Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Study.com Essays and Assignments
I only used Google and searched for .gov and .edu sources. I don't think I used too many peer-reviewed sources. I don't think I was ever docked points for the quality of my sources. (Just once because I didn't have enough more recent ones - and my topic was a modern topic, not history so it made sense.)
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • Pikachu
I got through three essays for SDC this month, all for psychology.  They each took me about 6-7 hours.  First I looked up some topics with a general Google search using one or two of the key phrases from the essay prompt.  I'd inevitably find an article or two from someplace like Harvard or an .edu or .gov site.  You only need to quote three sources, so it isn't too hard.  Using Wikipedia was super helpful too. As you read through, find a quote you like and then copy the quote from the references at the end of the article.  For formatting, follow the Purdue OWL guidlines and you'll be golden.  I always got a full 10 points for formatting by just following Purdue.
I found SDC's grading to be very easy/fair, but as has been mentioned already, you don't need a high score to pass (maybe a 50, depending on your final test grade).  Let that knowledge put your mind at ease and try to have fun with it! On one paper I strayed from the strict essay prompt to make the topic more interesting for myself, and got a decent score.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ryanaryn's post:
  • Pikachu
(02-11-2019, 09:53 AM)natshar Wrote: Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know it's nothing to stress about, but getting started on assignments is nothing new it's something I've struggled with since I was a kid. And while I know I could find ways to get all UL credit I need without writing essays (through Davar and Coopersmith) I realized this would be good practice for the capstone course. If I didn't do these papers, I would so lost when I take the capstone.

Also, just wondering how long does it take to write a paper or do a project for study.com from start to finish for you?

Well, it took me a week an 1/2 to do research on my 1st one, and I only started writing it after I knew what I was talking about. As a result, the quality was actually okay and I was under the wordcount minimum (something which SHOCKED me because I tend to be wordy and superfluous in my writing...), so I had to add more content, which took another day, plus editing/revising. Made an 83 on it.

On my 2nd paper, I blasted through it (cuz I was sick of it taking forever  Tongue Wink ), researching as I wrote. Proved pretty effective time-wise, but was 500 words over Word Count (guess I threw my conciseness out the window in my rush), so it took all day yesterday to get it down to 1991 as opposed to the 2500 I had previously.

All in all took me 3 and 1/2 weeks (maybe a tad less).

(02-12-2019, 10:43 AM)runningtherace2 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 09:53 AM)natshar Wrote: Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know it's nothing to stress about, but getting started on assignments is nothing new it's something I've struggled with since I was a kid. And while I know I could find ways to get all UL credit I need without writing essays (through Davar and Coopersmith) I realized this would be good practice for the capstone course. If I didn't do these papers, I would so lost when I take the capstone.

Also, just wondering how long does it take to write a paper or do a project for study.com from start to finish for you?

Well, it took me a week an 1/2 to do research on my 1st one, and I only started writing it after I knew what I was talking about. As a result, the quality was actually okay and I was under the wordcount minimum (something which SHOCKED me because I tend to be wordy and superfluous in my writing...), so I had to add more content, which took another day, plus editing/revising. Made an 83 on it.

On my 2nd paper, I blasted through it (cuz I was sick of it taking forever  Tongue Wink ), researching as I wrote. Took 3 days. Proved pretty effective time-wise, but was 500 words over Word Count (guess I threw my conciseness out the window in my rush), so it took all day yesterday to get it down to 1991 as opposed to the 2500 I had previously.

All in all took me 2 and 1/2 weeks (maybe a tad less).
Side-note: I was working a job 4 days straight through my 1st paper, so it did slow me down a good bit.
But I'm sure it'd be much quicker for people with more time on their hands and more focus Smile
I used to have a hard time with essays and papers myself. It's not that the writing process is really that hard, it's that I stressed so much over writing that I ended up procrastinating a lot to avoid the stress. Over the summer I found a book I wish I had acquired years ago: "Paper Hacking 101" by Deleuzienne. It's only $10 on Amazon, and it's worth more than every penny. The writing tips in that book have greatly accelerated my research and writing skills such that I can easily write 3-4 papers per week now. I bet I could've finished my WGU BS and MS degrees in a single term each had I read that book before taking those programs.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 3 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • jch, MNomadic, Pikachu
In my experience, SDC is pretty lenient on their grading regarding the accuracy of APA formatting. (TESU's mentors for the capstone, on the other hand, are not, and I'm actually thankful for that, as it helped me become a better writer.)

For sources, Google Scholar is a great starting point. If you find a peer-reviewed article that's relevant to your topic, there are nearly always other good articles cited by the first article, and you can look up those and see at least the abstracts on a site like Medline or PubMed (depending on topic). If you have access to any good library, they generally have at least some databases of scholarly references where you can pul articles from.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
(10-25-2021, 12:17 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: I used to have a hard time with essays and papers myself. It's not that the writing process is really that hard, it's that I stressed so much over writing that I ended up procrastinating a lot to avoid the stress. Over the summer I found a book I wish I had acquired years ago: "Paper Hacking 101" by Deleuzienne. It's only $10 on Amazon, and it's worth more than every penny. The writing tips in that book have greatly accelerated my research and writing skills such that I can easily write 3-4 papers per week now. I bet I could've finished my WGU BS and MS degrees in a single term each had I read that book before taking those programs.

I feel the same. Thanks for the book tip! I'll check it out!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thanks for recommending this book, I was looking for something like this. However, whenever I have to write something, I am helped by an editor who I have found on a site essay with more than one editor. I like the fact that after reading my essay, he comes up with some tips I should take into consideration, and also he tells me where I should work more so that next time I can write the essay better. I am getting better at writing, but I still have to work on it.
Hey, I have read the book and it is amazing! I regret that I didn't find it before, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. However, I will still use the site essay with more than one editor, as it will take time till I will learn all the tips and practice them. I think I am a step forward in writing an essay persuasively and with no mistakes from the first try. Thanks again for sharing the book!
[-] The following 1 user Likes lilybaileyahc's post:
  • jamshid666

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,324 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,481 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,686 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 602 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM