Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership Update
(04-18-2022, 11:13 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats!  That's wonderful, you're going at break neck speed... it is at your own pace, so I would not try to rush it.  You're doing a great job, continue at a pace you're comfortable in.   Anyways, I just noticed your signature.  Are you planning the WGU (Texas Endorsed) MSML and then the MBA to end your educational journey?

Thanks ! Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'WGU (Texas Endorsed)' ? I was planning on going to WGU and completing the MSML because based on my research I think I could manage that under six months, and I am really looking forward to getting a Masters degree ASAP.

I am looking into UT Perman Basin for an MBA after for a a few reasons, one being the UT brand being strong in Texas where I live and two that it is AACSB accredited unlike WGU's. Also it would be cost effective for me. I would also like to leave the teaching door open for me in the future hence why I am leaning towards this AACSB degree as from what I understand it is preferred for teachers.

(04-15-2022, 07:56 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Sophia changed their Psychology course. 

UMPI and TESU won't accept it now. Wonder if TAMUC will.

Looks like you are completing one class a week which is blazing fast compared to traditional school.

Maybe we should think about adding the TAMUC criminal justice degree plan if we can map it out. There aren't many options for that degree.

Hey there! I can confirm that TAMUC has accepted Psychology from Sophia as a credit from me.

(04-18-2022, 05:23 AM)Tedium Wrote: You are making great time! Seven courses in three weeks is an AWESOME accomplishment!

-Since the major courses are going to be the exact same for everyone, can you list out the work required for each TAMUC class? I think you only had two done during the last update.

-Aside from the administrative delays, do you think anything you’ve encountered at TAMUC would have slowed you down regardless? Anything that you would have done differently?

-Are you just taking the courses in the sequence they’re listed in the catalog, or are you choosing which course to accelerate to next? http://catalog.tamuc.edu/undergrad/colle...eadership/

-Have you taken the Data Driven Decision Making courses yet? If so, how math-y are they?

-Have they given you any additional information on the two Capstones yet?

Knocking out TAMUC, Sophia, and your PMP! You’re unstoppable! You’ve got this in the bag!

Sorry for the delay in response, I have had so much going on on my end! Here are the answers to your questions:

-Since the major courses are going to be the exact same for everyone, can you list out the work required for each TAMUC class? I think you only had two done during the last update.
So how things seem to work is that the course work is highly dependent on the teacher. There are several teachers that teach the same course and they are all different in their requirements. Since the requirements change with each teacher it would not be the same for everyone. Essentially the gist is the same, a pre-test on day 1, if you get over 80% you can accelerate to the final project, if not you must complete all the course work which usually involves passing 3-5 quizzes and then you can do the final project. There is also a post-test for every course. You must get over 80% on the post test and final project each to pass. The issue I run into is that some teachers have been extremely picky with the final projects. I don't mean that as in rubrics not being followed, I mean that where the projects where assigned in vague terms and I ended up not meeting the expectation of the teacher thus me having to re-do it. One particularly difficult teacher had be re-do a lot of written work throughout the course. Another teacher kept adding on requirements to the final project as I submitted it for grading. So all this to say that the process is very 'messy' because it is so up to how the teacher wants to grade. It is a bit frustrating because the teachers so far don't give any lectures (pre-recorded or live) and don't do any active 'teaching' so it's hard to learn their style. Courses are always a patchwork of readings from articles, textbooks and videos sourced online. 

-Aside from the administrative delays, do you think anything you’ve encountered at TAMUC would have slowed you down regardless? Anything that you would have done differently?
Definitely making sure I took all of the Sophia classes ahead of time. I could've taken Sophia History 2 but I didn't and that ended up being my first class. I lost a week due to it, and it's not much but I am on a tight deadline so every course counts. However was hard to know which courses I needed, still, I should've done a lot on Sophia, even though I did do a lot. Secondly is really inevitable but some teachers are hard graders so there is nothing you can do if your paper keeps getting pushed back for revision that kills your speed. Finally, I do try to find quizlets for the classes to familiarize myself with the material and that does help. 

-Are you just taking the courses in the sequence they’re listed in the catalog, or are you choosing which course to accelerate to next? http://catalog.tamuc.edu/undergrad/colle...eadership/
I don't have a choice, the Applied Major Courses are taken in sequence and the academic advisor signs you up for them.

-Have you taken the Data Driven Decision Making courses yet? If so, how math-y are they?
LOLLLL no, I am laughing not at the question but because I was worried about this one, but it turned out like it was all theory. However, Data Driven Decisions II I had a really though grader teacher who required a pretty extensive final project, which was examining a fake company's data and putting together a presentation for it. I had to put together 15+ excel graphs and a 20+ slide powerpoint presentation with narration as well as a written paper for it. This was the most extensive project I have had so far. 

-Have they given you any additional information on the two Capstones yet?
No, I asked the advisor and she told me to read the syllabus for those classes, which I did, but could not parse out anything from them really, it was all generic information about the course.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • CircleT7
Several states have created a partnership to offer a customized, state based degree using WGU's platform, Texas is one of them - Link: https://www.wgu.edu/texas/about.html
Here are other states that are affiliated and endorse WGU as well, you can review the link/states under affiliates - Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Go...Affiliates

Essentially, the "offices" in these states are just for the local advisory board and chancellor, they're basic/small offices that does administrative work.  Everything else is done on the backend by WGU.  You can't even go through commencement at these sites, they're not "schools", just offices.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • CircleT7, Vle045
(05-29-2022, 07:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Several states have created a partnership to offer a customized, state based degree using WGU's platform, Texas is one of them - Link: https://www.wgu.edu/texas/about.html
Here are other states that are affiliated and endorse WGU as well, you can review the link/states under affiliates - Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Go...Affiliates

Essentially, the "offices" in these states are just for the local advisory board and chancellor, they're basic/small offices that does administrative work.  Everything else is done on the backend by WGU.  You can't even go through commencement at these sites, they're not "schools", just offices.

Got it! from my research you sign up for regular wgu and they place you in a state one if it exists automatically, I would much prefer WGU Texas!
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
(05-29-2022, 07:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Several states have created a partnership to offer a customized, state based degree using WGU's platform, Texas is one of them - Link: https://www.wgu.edu/texas/about.html

Ohio has one.  Although I’m not sure what the benefit would be. Also, when I go to WGU.edu, I am automatically sent to the Ohio affiliate… even when I click that Texas link.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
How easy of disaster/difficult is it?
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
learningthehardway Wrote:How easy of disaster/difficult is it?

Hi. Just wondering - can you provide us a bit more details?
What is the "it" you're referring to? How difficult or easy is what?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-31-2022, 02:04 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
learningthehardway Wrote:How easy of disaster/difficult is it?

Hi.  Just wondering - can you provide us a bit more details?
What is the "it" you're referring to?  How difficult or easy is what?

I might change my password. I don't even recall typing that  Huh
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
(05-29-2022, 06:13 PM)mohelena02 Wrote:

So how things seem to work is that the course work is highly dependent on the teacher. There are several teachers that teach the same course and they are all different in their requirements. Since the requirements change with each teacher it would not be the same for everyone. Essentially the gist is the same, a pre-test on day 1, if you get over 80% you can accelerate to the final project, if not you must complete all the course work which usually involves passing 3-5 quizzes and then you can do the final project. There is also a post-test for every course. You must get over 80% on the post test and final project each to pass. The issue I run into is that some teachers have been extremely picky with the final projects. I don't mean that as in rubrics not being followed, I mean that where the projects where assigned in vague terms and I ended up not meeting the expectation of the teacher thus me having to re-do it. One particularly difficult teacher had be re-do a lot of written work throughout the course. Another teacher kept adding on requirements to the final project as I submitted it for grading. So all this to say that the process is very 'messy' because it is so up to how the teacher wants to grade. It is a bit frustrating because the teachers so far don't give any lectures (pre-recorded or live) and don't do any active 'teaching' so it's hard to learn their style. Courses are always a patchwork of readings from articles, textbooks and videos sourced online. 

Definitely making sure I took all of the Sophia classes ahead of time. I could've taken Sophia History 2 but I didn't and that ended up being my first class. I lost a week due to it, and it's not much but I am on a tight deadline so every course counts. However was hard to know which courses I needed, still, I should've done a lot on Sophia, even though I did do a lot. Secondly is really inevitable but some teachers are hard graders so there is nothing you can do if your paper keeps getting pushed back for revision that kills your speed. Finally, I do try to find quizlets for the classes to familiarize myself with the material and that does help. 

LOLLLL no, I am laughing not at the question but because I was worried about this one, but it turned out like it was all theory. However, Data Driven Decisions II I had a really though grader teacher who required a pretty extensive final project, which was examining a fake company's data and putting together a presentation for it. I had to put together 15+ excel graphs and a 20+ slide powerpoint presentation with narration as well as a written paper for it. This was the most extensive project I have had so far. 

With all the back and forths on these assignments, do you feel like the program is still worth it?  It almost sounds like expectations are not clear, slowing down progress?  Is this a relatively new format or new program for TAMUC?  

When you say you find quizlets, does that mean that you find them yourself by searching other resources or are there quizlets available through the school?  Do the quizlets help with the pre-test?

How many of the classes have you been able to accelerate to the final project vs having to do all the assignments?  

Are you learning new things that are valuable during the courses?

Thanks for sharing so much -- as texas residents, this looks particularly interesting!
With all the back and forths on these assignments, do you feel like the program is still worth it?  It almost sounds like expectations are not clear, slowing down progress?  Is this a relatively new format or new program for TAMUC?  
- The back and forth has been absolutely annoying and killing my pace at times, but still, the program is absolutely worth it for its price (for a TX resident). $750 per semester is really affordable for me, at a good pace you can do four classes, and that is still around $47 a credit which is absolutely a great deal. For some of the classes yes, the expectations aren't clear and it shifts, I would say this has been the case around 30% of the time. As far as I know this format has been around since after 2015.

When you say you find quizlets, does that mean that you find them yourself by searching other resources or are there quizlets available through the school?  Do the quizlets help with the pre-test?

-Both, sometimes the teacher has quizlets that I find, sometimes I find random ones. Yes, they help with the pre-test, but not always.

How many of the classes have you been able to accelerate to the final project vs having to do all the assignments?  
-Probably two

Are you learning new things that are valuable during the courses?
-I think this is hard to say. I have been in a management position for over 15 years, and I did a lot of independent study for certifications. So I feel like a lot of the information I am familiar with already. So yes and no.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • CircleT7
As of today, I have three more courses to go. The only official course left is Leading Change, the other two are Capstones 1 and 2. I am getting a little nervous because June 17th is the last day to add a course to this semester.

If not, our next semester starts July 11th and I will have to pay another $750 just to finish a course. We shall see.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
[-] The following 3 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • allvia, CircleT7, Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC BAAS ORGL DONE! txc1500 8 221 Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  TAMUC class review ltw900rr 26 4,364 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TAMUC Happy first day of Spring 1 ltw900rr 41 2,782 04-10-2024, 05:17 PM
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,837 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
  Bsnipedavis - TAMUC - Assistance Requested Bsnipedavis 20 2,508 03-16-2024, 08:50 AM
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 504 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 10 1,412 01-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: fromthedepths
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 47 6,236 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM
  TAMUC - Sophia advanced hours telldomis 3 604 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,565 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM