Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background?
Joeman200 Wrote:That's unfortunate to hear. I didn't really like their grading system for those papers either.

I got dinged on the descriptive paragraph as well because I didn't start with my topic sentence... I started describing the scene and then inserted my topic sentence (just like most fictional writing).

I also got dinged because I followed their directions for inserting my name and page number in with Microsoft Word. I guess their directions are not good enough, because that information also needs to be in the 1" margin.. I commented to them in the exit survey about how they should focus more of the grade on grammar and MLA style and less on .doc format and little things like that.

I'm all for my kids getting dinged. Seriously, I have no issue with that. But, have you ever had them completely kick back a paper and require re-submission?
cookderosa Wrote:I'm all for my kids getting dinged. Seriously, I have no issue with that. But, have you ever had them completely kick back a paper and require re-submission?

So he has to rewrite the whole thing? He can't just fix the problem area and resubmit? ?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:So he has to rewrite the whole thing? He can't just fix the problem area and resubmit? ?

Rec'd an apology from the "Course Director" today. Graders must use the rubric. As such, my son got an 80% on his original paper and does NOT have to resubmit. (20% off for the thesis statement not meeting the criteria). Win.
cookderosa Wrote:Rec'd an apology from the "Course Director" today. Graders must use the rubric. As such, my son got an 80% on his original paper and does NOT have to resubmit. (20% off for the thesis statement not meeting the criteria). Win.

Awesome!! Glad you spoke up!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Hey everyone, I know this thread is old but I’m impatiently waiting to hear back from SL. I’m in the middle of English Comp 101 and am confused. Is the research paper I’ve been “building” over the course the same as the argumentative essay? When I had to do the annotated bibliography I thought the research paper was on my choice. But then rereading the research paper instructions it says it’s an argumentative paper which made me believe the argumentative essay and research paper are the same. I’m on topic 9 now and have to submit the argumentative essay and the draft for the research paper so now I’m thinking I was wrong. I did the annotated bibliography on one of the topics for the argumentative essay. If they are supposed to be different. Do you think it would get flagged if I just submitted the same paper twice? Sorry if this is confusing! I think I’m overthinking and confusing myself again and again. 
O
(04-08-2019, 08:04 PM)Bkmb Wrote: Hey everyone, I know this thread is old but I’m impatiently waiting to hear back from SL. I’m in the middle of English Comp 101 and am confused. Is the research paper I’ve been “building” over the course the same as the argumentative essay? When I had to do the annotated bibliography I thought the research paper was on my choice. But then rereading the research paper instructions it says it’s an argumentative paper which made me believe the argumentative essay and research paper are the same. I’m on topic 9 now and have to submit the argumentative essay and the draft for the research paper so now I’m thinking I was wrong. I did the annotated bibliography on one of the topics for the argumentative essay. If they are supposed to be different. Do you think it would get flagged if I just submitted the same paper twice? Sorry if this is confusing! I think I’m overthinking and confusing myself again and again. 
O

The argumentative assignment is separate from your research paper. Just stick with your original plan and you'll be OK.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 89 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,649 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,198 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 551 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 367 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM