Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Writing assignment grades
Hi everyone. I am curious to know how much you managed to score on your study.com papers. And those of you who are currently pursuing the Capstone program, or have completed it, how does study.com’s grading compare with what actually happens at TESU? I feel this would help me and others like me to know how good our writing skills need to be before we take up the Capstone.
My study.com writing assignment grades are as follows:

History & Systems of Psychology: 90/100
Psychology of personality: 92/100
I/O Psychology: 88/100
Org Theory: 86/100.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(12-20-2018, 05:18 PM)Supermind Wrote: Hi everyone. I am curious to know how much you managed to score on your study.com papers. And those of you who are currently pursuing the Capstone program, or have completed it, how does study.com’s grading compare with what actually happens at TESU? I feel this would help me and others like me to know how good our writing skills need to be before we take up the Capstone.
My study.com writing assignment grades are as follows:

History & Systems of Psychology: 90/100
Psychology of personality: 92/100
I/O Psychology: 88/100
Org Theory: 86/100.

I typically received marks in the upper 90s from SL and Study.com and I'm getting similar marks on the Capstone (typically 96-98 per paper). The capstone papers are graded much more thoroughly though. They mark off even the most minor things.

Improving your writing skills before starting the Capstone is definitely a good idea. But if you're getting upper 80s to upper 90s now, you should probably be fine.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thank you Merlin. I will work on improving my writing.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I've been telling people who ask, that their SL/Study.com or whatever provider they are currently using, any written assignments that they currently have done, the Capstone assignments are at least 1.5 to 2x as "hefty" of a job. So, don't slack, just continue the way you're doing things but make sure to "double check" your work for mistakes. As long as you have the "three", APA, assignments requested requirements, sources completed, you've got the "rubric" completed...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-20-2018, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I've been telling people who ask, that their SL/Study.com or whatever provider they are currently using, any written assignments that they currently have done, the Capstone assignments are at least 1.5 to 2x as "hefty" of a job.  So, don't slack, just continue the way you're doing things but make sure to "double check" your work for mistakes.  As long as you have the "three", APA, assignments requested requirements, sources completed, you've got the "rubric" completed...

Yeah, pretty much any successful college graduate will tell you that the best way to deal with any writing assignment is to write exactly to the rubric... no more, no less. That includes making sure you have a good handle on the mechanical issues (punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc.). The best way to deal with the latter part is to use spell check in combination with grammar checking, plus a human proofreader if you can manage it.

As for sources, using academically-focused (peer-reviewed) sources is usually required in a lot of college writing, but at least for the TESU business capstone that doesn't seem to be a requirement. I don't know if it is the same for the other capstones or not. For the BSBA, they don't let you use Wikipedia or personal blogs as sources of course, but pretty much any business-related online publication or news site appears to be fair game. They appear to be more concerned with reference page and citation formatting than the sources themselves.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
you dont have to turn them all in if your score is high enough, is the first thing you need to know

they grade them semi-harshly and are really pedantic about it, is the second thing. I once turned in a paper on HW Bush but accidentally submitted it under a section for a paper on LBJ, and never once in her grading did the woman who graded it mention "Maybe this was submitted to the wrong area", she just kept marking sections with "this doesn't related to LBJ" over and over, as if I thought my LBJ paper looked good being all about HW Bush and never once mentioning LBJ.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Ideas
(12-20-2018, 07:25 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: you dont have to turn them all in if your score is high enough, is the first thing you need to know

they grade them semi-harshly and are really pedantic about it, is the second thing. I once turned in a paper on HW Bush but accidentally submitted it under a section for a paper on LBJ, and never once in her grading did the woman who graded it mention "Maybe this was submitted to the wrong area", she just kept marking sections with "this doesn't related to LBJ" over and over, as if I thought my LBJ paper looked good being all about HW Bush and never once mentioning LBJ.

Yeah, the Study.com (and SL) graders are pedantic, but that is probably a good thing since the mentors will probably be more pedantic when grading the capstone papers... at least mine has been so far.

Also, I thought that SDC doesn't allow you to avoid turning in a paper anymore? Even with high scores on the final and quizzes, I was told I still had to submit a paper, even if it was just the absolute basics required to meet the rubric. I was led to believe that they return anything that is below that threshold without grading. Not that I ended up going down that path, but I wanted to know in case I ran out of time and needed to cut corners as my capstone start date loomed.

Either way, even if you can skip a paper, I don't recommend it. IMO, you should try to maximize every writing opportunity since you're going to want to make sure you've got that skill mastered before capstone time comes around.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(12-20-2018, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I've been telling people who ask, that their SL/Study.com or whatever provider they are currently using, any written assignments that they currently have done, the Capstone assignments are at least 1.5 to 2x as "hefty" of a job.  So, don't slack, just continue the way you're doing things but make sure to "double check" your work for mistakes.  As long as you have the "three", APA, assignments requested requirements, sources completed, you've got the "rubric" completed...

I think a capstone is 5-10 times as long as a typical paper? Maybe you mean difficulty.

I passed Business 113 today with only turning in 2 out of 3 assignments. I've already passed my Capstone though. If you're just starting out, I agree you should write as much as possible but at this point I'm knocking out 12 page papers in an afternoon and I don't see any reason to write a business memo if I don't have to. The 30 min I spend on that I could spend on my next course, or sleeping. Just my .02
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Ideas
(12-20-2018, 09:30 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I passed Business 113 today with only turning in 2 out of 3 assignments. I've already passed my Capstone though. If you're just starting out, I agree you should write as much as possible but at this point I'm knocking out 12 page papers in an afternoon and I don't see any reason to write a business memo if I don't have to. The 30 min I spend on that I could spend on my next course, or sleeping. Just my .02

Hehe, for you sure. I'm speaking more in generalities for folks like Supermind or others who may be considering that option.

I've gotten pretty fast at papers now too and I would skip ones I don't need if given the chance. But for folks who are prepping for the capstone, focusing on improving their writing and getting used to writing quickly is pretty important... at least until they can also bang out 10+ page papers in a few hours and be coherent and follow proper mechanical and grammar rules. Smile

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,367 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,600 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,505 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 732 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM