Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Principles of Finance (FIN 101)
Completed this course today, passed the final exam with an 85. This was another requirement (along with the computer/info systems requirement which I also completed through Study) that I was nervous about. As I mentioned in previous posts about other Study.com courses, Study.com has been a very good way for me to learn and complete material that I would be very stressed about trying to complete via a single exam (DSST/CLEP/TECEP/UExcel etc). This is a good thing Smile I find that I enjoy and retain the material better this way on certain topics.

The course and exam have a “big-picture” perspective and focus a lot on really understanding underlying concepts and principles rather than memorizing complex formulas. I liked this approach for what is, after all, intended to be an introductory/101 course. There are some calculation questions that are very straightforward, and many many conceptual questions. A basic calculator is allowed on the final. Be sure you understand the rationale and thought processes that go into financial decisions, and have a good awareness of the legal and tax environments businesses must operate within. A business law course and a financial accounting course would be very helpful to have prior to taking this course, although the lessons do a good job of explaining the material even if you haven’t taken those courses yet.

My only complaint is that this course was the first Study.com course I took that did not have flashcards. I studied the lessons, quizzes and practice exams, but would have liked flashcards to be available as well.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

Yikes! No flashcards?! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be starting this course course later on today. I hope I do as well as you. Congrats!
Quote: The course and exam have a “big-picture” perspective and focus a lot on really understanding underlying concepts and principles rather than memorizing complex formulas

So you're saying there's no need to memorize any of the different financial formulas for the final? The quizzes and some of the chapter tests ask for calculations based on those complex formulas without giving the formula. Are you saying the final would provide the formula if they asked for a calculation, say, of the future value of an annuity?
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:So you're saying there's no need to memorize any of the different financial formulas for the final? The quizzes and some of the chapter tests ask for calculations based on those complex formulas without giving the formula. Are you saying the final would provide the formula if they asked for a calculation, say, of the future value of an annuity?

I took this final months ago and I had a bunch of questions that asked me what was the correct formula for such and such and also calculate to FV or this. So I think its random on what you get on your final. I just took the Business 308 Final and it asked a lot of geographic type questions so who knows.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:I took this final months ago and I had a bunch of questions that asked me what was the correct formula for such and such and also calculate to FV or this. So I think its random on what you get on your final. I just took the Business 308 Final and it asked a lot of geographic type questions so who knows.

Thanks for the feedback; gonna get em memorized then to be safe!
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
I took this course and I didn't completely memorize them and I did fine. I think I did have a couple formula questions but I did well enough on the rest of the test that it didn't matter. I'm sure it's better to memorize them though!
gremlinbrawler Wrote:I took this course and I didn't completely memorize them and I did fine. I think I did have a couple formula questions but I did well enough on the rest of the test that it didn't matter. I'm sure it's better to memorize them though!

This was my experience as well, of course the exam questions may vary.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,361 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,490 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,742 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 606 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,814 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue