Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline -- and vs. Study.com?
I am sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to locate it through search, so if someone wants to just link me to a thread, go for it.

How difficult are SL courses to take, if you don't already know the material?  How quickly can one reasonably move through them?  Is it unreasonable to consider taking 4 SL courses in 1-2 months, while still living life in between?

And how does the SL difficulty/structure compare to Study.com?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
my opinion only...
I feel like Study.com would be better if you don't know the materials. Straighterline would be for stuff you already have some knowledge/experience in. That's just me.
Study is straightforward and bite sized and steady paced. Much easier digested and tested on an unknown topic.
Straighterline has two textbooks, and one is just an E book version of the big college course textbooks you'd buy for a brick and mortar classroom. Way too much stuff to cover to make it worthwhile to take if time and cost are important to you! (I really can't explain it well, but I'm trying!)
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
[-] The following 2 users Like BingCherry's post:
  • a2jc4life, aviator guy
(09-07-2017, 06:23 PM)BingCherry Wrote: my opinion only...
I feel like Study.com would be better if you don't know the materials. Straighterline would be for stuff you already have some knowledge/experience in. That's just me.
Study is straightforward and bite sized and steady paced. Much easier digested and tested on an unknown topic.
Straighterline has two textbooks, and one is just an E book version of the big college course textbooks you'd buy for a brick and mortar classroom. Way too much stuff to cover to make it worthwhile to take if time and cost are important to you! (I really can't explain it well, but I'm trying!)

I think I get what you're saying.  Study.com's content is more streamlined?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

Yes. It's not a massive amount of textbook "busy work" to read and study and have your eyes glaze over on.  Cool
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
[-] The following 1 user Likes BingCherry's post:
  • a2jc4life
SL is more straightforward for most classes if the you aren't trying to learn the material. Skipping straight to the quizzes and searching for the answers (since all quizzes/ midterms are open book) is what I did for the 30 hours I finished. Getting enough points to pass prior to taking the final is ideal, that way you'll be able to just click through. I believe there is a SL Dissertation thread a member was kind enough to make that lays out exactly how every course is weighed.
[-] The following 2 users Like nnahh's post:
  • a2jc4life, suzycupcake
Also, SL is textbook-based, while Study.com is video-based. You can read a transcript of the Study.com videos though, if you don't want to watch.

And, SL has a different scoring system. If I was worried about passing a course, I would probably take SL, because you can score less (even zero for some people) if you get high enough on the rest of the quizzes. With Study.com, you still have to get a certain score on the final in order to pass the course, even if you have high points from the quizzes.

I took at Ed4Credit course, and I thought it was similar in style to SL, but similar in scoring to Study.com. But I did well enough to pass, so I was fine with it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • sarg123
(09-07-2017, 06:09 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: I am sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to locate it through search, so if someone wants to just link me to a thread, go for it.

How difficult are SL courses to take, if you don't already know the material?  How quickly can one reasonably move through them?  Is it unreasonable to consider taking 4 SL courses in 1-2 months, while still living life in between?

And how does the SL difficulty/structure compare to Study.com?

IMO, Straighterline is the winner here because the test content is from their ebooks, not lectures, so you can skip the lectures and go directly to the book. SL tests are open book, so without being too obvious, you could "learn as you go" through each test. The majority of courses allow you to accumulate enough test points before your final that you can pass without passing the final. Study, I believe, requires passing the final no matter what- so if speed is of the essence, SL is faster.
I don't know the record here for a number of SL credits completed in a month, but my guess is 10 courses (30 cr) wouldn't be too far fetched for a motivated adult- assuming you have a few hours each day to do it and the cash to buy the classes.

(09-07-2017, 08:30 PM)nnahh Wrote: SL is more straightforward for most classes if the you aren't trying to learn the material. Skipping straight to the quizzes and searching for the answers (since all quizzes/ midterms are open book) is what I did for the 30 hours I finished. Getting enough points to pass prior to taking the final is ideal, that way you'll be able to just click through. I believe there is a SL Dissertation thread a member was kind enough to make that lays out exactly how every course is weighed.

That's my "dissection" thread lol, but sometimes it feels like I'm writing a dissertation Wink
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...=dissected
Thank you!
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Most Straighterline courses are much faster than Study.com. Most of the time, you'll be given enough time on the quizzes to look up the answers. All the quizzes and the mid-term are open book. Some of the SL classes have open book finals, too.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life
(09-08-2017, 06:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:30 PM)nnahh Wrote: SL is more straightforward for most classes if the you aren't trying to learn the material. Skipping straight to the quizzes and searching for the answers (since all quizzes/ midterms are open book) is what I did for the 30 hours I finished. Getting enough points to pass prior to taking the final is ideal, that way you'll be able to just click through. I believe there is a SL Dissertation thread a member was kind enough to make that lays out exactly how every course is weighed.

That's my "dissection" thread lol, but sometimes it feels like I'm writing a dissertation Wink  
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...=dissected

That explains why I couldn't find it lol!
[-] The following 1 user Likes nnahh's post:
  • a2jc4life

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 91 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,321 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,478 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,674 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 601 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly