Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com experienced people
(10-30-2019, 12:52 PM)jakepg Wrote: Thanks for all the info.

I noticed on TESU's website that if you dont apply for graduation within 12 months, you have to pay additional residency waiver fees.

If I feel like it will take me longer than 12 months, does that mean I should wait to apply to the school? Should I take courses at SDC first,  and then apply to TESU?

BTW, I'm going for business degree and I can see the transfer equivalencies on SDC.

Where do you see this on their website? I think this is only the case for COSC/EC (not sure if its both of them, as I'm not familiar with those schools, but I'm pretty sure one of them works this way). Definitely hasn't been the case for TESU - you pay the residency waiver based on how many credits you take, not how long you've been enrolled.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(10-30-2019, 12:59 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

I noticed on TESU's website that if you dont apply for graduation within 12 months, you have to pay additional residency waiver fees.

If I feel like it will take me longer than 12 months, does that mean I should wait to apply to the school? Should I take courses at SDC first,  and then apply to TESU?

BTW, I'm going for business degree and I can see the transfer equivalencies on SDC.

Where do you see this on their website? I think this is only the case for COSC/EC (not sure if its both of them, as I'm not familiar with those schools, but I'm pretty sure one of them works this way). Definitely hasn't been the case for TESU - you pay the residency waiver based on how many credits you take, not how long you've been enrolled. 
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees#

right under "NOTE:"
You don't pay the RW fee until you're ready to graduate. So for most people, it's not an issue.

For some people, this may be an issue if they decide to get an AA first and then continue on with their BA. At that point, you pay the RW fee, and then you need to get your BA within a year or you pay again. I don't recommend TESU for an AA, but if you really want/need it on the way to a BA, I say to wait until you're further along with your credits, at maybe 100+ before applying for the AA graduation so you're sure to get the BA within the timeframe needed to not pay twice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-30-2019, 01:23 PM)jakepg Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 12:59 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees#

right under "NOTE:"

As dfrecore noted, that is only if you don't graduate for 12 months AFTER you pay the fee, which you don't have to do until you are ready to graduate.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Do you recommend I apply right away, and then start courses at SDC? Or should I start at SDC, complete the courses I need, and then apply and transfer them over?
I would do the SDC courses first, personally. As long as you're sure you know what you need
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(10-28-2019, 07:13 PM)shadowgem Wrote: The professionalism of COSC, the customer service, and the consistency also seems to be higher than I am currently experiencing from TESU. And 8 week terms are excellent if you would like to work at a faster pace. It's unfortunate they do not offer the same degree selection that TESU does.

You can no longer waive the cornerstone course at TESU unless you are completing a second degree, so I think COSC is going to come in cheaper by a bit with any degree path where you can test out of everything but the Cornerstone/Capstone Courses. Assuming you transfer in everything but the Cornerstone and Capstone courses, I think TESU will be the most expensive option for earning a first BA/BS degree for non-active military students. Even with the new Cornerstone/Information Literacy/Capstone Residency Requirement at Excelsior, it looks like Excelsior will still be less than TESU possibly. COSC or Excelsior may be more if you are enrolled for more than 1 term though. I was actually trying to compare current costs/time the other day, but not sure if I'm overlooking any fees. I'm not including the costs associated with any alternative credits since that can vary greatly depending on which sources of transfer credit you utilize.

COSC 
  • $50 application (can be waived with a current student referral)
  • $2514 tuition ($419 per credit hour for 6 credits)
  • $295 student service fee (per enrolled semester)
  • $75 technology fee (per enrolled semester)
  • $225 graduation fee
  • $3159 (SUBTOTAL before discounts)
  • $-315.90 (10% Partner Affiliation Discount (employer/sdc/sl/ect)
  • $2843.10 (TOTAL)
  • 16 weeks to 24 weeks max time to complete Cornerstone/Capstone (varies depending on degree)
Excelsior (Course Option 1 for partner affiliation and two trimesters)
  • $0 application (fee waived)
  • $6,120 tuition ($510 per credit hour for 12 credits)
  • $0 annual fee (using course based enrollment)
  • $0 enrollment fee (first year only)
  • $240 technology fees ($20 per credit hour)
  • $495 graduation fee
  • $6855 (SUBTOTAL)
  • -$1371 (20% off with Many Partner Affiliation Discounts)
  • $4749 (TOTAL)
Excelsior (Mutlisource Option 2 for partner affiliation)
  • $0 application (waived)
  • $3570 tuition ($510 per credit hour for 7 credits)
  • $0 annual fee ($495 if enrollment is more than 1 year)
  • $1095 (using multisource enrollment option)
  • $140 technology fees ($20 per credit hour)
  • $495 graduation fee
  • $5300 (SUBTOTAL/TOTAL)
TESU (non-military students)
  • $50 application
  • $2274 tuition ($379 per credit hour for 6 credits with SDC Parntership)
  • $2800 (residency waiver to allow earning less than 16 credits in residence)
  • $298 (graduation fee)
  • $5422 (TOTAL)
  • 12 weeks to 24 weeks max time to complete Information Literacy/Capstone

So cost wise it looks like if you transferred the max amount of courses prior to enrolling into WGU and could complete the remaining ~30 credits or so within 1 term, it would be fairly comparable to COSC and much less than TESU to complete.  While the course structure at WGU will probably be nothing like SDC, I would probably choose WGU over TESU. I think you may experience better advising and I like that you are assigned a mentor that will help you work at a pace that suits you. Also from what I understand you can graduate when you are done, as opposed to having to wait for whichever quarterly graduation cycle you fall into. I also like that their transfer policies are very clear and that your enrollment counselor will help you find alternative sources for missing credits before you are enrolled. But I would probably try to transfer in everything I could before enrolling just to make sure I would have a better chance of completing a degree in one term. Also if you really like the SDC format, you can use SDC to complete a lot of credits prior to enrolling with WGU.

How can current COSC students send application waiver code to the new applicants?
------------------

Hi. Can someone who has graduated from COSC send me a referral code for application fee waiver?
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,362 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,599 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,479 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 753 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 732 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM