Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StraighterLine Managerial or Financial Accounting?
Found this while searching the forum today the writer was Wandac:

"My son is in SL Financial Accounting now. The 4 exams are 150 points each, Midterm 200, final 200. That's different than your spreadsheet. Another important difference one should consider is the amount of time they give you for the exams. For example, in Accounting 1 & 2, the exams were 25 questions each and you have 2 hours to complete each of them. In Financial Accounting, there are 25 questions and you only have 75 minutes to complete the exam. It's a real time crunch and one needs to have knowledge of the material in order to pass the exams in that amount of time.

Off-topic: Can anyone tell me the number of questions and time limit for the exams in Managerial Accounting? If it's like Financial, we may skip it. If it's like Accounting 1 & 2, then we'll consider it.

Another off-topic: The amount of errors on the Financial Accounting exams is unacceptable. My husband and I have looked over my son's exams, looked up the correct answers, done the calculations, etc., and there are quite a few errors on the exam. Accounting 1&2 exams did not have nearly as many errors as Financial Accounting exams have."
[-] The following 1 user Likes ECH90's post:
  • Ideas
Not sure if this has any bearing at all, but the book for Managerial accounting is older and is available on Amazon for around $16.00. I cannot read for extended periods on a computer screen so I find that helpful. The book for financial accounting is a 2018 version. (if you can read online forever this is not an issue)

To me, this also means there may be less help online. After I take quizzes I look up the questions that I get wrong online and take notes of the solutions. If it's a new course, or a new version of the course, that may not be available.
So basically it's a bit of a toss-up, then? I should google around and see if there's any reviews on both classes...
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
I had a 79% in Managerial Accounting and a 91% in Financial Accounting.
It won't really matter which one you decide, I would actually recommend taking both.
Then remove one of the courses in your MAN section of the AOS if you haven't taken it.
BTW, what's with all the Liberty courses? Those are expensive!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I went ahead and signed up for Financial Accounting; the stuff listed in the syllabus looked most similar to my Accounting 1 class I took two years ago; let's hope I still remember it, haha.
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
For whatever it's worth, I took Financial Accounting; taking the final exam tonight. Not too bad, but it's worth noting that the 1st exam CANNOT be retaken. This was confusing for me because the wording on the exam is the same as the rest, so it's impossible to realize that you *can't* retake until afterwards. I went back and forth wit support about it and was basically told it I misunderstood the wording, but oh well. Not going to fight it because I got a good enough score anyway, but I figured I would let y'all know. If you're like me and always take the first exam cold to get an idea for it since you can retake it, it's worth noting that you CAN'T retake this one.
(09-13-2017, 02:37 PM)Gymfan15 Wrote: For whatever it's worth, I took Financial Accounting; taking the final exam tonight. Not too bad, but it's worth noting that the 1st exam CANNOT be retaken. This was confusing for me because the wording on the exam is the same as the rest, so it's impossible to realize that you *can't* retake until afterwards. I went back and forth wit support about it and was basically told it I misunderstood the wording, but oh well. Not going to fight it because I got a good enough score anyway, but I figured I would let y'all know. If you're like me and always take the first exam cold to get an idea for it since you can retake it, it's worth noting that you CAN'T retake this one.

Can I ask how long the SL Financial Accounting class took to complete for you guys/gals?
Mmm, less than a week? I don't remember exactly. Didn't take *too* long. But, I also had a solid background in Accounting since I'd taken two eight-week courses in it a year ago, so that helped. If you had no background in accounting at all, I don't know how difficult it would be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,485 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Public Relations Thought and Practice and Managerial Communications TECEPs gentleman4561 5 1,450 06-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Accounting vs Business Admin Rustydroid 20 3,581 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student
  Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses AMRH94 10 2,813 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: AMRH94
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 5,839 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  2nd BA Degree in Accounting at TESU - Clarification Question acamp 21 4,368 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BSBA in Accounting or BS in CyberSecurity? acamp 11 2,668 03-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC & Straighterline Transcripts MichiganMax 4 1,543 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU not accepting straighterline email transcript dropout2PE2BSBA 2 1,291 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: dropout2PE2BSBA
  Are StraighterLine final exams made of questions asked in the previous exams? csyzarc 5 5,707 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Last Post: docmarvin