Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline slightly frustrating..
I went for it and dove into Straighterline. It is actually a supremely good format for learning. However, I have some caveats:

I'm taking five classes on it, one of them is English Composition II. This class has EIGHT essays that need to be written, EIGHT!
They are from 500- 1000 words. I would much much rather, write two or three papers ranging from 1000-2000 words. These are all essays that require sources and strict adherence to MLA(which should be this way of course).

When I took English 1 in community college, we had about three major essays to do, along with an in class written assignment. I will try to finish the SL course, but I do not recommend the English Composition II course, as it would be much easier to do this at your local college or perhaps through a CLEP.

Second, and this one is infuriating, it keeps logging me out! Frustrated by the amount of essays, after completing the first essay assignment , I went on to the Intro to religions course. Here's what happens during a class:

You enter a course, go to the topic and go through the material which takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more. By the time you are done with that topic, you can't just click on next topic, you have to log back into the Straighterline service.

I spent all day studying today and logged in like twenty times... Makes you feel more like a customer than a student. However, login extension should be in easy fix.

In conclusion,
Straighterline is an amazing service for classes. I like how it is structured and that it is self-paced. However, it logs you out too fast and English Composition II is more difficult than most college classes of equivalency in terms of the amount of content and work you have to put in.
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
Here's a hacker tip on getting logged out all the time:
If you're using Google Chrome download the extension "Staying Alive" https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...fhfcgleinm

Create a new rule and set the options:

Trigger Url
example: https://moodle.straighterline.com/course...php?id=279
(Requesting this url from browser will start the background request loop.)

Request Interval (in minutes)
(I did 20 minutes.)
TESUAbroad Wrote:I went for it and dove into Straighterline. It is actually a supremely good format for learning. However, I have some caveats:

I'm taking five classes on it, one of them is English Composition II. This class has EIGHT essays that need to be written, EIGHT!
They are from 500- 1000 words. I would much much rather, write two or three papers ranging from 1000-2000 words. These are all essays that require sources and strict adherence to MLA(which should be this way of course).

When I took English 1 in community college, we had about three major essays to do, along with an in class written assignment. I will try to finish the SL course, but I do not recommend the English Composition II course, as it would be much easier to do this at your local college or perhaps through a CLEP.

English Composition II is more difficult than most college classes of equivalency in terms of the amount of content and work you have to put in.

I am glad to get your opinion on this. I agree that it's too much work, so I opted for the TECEP exam. It was a good option for me, and I needed the credits for residency. I would recommend it if you only need English Comp II, otherwise I always tell people to take the CLEP.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESUAbroad Wrote:When I took English 1 in community college, we had about three major essays to do, along with an in class written assignment. I will try to finish the SL course, but I do not recommend the English Composition II course, as it would be much easier to do this at your local college or perhaps through a CLEP.

While I don't disagree this made me chuckle a bit since SL is oft maligned for being the "easy a" compared to the alternatives, which I also agree with. That said, in this case, it's probably one of the more difficult approaches, or at least time consuming. The CLEP is mind-numbingly easy and I spent way too much time putting it off, concerned about the different citation formats. I managed a 66 on the CLEP, with plenty of time to spare -- I think those that feel they don't have enough time either aren't very fast/accurate typists, or they spent too long trying to write 5x5's when 3x5's will suffice. I finished both essays in roughly half the time allowed.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
This class is definitely easier via CLEP/TECEP, however I've suggested it for a couple of people where the school didn't accept CLEP or TECEP but did have a partnership with SL. In this case, they MUCH preferred it to taking a class. Simply not having to sit in lectures or do discussion posts were enough to make up the difference.

All things being equal, i'd suggest the CLEP or TECEP though.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
What's the name of the CLEP? Is it English Literature, or A&I Literature?
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Toastmaster Wrote:What's the name of the CLEP? Is it English Literature, or A&I Literature?

College composition

Done!
Thank you!!!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Toastmaster Wrote:Thank you!!!

Np. Analyzing and interpreting is probably the easiest 6cr you can earn. If youre going to a testing center, it may be worth taking it cold. Double check equivilencies of the composition clep. Im not sure if it still counts for 6cr or if its just 3 now. If youre going to excelsor take special notice they wont take the comp clep for written english

Done!
Although StraighterLine’s English Composition II seemed intimidating at first glance, I actually found it to be easy.

My approach was to complete all the quizzes first, which weren’t hard. After I completed the quizzes I worked on my essays. The essays can be completed in any order, so I read through the requirements for each of the 7 essays and completed them in the order I wanted to.

When writing my essays, I always started out by writing my introduction paragraph with thesis, and then the conclusion. I also made sure I met the minimum number of sources requirement and cited my sources too. Afterwards, I worked on my three paragraphs until the minimum word count was met. I was able to complete most essays with previous knowledge, but I revised and used sources in the end to meet the minimum requirement.

I would recommend CLEP if you can do it or TECEP, but if you’re on a time crunch and need the credits ASAP without having to go to a testing center, StraighterLine is not a bad alternative.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISO Straighterline Books cookderosa 4 1,303 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline spammer / policy change needed dmjacobsen 10 2,094 10-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Straighterline negative reivews? TESUAbroad 11 2,246 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Last Post: jlearn25
  Something cool (a story) from Straighterline rebel100 2 1,050 03-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline reviews gingerbeefE 9 2,563 10-19-2015, 04:23 AM
Last Post: gingerbeefE
  Introducing StraighterLine Partner College Scholarships Saharapost 3 1,244 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Saharapost
  As APUS Joins Straighterline as a" partner college".... Saharapost 4 1,236 02-11-2014, 06:08 PM
  Straighterline- Next course offerings Saharapost 8 1,155 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM
  Azusa Pacific Online University Partners with StraighterLine to Offer Learners Online Saharapost 0 1,018 10-08-2013, 04:27 AM
  Straighterline Books robe4658 0 661 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Last Post: robe4658