Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TAMUC Competency Based Program List
@teejayb, Thanks for letting us know. So, basically, they need 36 residency credits instead of the 30 now for all their BAAS and BSGS option. The good thing is, these are the only programs that will allow ACE options to be transferred into the degree, all other non competency based degrees will not accept the ACE alternative credits. I emailed them about the program on Friday, haven't heard anything yet... so I'll just wait for more info!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-20-2022, 07:19 PM)teejayb Wrote: Heads up. TAMUC is changing up their credit requirements. 36 credits of upper level classes are now required. So in addition to the 30 credits (10 Classes) on most of these competency degrees you will need at least 2 additional 300/400 classes from a 4-year college. No community, ACE, or other classes will satisfy this requirement. This aligns with the rest of the A&M bachelor programs which require the minimum 36 UL credits.

I'm not sure if I will have to do these additional units yet, or if anyone who is starting these next semester will have to. I believe its been a big oversight on their end and I will be extremely disappointed if I have an additional 2 random classes to take soon, kind of feels like they are changing the rules mid-game. But wanted everyone to know to expect that change. It appears that they have already changed that on the general degree requirement page.

How did you find this out?  They won't accept any upper level ACE to fulfill that requirement?  Community college can't be upper level in Texas, that is standard across the system.  I did notice that they listed *36 upper level required under the electives on the General Studies degree but they did not say no ACE for those.
I cant figure out how to upload the email screenshot, but here is the text version of the email I received a couple days ago. Maybe this was already known, but definitely not to me. To be clear, they are accepting ace credits for the majority of the courses. But you will need 6 upper level credits that transfer as 300/400 though them. None of my previous ace credits that I thought would come through did as a 300/400. So maybe that's my fault for assuming all ACE do not qualify. I've emailed my advisor to confirm. The ORLG program page still says upper and/or lower credits satisfy the requirement.

September 16, 2022
Greetings,
The University Catalog prescribes all requirements that must be met for graduation. The "Advanced Level Requirements specifies that students are required to complete 36 semester hours of upper-level (300-400-level courses). Courses transferred in from a community college cannot meet this requirement. Students in competency-based programs within the College of Innovation of Design will be held to this requirement. In some cases, this may create an opportunity to take additional Professional Development Elective courses to round-out your education while meeting graduation requirements.
Your advisor will reach out should your degree plan need to be altered with additional Professional Development Elective courses.
I wish you well this term as you continue to work towards your graduation goals. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes teejayb's post:
  • CircleT7
Which courses did you transfer in with the expectation that they'd be UL?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-21-2022, 08:50 AM)teejayb Wrote: I cant figure out how to upload the email screenshot, but here is the text version of the email I received a couple days ago. Maybe this was already known, but definitely not to me.

September 16, 2022
Greetings,
The University Catalog prescribes all requirements that must be met for graduation. The "Advanced Level Requirements specifies that students are required to complete 36 semester hours of upper-level (300-400-level courses). Courses transferred in from a community college cannot meet this requirement. Students in competency-based programs within the College of Innovation of Design will be held to this requirement. In some cases, this may create an opportunity to take additional Professional Development Elective courses to round-out your education while meeting graduation requirements.
Your advisor will reach out should your degree plan need to be altered with additional Professional Development Elective courses.
I wish you well this term as you continue to work towards your graduation goals. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me.

That sounds like it was an oversight on their part in their program design before with the CID programs.  The Bachelor of General Studies did say it on their page, but the BAAS Org Leadership did not (previously).

UNT has a BAAS program that accepts Coursera credits and they indicate that 36 UL hours must be taken at UNT for graduation.  It's a very expensive degree ($330 per credit hour) and not one that we have considered seriously because of the other options out there.  BUT there is precedence within the Texas system for requiring 36 UL hours AND requiring them to be taken at the home university (UNT allows 12 hours to transfer from another university).
[-] The following 1 user Likes christinadq's post:
  • staceydiane
(09-21-2022, 09:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Which courses did you transfer in with the expectation that they'd be UL?

I had a few 10+ year old business and accounting classes. But that's probably my mistake not knowing what to actually expect with how LL and UL classes work. I'm trying to set up a quick phone call with the Dean since this will affect my timeline goals. I feel like oversight or not, that if you are currently in the program you should be grandfathered into the program you originally started with. This aligns with the TAMU rules I have found. The program has been around for years without this requirement. Why not start with the next incoming students and have a fresh expectation level?
(09-21-2022, 11:40 AM)teejayb Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 09:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Which courses did you transfer in with the expectation that they'd be UL?

I had a few 10+ year old business and accounting classes. But that's probably my mistake not knowing what to actually expect with how LL and UL classes work. I'm trying to set up a quick phone call with the Dean since this will affect my timeline goals. I feel like oversight or not, that if you are currently in the program you should be grandfathered into the program you originally started with. This aligns with the TAMU rules I have found. The program has been around for years without this requirement. Why not start with the next incoming students and have a fresh expectation level?

In your phone call with the Dean, mention just that - Why not start with the next incoming students and have a fresh expectation level?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Quick update on the policy. I'm in the BAAS Organizational Leadership degree program as a second bachelor student and asked about the new additional six credits of upper level requirement. I was told: "This is waved for 2nd bachelors."

That probably won't help many people, but it's worth mentioning.
Follow up. I had a very nice discussion with the Dean of the college today. She said in a very polite and politically correct way that although they have been not following the rules and policies of the college with the 36 UL requirements for years, they will be now. All students not graduating this semester will be forced into this "new" degree catalogue. Although this specific degree pathway shows nothing about needing UL classes except for the 30 hours of ORGL, and my degree was approved with only needing these 10 and a government class, myself and other are forced to add an extra semester to our time here. I'll post my honest review after I am done with this degree, but is has not been a great start so far.

So in addition to what's on the wiki, if you do not have another bachelors or do not have UL classes from other colleges, (which they may or may not take) expect to take an additional 2 courses during your time. Expect to do a minimum of 12 classes here. Plus a government class or two to satisfy the Texas requirements.
(09-27-2022, 08:12 PM)teejayb Wrote: Follow up. I had a very nice discussion with the Dean of the college today. She said in a very polite and politically correct way that although they have been not following the rules and policies  of the college with the 36 UL requirements for years, they will be now. All students not graduating this semester will be forced into this "new" degree catalogue. Although this specific degree pathway shows nothing about needing UL classes except for the 30 hours of ORGL, and my degree was approved with only needing these 10 and a government class, myself and other are forced to add an extra semester to our time here. I'll post my honest review after I am done with this degree, but is has not been a great start so far.

So in addition to what's on the wiki, if you do not have another bachelors or do not have UL classes from other colleges, (which they may or may not take)  expect to take an additional 2 courses during your time. Expect to do a minimum of 12 classes here. Plus a government class or two to satisfy the Texas requirements.

WOW this is so shocking and terrible. Sorry you are having to go through this. Unbelievable.

When I did this degree I actually had to take a History class (outside of Texas history) because I had overlooked a Sophia credit, total mistake on my part. That was a UL class and in my opinion *humbly* subpar class. I prefer the Sophia method much more. The professor I had was very checked out. Also, some teachers make it hard to 'accelerate' because they lag a lot. Sad this happens as this could be such an incredible program.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC BAAS ORGL DONE! txc1500 8 409 04-18-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  TAMUC class review ltw900rr 26 4,425 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TAMUC Happy first day of Spring 1 ltw900rr 41 2,826 04-10-2024, 05:17 PM
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 327 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  Bsnipedavis - TAMUC - Assistance Requested Bsnipedavis 20 2,593 03-16-2024, 08:50 AM
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 411 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,981 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 510 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 10 1,415 01-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: fromthedepths
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 47 6,260 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM