Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Business Statistics
It is looking like this is the course I am going to have to take to satisfy the requirement for my degree (considering ALEKS's situation with ACE) and was wondering if anybody has taking this course, and if so, how hard did you find it?

I am fretting tremendously about completing this class (math has never been my strong suit and statistics makes me nervous) and will definitely be using the 10 hours of tutoring included with the Straigterline membership. Has anybody used their tutoring service before?

Any recommendations for websites / YouTube channels that helped people finally "get" statistics?

I have yet to take a Straighterline course so I don't know how long it will take to complete and how challenging their quizzes / exams are compared to other ACE approved courses.

Thanks for any input!
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
*following* it's on my list for my son next year.
cookderosa Wrote:*following* it's on my list for my son next year.

I bought the book for my son just before discovering he could take Advanced Operations Management in place of Business Statistics - so he, being the math hater he is, jumped on that course instead. Now he has to take regular statistics, and that course at Straighterline looks much harder. Not to mention you have to print the entire textbook out because it's a Saylor "free" text. I can tell you from reviewing the text for Business Stats, it looks a lot more straightforward than SL's regular stats as well as ALEKS' stats.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:print the entire textbook out

i get that some people prefer a hard copy, but man this would be horrible for me personally. much easier to work with an electronic version.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I just finished this 2 days ago. I did well (or what I consider well for this class after what happened.... read ahead) with an 83. The non proctored quizzes were not terrible because you were given a good amount of time. If you looked thoroughly looked over the material you should do fine on them. That being said, time was a bit shorter on the final and my computer froze, by the time I got it back on and FINALLY got someone to reconnect with me through ProctorU I had lost 45 minutes. I went through the last 10 questions very quickly and ended up with a 63 on the final. Not my best, but I'll take it. I believe the final was 40 questions and 2 hours. The syllabus and the page where you go to take the exam have conflicting information, one says open book, one says no. I was happy that I had prepped everything in case it was true and it was, OPEN BOOK FINAL AND one sheets of front and backed typed or handwritten notes, along with the normal, calculator, pen, and scratch paper. If you go through and take the key elements and formulas from each sections as you go (I wish I had known to do this) then I think that would be the best strategy. It definitely made a tough class manageable!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kgaul's post:
  • acamp
jsd Wrote:i get that some people prefer a hard copy, but man this would be horrible for me personally. much easier to work with an electronic version.

My son can't deal with that - he needs hard copies. It's going to make his one term at WGU quite fun for us in terms of running my poor printer into the ground printing all the e-books out.
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:My son can't deal with that - he needs hard copies. It's going to make his one term at WGU quite fun for us in terms of running my poor printer into the ground printing all the e-books out.

I used to use Robinson Curriculum, and back then, the only books you could get were either antique (1900) or you would print them out. So, I painstakingly printed out 200+ books, bound and covered them for our Robinson library. (this is no longer the case, but "how to print RC books" was a big part of my life for a long time). Anyway, 2 suggestions you may or may not already know about. 1) you need a duplexing laser printer. I've owned 2 - both Brothers. My current one is th HL-L2320D (on Brother printers, the "D" means duplex - which means double sided). I buy cheap laser toner for about $15 and that prints over 2300 pages. If you are inclined, you can buy cases of paper that has been 3 hole punched and keep your books in 3-ring binders. I bound mine with floss and contact cement - cardstock covers, but haven't done that in a decade. My second suggestion is the one I do now, which is to download the ebook to my computer and send it to Staples/Office Max/Office Depot. I get 20% off print job mailers all the time. Rack rate is $10 per 100 printed pages on twenty-pound white. It's not a terrible price, but it's better with a coupon Wink
I bought the book and used a hardcopy
cookderosa Wrote:I used to use Robinson Curriculum, and back then, the only books you could get were either antique (1900) or you would print them out. So, I painstakingly printed out 200+ books, bound and covered them for our Robinson library. (this is no longer the case, but "how to print RC books" was a big part of my life for a long time). Anyway, 2 suggestions you may or may not already know about. 1) you need a duplexing laser printer. I've owned 2 - both Brothers. My current one is th HL-L2320D (on Brother printers, the "D" means duplex - which means double sided). I buy cheap laser toner for about $15 and that prints over 2300 pages. If you are inclined, you can buy cases of paper that has been 3 hole punched and keep your books in 3-ring binders. I bound mine with floss and contact cement - cardstock covers, but haven't done that in a decade. My second suggestion is the one I do now, which is to download the ebook to my computer and send it to Staples/Office Max/Office Depot. I get 20% off print job mailers all the time. Rack rate is $10 per 100 printed pages on twenty-pound white. It's not a terrible price, but it's better with a coupon Wink

Great suggestions - since I've been homeschooling for 15 years, I learned a long while ago about the importance of a good duplex printer and cheap generic toner. If anyone else prints a bunch, you just have to do this - and for the love of all that is good in the world, ditch the inkjet printer! Pre-punched paper is amazing as well if you intend to use binders - the last time I printed a 300 page book and had to sit there with my 3-hole-punch, I wanted to smash things by the time I was done.

It looks like my son may end up taking Stats via Study.com rather than SL at this point - but it's still up in the air.

rowan555 Wrote:Great suggestions - since I've been homeschooling for 15 years, I learned a long while ago about the importance of a good duplex printer and cheap generic toner. If anyone else prints a bunch, you just have to do this - and for the love of all that is good in the world, ditch the inkjet printer! Pre-punched paper is amazing as well if you intend to use binders - the last time I printed a 300 page book and had to sit there with my 3-hole-punch, I wanted to smash things by the time I was done.

It looks like my son may end up taking Stats via Study.com rather than SL at this point - but it's still up in the air.

Keep me posted, I'm not crossing that bridge just yet - maybe ALEKS will renew.... one can hope.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 534 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 188 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,388 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 440 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 348 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 346 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,924 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 729 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 444 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 3,168 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood