I decided to go for the Pierpont degree after seeing Life_One's thread from 2019 about their transfer experience. That block gen ed transfer looked really good.
  • I submitted all of the above to Pierpont as well, and all were accepted for credit.
  • I started working on College Algebra from ALEKS since 1) I still needed 3 math or science credits to finish my Pierpont requirements and 2) College Algebra was part of the WGU curriculum, but I wasn't able to commit as much time to it as I needed in order to graduate from Pierpont in December. Their next graduation would've been in May and I wasn't willing to wait that long to start at WGU.
  • I completed the CSM Course to fulfill that final math/science requirement from Pierpont.
  • After some confusion on WGU's part, my Pierpont transcript was accepted for all gen ed requirements (including College Algebra and Statistics).
As it stands, I'll be starting with 66 of 122 of the required CUs already done. I'd like to be able to commit enough time to work on this to be able to complete the final 56 CUs in a single six-month term, but if not, two is definitely doable. (Especially since I'm now in a job that'll reimburse my tuition in its entirety.)

Looking forward to February 1!

(The BSCSIA curriculum is about to undergo some minor changes soon, but I figure this is still relevant info.)
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
I didn't know that WGU lets you skip general ed if you have a BoG AAS from Pierpont. That saves a bunch of time.

It looks like you got near the max transfer. (10CU more if you did 3 SDC courses)
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(01-02-2023, 03:18 PM)LevelUP Wrote: It looks like you got near the max transfer. (10CU more if you did 3 SDC courses)

Yeah, I considered (and asked around on the Discord) if I should try to get in one or two of those courses and the consensus was at this point, I should just take them at WGU, as taking them at Sophia or SDC wouldn't likely save me a term and thus would cost me more money. Made sense.
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
(01-02-2023, 04:48 PM)raekwon Wrote:
(01-02-2023, 03:18 PM)LevelUP Wrote: It looks like you got near the max transfer. (10CU more if you did 3 SDC courses)

Yeah, I considered (and asked around on the Discord) if I should try to get in one or two of those courses and the consensus was at this point, I should just take them at WGU, as taking them at Sophia or SDC wouldn't likely save me a term and thus would cost me more money. Made sense.

I went to WGU, and I wish I had brought a tiny bit more in. What courses do you need? You should consider bringing the additional coursework in, especially with something like Sophia, where you can complete a course in 1-3 days. Just my $0.02
(01-03-2023, 01:46 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

I went to WGU, and I wish I had brought a tiny bit more in. What courses do you need? You should consider bringing the additional coursework in, especially with something like Sophia, where you can complete a course in 1-3 days. Just my $0.02

Again, I considered that and decided it wasn't worth it at this point. The only courses I have remaining that can be opted-out of via ACE credit are...
- C175: Data Management - Foundations
- C173: Scripting and Programming - Foundations
- C170: Data Management - Applications

Two of those are available on Sophia and one is on SDC. The cheapest I could bring these in for would be $99 for one or two Sophia courses, $200 for the SDC course, or $299 for all of them. (I could conceivably do one of them on Saylor for $5 but I dunno if even that is worth the pain of Saylor.)

Even if money wasn't a consideration... I'm starting in February, and the latest I'd be able to turn in completed courses in order to get them evaluated in time is January 5 (ie: two days from now).

I'll just take them at WGU.
(01-03-2023, 02:23 PM)raekwon Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 01:46 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

Again, I considered that and decided it wasn't worth it at this point. The only courses I have remaining that can be opted-out of via ACE credit are...
- C175: Data Management - Foundations
- C173: Scripting and Programming - Foundations
- C170: Data Management - Applications

Two of those are available on Sophia and one is on SDC. The cheapest I could bring these in for would be $99 for one or two Sophia courses, $200 for the SDC course, or $299 for all of them. (I could conceivably do one of them on Saylor for $5 but I dunno if even that is worth the pain of Saylor.)

Even if money wasn't a consideration... I'm starting in February, and the latest I'd be able to turn in completed courses in order to get them evaluated in time is January 5 (ie: two days from now).

I'll just take them at WGU.

Do what u gotta do. I honestly think youll be fine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSCSIA program changes raekwon 5 1,159 12-29-2022, 04:35 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Starting MSCSIA Imbanewbie 19 3,200 08-20-2022, 12:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Forum newbie headed to WGU for BSCSIA (I think) raekwon 11 1,934 12-21-2021, 12:42 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU changes to Business Undergrad starting March 1st 2020 AwardTour 9 2,655 12-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: terryd5150
  My WGU BS-CSIA Journey Life_One 19 6,264 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security Thorne 79 21,908 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Thorne