Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com (SDC) WARNING - new credit/exam policy change
(06-10-2019, 11:21 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: Then it's admitting someone is only smart enough to take X number of proctored exams each month otherwise it becomes suspicious. This rationale makes no sense. 

an example, I can go take 10 CLEP exams in two weeks, and there wouldn't be an issue of possible suspicious activity, so why would there be an issue from another provider like SDC?

Rational or not, these are the changes that SDC concluded were necessary to stay on their partner colleges' good sides. Those colleges have a more uneven say in the matter than you or I do. Your option now is to figure out what your path is now that you're aware of the policy, or get so frustrated that you give up.

You sound like a determined person, so my guess is giving up is not an option you're considering. So take some time to let this frustrating situation pass, and start tackling your next moves.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 7 users Like jsd's post:
  • hsfamfun, Muldoon, Nixi, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy, studiousimp, suzycupcake, TwinMom
(06-10-2019, 11:21 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 11:03 PM)Merlin Wrote: Personally, I'd rather see SDC implement a 5 exam per month policy if the alternative is that colleges stop accepting their credits. This actually happened to Shmoop last year because someone completed a ton of courses in a short period of time and submitted them to TESU. TESU flagged this as suspicious activity and then stopped accepting all credits from Shmoop. They still don't accept any Shmoop credits and likely never will.

If I understand the Shmoop situation correctly, someone took non-proctored exams at Shmoop and transferred them to TESU. This caused the issue. 

SDC - all exams are proctored. If I am taking the exams while being proctored, why does it make a difference how many I can take each day/week/month?

Then it's admitting someone is only smart enough to take X number of proctored exams each month otherwise it becomes suspicious. This rationale makes no sense. 

an example, I can go take 10 CLEP exams in two weeks, and there wouldn't be an issue of possible suspicious activity, so why would there be an issue from another provider like SDC?

It has nothing to do with proctoring. Shmoop added proctoring and TESU still refused to accept their credits. It's about too many courses appearing on a transcript in a short period of time. From the perspective of accreditation, this calls into question the academic integrity of the school and how rigorous their academic programs are.

You don't know that completing 10 CLEP exams in 2 weeks isn't considered questionable behavior. Others have done it, but we don't know how intense the level of scrutiny is on these accelerated degree programs.

My suspicion is that the schools are just trying to be cautious since alternative education like ACE and CLEP is nontraditional and if it looks too easy to get, that could cause problems if some boundaries aren't put in place.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • natshar, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
I think any more than 5 exams a month is a lot of work and dedication, so good job for that. Plus if any of them are UL those require a lot of work the assignments to get all those done in the month too. I totally understand why this change was enacted. Plus you are earning 60 credits in 4 months and that is still pretty fast considering most people full-time would earn that in 2 years and you are doing it at 90% of the cost. It's not that big of deal if you look at the big picture and realize how much quicker you are getting your degree even with these limits in place.

While you are waiting make sure to do the assignments. Don't be like me, I've got like ten study.com courses done with quizzes and final exams I just haven't done the assignments yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • suzycupcake
I get it- you can use Studycom's lower cost subscription to do the work, and then when you're done, upgrading your account to go back and tick off the exams. I think that for sure is the most cost effective way, but if the cap is 5, it's 5. I'm guessing it's because SCD doesn't want 2 exams for the first $299 and 18 @ $70. This allows them to pace you at 4 months instead of 1. It's possibly a money thing.
(06-10-2019, 11:21 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: If I understand the Shmoop situation correctly, someone took non-proctored exams at Shmoop and transferred them to TESU. This caused the issue.

Then Shmoop required proctoring and TESU still didn't recognize the courses.

Everyone seems worried about overachievers.  The greater truth that is told by someone able to succeed at a year of university in a month or two is how undemanding undergraduate degrees are.  Back in the days of butts in seats school, I consumed copious amounts of beer, prepared every paper the night before, missed most of my classes, barely studied and got my degree with only an extra 6 week summer session.  If one is literate, undergrad school is brain-dead simple.  My grades wouldn't have got me into medical school but I sure could tick a box.
(06-11-2019, 10:32 AM)Old Guy Wrote: Back in the days of butts in seats school, I consumed copious amounts of beer, prepared every paper the night before, missed most of my classes, barely studied and got my degree with only an extra 6 week summer session. 

Name checks out :-)
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • jsd
(06-10-2019, 11:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...
You don't know that completing 10 CLEP exams in 2 weeks isn't considered questionable behavior. Others have done it, but we don't know how intense the level of scrutiny is on these accelerated degree programs.

CollegeBoard is a very prominent provider (it seems like most schools take at least a few CLEP exams), so TESU (or others) aren't likely to be concerned even if some people were to speed through a lot of exams.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Nixi
(06-11-2019, 01:05 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 11:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...

CollegeBoard is a very prominent provider (it seems like most schools take at least a few CLEP exams), so TESU (or others) aren't likely to be concerned even if some people were to speed through a lot of exams.

Agreed. They have an established reputation and are well known for the scrutiny under which they administer their exams. However, the point is that we don't know how an accreditor or college looks at degrees where students manage to complete a ton of credits in a very short period of time. Even if some of those credits are earned from CLEP, I have to imagine that too many credits in too short of time is looked at with some level of skepticism.

Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me since 5-6 courses in a month has been my natural limit anyway. But I also appreciate being able to earn an accelerated degree, so I'd rather see limits put in place for how/where/how many credits can be earned in a given time period to make sure that colleges continue to allow alt. ed. credits to be used in degrees.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Community college courses are easy, and I couldn't imagine completing 20 in one month. I have to work 40 hours per week.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-11-2019, 04:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: Community college courses are easy, and I couldn't imagine completing 20 in one month. I have to work 40 hours per week.

Yeah. I don't think that many users on this forum complete more that 5 sdc courses in one month anyways. From what I've seen from this fourm, it doesn't seem like this change will affect too many people. 20 courses is a lot in one month and remember OP didn't complete all the courses in one month they started them earlier. To actually complete from scratch 20 sdc courses in one month has got to be difficult.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 364 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,372 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,601 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,533 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 337 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly