Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Capstone prep work?
Hey everyone,

I signed up for a guided study capstone course starting December 2. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to this at all.(I have never been a fan of writing long papers)

Is there anything I should be doing, or books I should be buying to prepare for the course?
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
I'd also be curious to know if anyone weighs in...

what are the benefits of choosing guided study rather than online for a Capstone?

Are there less writing assignments or does it still have to be a 15 page paper?
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
I believe I read the course requires a 25 page paper. Sad

I believe the major difference between guided study and an online course is the online course requires student participation in a discussion forum of some type. While it is extra work, some consider it an easy way to boost your grade a bit. Personally I just want to get this thing done, I don't want to have any obligations other then writing the paper.
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
LIB-495-OL
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
I am on Module Four of the capstone under Dr. Haydel. It does require a minimum 25 page paper that contains original research, although the whole thing doesn't have to be just your findings. I thought 25 pages sounded long, but I can already tell you that you will easily write more than that just because you will get on a roll. I am on page 21 and I have two chapters to go, plus all the other bells and whistles of a formal paper, so I think mine will be close to forty pages when I am finished. Some students end up writing so much they turn in eighty and one hundred page papers. No fear, that isn't required, but it is doable.

I'm not sure about Guided Study, but I have heard that you interact with the mentor instead of fellow students in the discussion forums.

The thing to know about the capstone is it was designed for you to display your ability to sift, synthesize, and analyze information - basically showcasing the skills you learned on the way to your degree. Dr. Haydel (who incidentally designed the course for TESC) told me that it is designed off of a master's thesis, so if you end up going to grad school you will know how to write one.

I would say start learning about APA citation, as this is what is required for social science type papers, while MLA is reserved for creative projects. APA is precise, and my first few writing assignments got dinged for not being careful enough on the citation. It wasn't bad - I ended up with a B+. Also start learning how to use the citation function on Microsoft Word, or Son of Citation Machine; they will be invaluable in the format. Learn how to do a running header, as that is a huge thing.

The thing about writing this paper is actually how redundant you end up being. You end up taking the first page or two of each assignment re-iterating your subject and the subquestions you are going to answer, and how you are answering them. One thing is for sure, academic writing is totally nonsensical to me. I write speeches and novels, where erudition is a premium. But since this is the only thing standing between me and my degree, I'll slog through it. :-)

Good luck!
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
ironheadjack Wrote:I believe I read the course requires a 25 page paper. Sad

I believe the major difference between guided study and an online course is the online course requires student participation in a discussion forum of some type. While it is extra work, some consider it an easy way to boost your grade a bit. Personally I just want to get this thing done, I don't want to have any obligations other then writing the paper.

Thanks!

And I don't know where I got 15, but wow, 25 is a lot of writing. Do they ever mention a word count or just pages?
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
It's just 25 pages. If you think of it as 5 pages per chapter it looks less overwhelming. And once you get into it you'll find that you're writing more than you thought.

I felt the same way as you when I started. Start thinking about topics and problem questions that you can research and answer. Make sure to pick a topic that interests you. There's a lot of technical formatting that you have to follow that, while I think it looks impressive, I find really tedious and boring. I mean, I'm not really into writing, but because I love the topic I picked, I wouldn't mind writing about it all day, every day. But having to write in such a formal way, different from how I would naturally write, kinda takes away the fun... It's not that bad if you have a lot of sources and data to use. You spend a majority of your writing repeating and rewriting what you wrote. I would try to get copies of other people's capstones to get a feel for how to structure chapters, sections, sentences...
BA History from TESC, Spring 2014
120 credits
[SIZE="1"]An&InLit, AmLit, USHisI, USHisII EnCompw/Essay, WCivI, WCivII, ALEKS PreCalc, AmGov, IntroComp, Bio, Intro Psych, Human Growth, Ed Psych, EnglishLit, Art of WW, SoSci&His, Vietnam War, World Religions, Europe 1945, Middle East, Soviet Union, Humanities, FEMAs, TESC courses - Liberal Arts Capstone, War and American Society
[/SIZE]
If you do a creative project then the paper itself is 15 (instead of 25) pages. I ended up doing the creative project (since I am interested in videography and graphic design). I think I ended up putting a ton more hours into the creative project than I would have if I only wrote a paper. I do agree with others that once you start it isn't as hard as you expect to get to 25 pages. My paper was 27 pages plus doing the creative project.
You can do this!!
Arthiel Wrote:I felt the same way as you when I started. Start thinking about topics and problem questions that you can research and answer. Make sure to pick a topic that interests you. There's a lot of technical formatting that you have to follow that, while I think it looks impressive, I find really tedious and boring. I mean, I'm not really into writing, but because I love the topic I picked, I wouldn't mind writing about it all day, every day. But having to write in such a formal way, different from how I would naturally write, kinda takes away the fun... It's not that bad if you have a lot of sources and data to use. You spend a majority of your writing repeating and rewriting what you wrote. I would try to get copies of other people's capstones to get a feel for how to structure chapters, sections, sentences...
This ^ Exactly. There are 2 required books but one os just what you refer to for APA citation—you can get that info online (Purdue Owl, some link on TESC's website...). The other is this one: Amazon.com: Writing the Winning Thesis or Dissertation: A Step-by-Step Guide eBook: Allan A. Glatthorn, Randy L. Joyner: Kindle Store and it basically talks about how to write the type of paper they want. Might be helpful.

And then, you'll need to pick a topic. Choose a few that that you're interested in and be thinking about it. You'll need to have a major question and then 3-4 subquestions that help answer that. Answering those Qs helps answer the main Q, which is how you write the paper. Wink
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Thanks everyone!

I bought the two required textbooks last night on Amazon. The idea of breaking it down to 5 pages per module, makes it seem less daunting. I'm still not excited about this whole thing. Lol

Am I correct in assuming that the 25 page minimum doesn't have to be 25 written pages, a few pages could be charts, graphs, tables, etc. Also does the total page count include bibliography, title page, etc.??
Arnold Fletcher Award

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,299 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,734 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,973 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,803 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,535 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,622 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill