Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Experience
I finished Bus. 109: Intro. to Computing last night a little after 9pm. I immediately applied for ACE credit, and then proceeded to worry about whether or not it would be accepted all day at work today.

I did find the course to be informative, and I thought that it aligned well with the proctored final. My big complaint was with the proctored final itself. It was nerve-wracking. I was positive that the picture of my ID was too blurry to be accepted. I probably tried ten or fifteen times. Then I was unsure about whether the room scan was sufficient. I did my best to clear the testing area of anything except my desk and chair, but I had a nagging feeling that I might not have showed enough of my floor, or worrying whether I got enough footage under my desk. None of this is SDC's fault, but it is a concern I had with asynchronous proctoring. It was my first time with the process, so I had some added anxiety. I'm not sure what would have made that process easier on me. Without having someone there to say, "Yes, that's fine." I don't think it's possible to quiet someone's concerns with that situation. One thing that might make the process easier would be the possibility of uploading a higher quality picture of your ID when you set up your account. At least that would be one less thing to worry about. Just a thought.

The exam was fine and thorough. My only complaint with it was that there was no option to flag questions and/or return to unanswered questions when you were finishing your exam. That left me to flip through 20 pages of test questions when I was done to get back to the five or so I had skipped on my first run through. That's a pretty easy fix. Even having a review page at the end that has, "Question 1: Unanswered/Answered, etc." would fix that. Having an interactive drop down side menu would help as well, so you could jump to a specific question.

My credit came in and was approved by 2pm this afternoon. I scored an overall 86% in the course. A sub-24 hour turnaround is way better than I was expecting, so I am happily surprised about that.

Overall, I'm pleased in my experience with LL courses so far. I'm now moving on to Com. 120. I think I should be able to finish that by tomorrow night. Wish me luck!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • capers
(07-31-2018, 12:39 AM)Tedium Wrote: I finished Bus. 109: Intro. to Computing last night a little after 9pm. I immediately applied for ACE credit, and then proceeded to worry about whether or not it would be accepted all day at work today.

I did find the course to be informative, and I thought that it aligned well with the proctored final. My big complaint was with the proctored final itself. It was nerve-wracking. I was positive that the picture of my ID was too blurry to be accepted. I probably tried ten or fifteen times. Then I was unsure about whether the room scan was sufficient. I did my best to clear the testing area of anything except my desk and chair, but I had a nagging feeling that I might not have showed enough of my floor, or worrying whether I got enough footage under my desk. None of this is SDC's fault, but it is a concern I had with asynchronous proctoring. It was my first time with the process, so I had some added anxiety. I'm not sure what would have made that process easier on me. Without having someone there to say, "Yes, that's fine." I don't think it's possible to quiet someone's concerns with that situation. One thing that might make the process easier would be the possibility of uploading a higher quality picture of your ID when you set up your account. At least that would be one less thing to worry about. Just a thought.

The exam was fine and thorough. My only complaint with it was that there was no option to flag questions and/or return to unanswered questions when you were finishing your exam. That left me to flip through 20 pages of test questions when I was done to get back to the five or so I had skipped on my first run through. That's a pretty easy fix. Even having a review page at the end that has, "Question 1: Unanswered/Answered, etc." would fix that. Having an interactive drop down side menu would help as well, so you could jump to a specific question.

My credit came in and was approved by 2pm this afternoon. I scored an overall 86% in the course. A sub-24 hour turnaround is way better than I was expecting, so I am happily surprised about that.

Overall, I'm pleased in my experience with LL courses so far. I'm now moving on to Com. 120. I think I should be able to finish that by tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

That is the fastest turnaround I've heard of so far. In my experience, the typical review and approval time is closer to 3-5 working days. Congrats!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Tedium
I just took the exam for Communications 120 and I don't see the course listed in the ACE registry and I'm freaking out. Did I miss something? Why would they list it as for credit if it's not on the list???

Oh, God. It's an NCCRS course. Now I have to figure out how to get Study.com to send the transcript. I made a dumb assumption they were all ACE accredited courses.

The direct transcript is only available for TESU and EC students? What the hell?!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
(07-31-2018, 03:23 AM)Tedium Wrote: I just took the exam for Communications 120 and I don't see the course listed in the ACE registry and I'm freaking out. Did I miss something? Why would they list it as for credit if it's not on the list???

Oh, God. It's an NCCRS course. Now I have to figure out how to get Study.com to send the transcript. I made a dumb assumption they were all ACE accredited courses.

The direct transcript is only available for TESU and EC students? What the hell?!

This link has info on transferring credit to another institution. On a quick read-through it sounds like they partnered with Excelsior to milk you for a $40 fee to get the course on an official Excelsior transcript - and then THAT transcript gets sent to the destination of your choice. (Ostensibly because an Excelsior transcript looks more legit? Weird.)https://educationportal.freshdesk.com/su...ice-nccrs-
So the short answer is, you can still do it. It's just gonna cost you another $40. 

In the future, double-check ACE before committing to a course. Just like doing carpentry work. Measure twice to cut once.
For some reason I had the false assumption that if it was on the COSC transfer list it was ACE. I have no idea where I got that notion.

I'm really not paying $40, because that's flawed logic on their part. Institutions want to handle credit themselves, not take some other school's word for it. If they wanted to charge to send out a transcript, fine. But this just isn't the way schools handle sources of credit. How much money would all of us on this forum have collectively saved if that's the way credit transfers worked? We would never have to pay $30 a pop for DSST, save $15 from ACE, and $20 from CLEP. Just bank all your credits and only ever have to pay one fee for the rest of your life!

