Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline negative reivews?
What's with all the negative reviews? Do a google search for straighterline reviews and you'll see what I mean. Was the service worse before? Are people angry that you actually have to study and work hard? A lot of people are complaining about being scammed out of money, what do they mean? I will be starting straighterline soon so I'd like to hear some feedback Smile
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
There will always be people that complain about stuff.

I think if you take a look at this forum, you will be able to read plenty of positive feedback on SL. There's a current thread right now about it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESUAbroad Wrote:What's with all the negative reviews? Do a google search for straighterline reviews and you'll see what I mean. Was the service worse before? Are people angry that you actually have to study and work hard? A lot of people are complaining about being scammed out of money, what do they mean? I will be starting straighterline soon so I'd like to hear some feedback Smile

Believe it or not, it's just that one crazy mentally unstable person who got caught cheating that's writing negative reviews over and over. I'm on mobile, so I can't post more on this, maybe someone else can.
I didn't experience any problems when I took my two courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I've taken a few.

I didn't find it to be a cakewalk, and I've no clue how some people are completing them as quickly as they are. But I prefer them greatly to butt-in-seat courses, and to the courses that require you to log in every day and participate in discussions and things, and for all the quirks and issues I personally ran into, I have no problems recommending SL.

I will say, in the interest of fairness, if you don't previously have a high level of understanding of the topic, and cannot commit to buckling down and learning the material, SL may not be the best route for you.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I've taken 4 classes so far, and will probably take 2-4 more before it's all said and done. I really LOVE SL. It's been a great experience with me. Smile
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Zero need to fear about being scammed Toastmaster. Those taking that position are the same people who sign up for a gym membership in December and cry foul come March when they have only attended a handful of times and haven't lost any weight. Straighterline is what you make of it. Cost value is incredible when one has prior knowledge in a subject and/or has the discipline to self learn through the provided information. All of the business and math classes because of my background were not difficult to complete. Religion & History are not my strong subjects but the modules provided more than enough information to allow me to stay engaged and feel comfortable during the exams.

Here's an example of how Straighterline can get away from you when selecting courses either not your strength or of real interest to you. My daughter added the once 'FREE' Information Technology course and never got past the second module because she could not connect with the information. Without my supervision, she might have kept renewing the monthly membership until completing it. That could feel like a bait & switch scam to someone not managing their account properly. When one takes ownership, it's pretty clear that life isn't scamming you.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
4 classes from SL. No problems with the courses. Very reasonable cost and less time vs. my local community college for the same courses. The two calc courses were good as a review from 20+ years. The only thing I don't like is that IMHO (some disagree with me on this) these credits aren't as portable as CLEP and DSST. I can live with that.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Thanks for all the honest and critical feedback everyone. Maybe we should give some positive reviews on those sites to balance out the disgruntled students Smile. I know I will leave a review after I have taken SL and it will be an honest review of their service(good or bad).
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Zero need to fear about being scammed Toastmaster. Those taking that position are the same people who sign up for a gym membership in December and cry foul come March when they have only attended a handful of times and haven't lost any weight. Straighterline is what you make of it. Cost value is incredible when one has prior knowledge in a subject and/or has the discipline to self learn through the provided information. All of the business and math classes because of my background were not difficult to complete. Religion & History are not my strong subjects but the modules provided more than enough information to allow me to stay engaged and feel comfortable during the exams.

Here's an example of how Straighterline can get away from you when selecting courses either not your strength or of real interest to you. My daughter added the once 'FREE' Information Technology course and never got past the second module because she could not connect with the information. Without my supervision, she might have kept renewing the monthly membership until completing it. That could feel like a bait & switch scam to someone not managing their account properly. When one takes ownership, it's pretty clear that life isn't scamming you.

High_Order1 Wrote:I've taken a few.

I didn't find it to be a cakewalk, and I've no clue how some people are completing them as quickly as they are. But I prefer them greatly to butt-in-seat courses, and to the courses that require you to log in every day and participate in discussions and things, and for all the quirks and issues I personally ran into, I have no problems recommending SL.

I will say, in the interest of fairness, if you don't previously have a high level of understanding of the topic, and cannot commit to buckling down and learning the material, SL may not be the best route for you.

Exactly this. If you are an adult learner who needs a basic overview or recap, SL works great. I already knew or had some basic knowledge or idea of much of the info from the courses I took successfully. When I tried Stats on the other hand? I didn't get far before I knew I couldn't learn it through SL. So I contacted them, explained the situation, and canceled my subscription.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISO Straighterline Books cookderosa 4 1,292 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline spammer / policy change needed dmjacobsen 10 2,068 10-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Straighterline slightly frustrating.. TESUAbroad 19 3,784 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  Something cool (a story) from Straighterline rebel100 2 1,039 03-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline reviews gingerbeefE 9 2,532 10-19-2015, 04:23 AM
Last Post: gingerbeefE
  Introducing StraighterLine Partner College Scholarships Saharapost 3 1,229 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Saharapost
  As APUS Joins Straighterline as a" partner college".... Saharapost 4 1,228 02-11-2014, 06:08 PM
  Straighterline- Next course offerings Saharapost 8 1,108 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM
  Azusa Pacific Online University Partners with StraighterLine to Offer Learners Online Saharapost 0 1,001 10-08-2013, 04:27 AM
  Straighterline Books robe4658 0 650 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Last Post: robe4658