Yeah right. That's so naive and thick-headed of them. I was all ready to start singing their praises after my painless first class experience, but this has definitely changed my mind. I'm definitely taking UExcel and DSST to finish off my degree. I was even willing to invest a little more time in their UL offerings and let them grade my papers, but not after this. Holding my credit hostage for $52? You, sir or madam, can go f*** yourself.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
(07-31-2018, 01:08 PM)Tedium Wrote: For some reason I had the false assumption that if it was on the COSC transfer list it was ACE. I have no idea where I got that notion.

I'm really not paying $40, because that's flawed logic on their part. Institutions want to handle credit themselves, not take some other school's word for it. If they wanted to charge to send out a transcript, fine. But this just isn't the way schools handle sources of credit. How much money would all of us on this forum have collectively saved if that's the way credit transfers worked? We would never have to pay $30 a pop for DSST, save $15 from ACE, and $20 from CLEP. Just bank all your credits and only ever have to pay one fee for the rest of your life!

Yeah right. That's so naive and thick-headed of them. I was all ready to start singing their praises after my painless first class experience, but this has definitely changed my mind. I'm definitely taking UExcel and DSST to finish off my degree. I was even willing to invest a little more time in their UL offerings and let them grade my papers, but not after this. Holding my credit hostage for $52? You, sir or madam, can go f*** yourself.

I would ask them to send the transcript directly to COSC for you, that's what NCCRS course providers are supposed to do - the whole going through EC is not supposed to be how it's done (and TESU for one will not accept an EC transcript for a STudy.com course, and I know for certain another school that I talked to won't either - directly from NCCRS course providers or nothing).

And, it's a bummer that Study.com went through both processes (ACE and NCCRS) instead of sticking with one, but they may have had a reason that we don't know.  But there are 19 courses that are NCCRS-only, I would avoid those until they get the transcript issue worked out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
OP - Just wondering... How many courses do you need, or how many courses do you have left for your degree at COSC? I think Study.com and COSC (the final of the Big 3) are working towards an easier way of transfer of credits. If not, this thread will be an injection or a start in the process into that option.

Study.com - Please see if there is an option to accommodate the Big 3 and WGU transfers in the future. Those are the major 4 institutions we recommend over and over again to students and members of this board. Thank you very much!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-31-2018, 11:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 01:08 PM)Tedium Wrote: For some reason I had the false assumption that if it was on the COSC transfer list it was ACE. I have no idea where I got that notion.

I would ask them to send the transcript directly to COSC for you, that's what NCCRS course providers are supposed to do - the whole going through EC is not supposed to be how it's done (and TESU for one will not accept an EC transcript for a STudy.com course, and I know for certain another school that I talked to won't either - directly from NCCRS course providers or nothing).

And, it's a bummer that Study.com went through both processes (ACE and NCCRS) instead of sticking with one, but they may have had a reason that we don't know.  But there are 19 courses that are NCCRS-only, I would avoid those until they get the transcript issue worked out.

From what I've seen of their responses here after doing some searching, the reason they did that is to expand the number of accepting college choices students had when transferring credits. As soon I get confirmation that I passed the course, I'll e-mail them about sending the transcripts directly.

(07-31-2018, 11:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP - Just wondering... How many courses do you need, or how many courses do you have left for your degree at COSC?  I think Study.com and COSC (the final of the Big 3) are working towards an easier way of transfer of credits.  If not, this thread will be an injection or a start in the process into that option.  

Study.com - Please see if there is an option to accommodate the Big 3 and WGU transfers in the future.  Those are the major 4 institutions we recommend over and over again to students and members of this board.  Thank you very much!

I need 12 UL Business credits and the Capstone to graduate. 

I think I can do it with UEcel: Business Ethics, Labor Relations, Human Resource Management, and Organizational Behavior. I say "think" because I'm unsure of how they treat the Business Ethics test when I already have a lower level Ethics course credit. Study.com was just more convenient, schedule-wise. I didn't have to take any time off of work to go to a testing center. It's about the same in cost, though. 

I hope something does change, because it doesn't look good on them if they don't.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
You can also check into filling some UL business credits with Davar Academy. The whole system and interface is SUPER akward and clunky. But basically if you download the study guide and memorize it really well, everything on the tests is straight off the study guide. I took some for easy UL and am planning on taking more before submitting the transcript to COSC. davaracademy.com
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • acamp, Tedium
You may want to and should email or chat with COSC before taking these course recommendations below.
1) Take SL Business Ethics, if you took another ethics course elsewhere, it comes in as UL to COSC
2) Take SL Organizational Behavior as it should come in as UL to COSC as well

It shows on the SL COSC Equivalency page as UL, with a note indicating it's LL (but still comes in as UL)
SL Link: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
Reference: elbebopkid on 6/6/2018 - Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...valuations

In regards to Davar, they are a great testing option for NCCRS credits, it's just that there is no registry to store those credits.
I would take a few course from them, but all the required courses are actually already available from Study.com already.
If you take the Study.com ACE recommended UL courses in the "Transfer Tab" there are about 5 to chose from in Business!
Study.com Link: https://study.com/directory/school/Chart...ransferTab
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,322 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,478 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 601 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,241 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue