Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC: Converting Business degree to a 2nd degree in Computer Science
Hello,

I have a business/information systems degree from phoenix and am getting a masters in IT at a good brick and mortar school online. However, my career opportunities increasingly require a computer science degree.I applied for the BA in computer science at TESC and they are currently reviewing my transcripts to see what will transfer over from my business degree.

I am thinking that a lot of the advanced math and programming courses are going to be required even after I transfer in. Anyone have any tips on a path of least resistance for the BA in comp sci?
depends what transfers in.

Look for Sanatone's info on CBE from CSU. There are a couple of courses there that may help and be considered upper level. Straighterline has into to C++

You can do PreCalc through ALEKS. Straighterline has Calc I and II.

You may want to look to your local CC for some of the math classes and lower level CS classes.

Depending on your tuition plan at TESC and other circumstance, you may want to consider some classes at COSC as a non-matriculated student and transferring them to TESC. There is a thread here where Upton and I discussed our experiences with the Software Engineering course at TESC vs. COSC.

What sub-field do you work in that is leading you to pursue the CS degree when you already have the B/IS and are working on the Masters in IT?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:depends what transfers in.

Look for Sanatone's info on CBE from CSU. There are a couple of courses there that may help and be considered upper level. Straighterline has into to C++

You can do PreCalc through ALEKS. Straighterline has Calc I and II.

You may want to look to your local CC for some of the math classes and lower level CS classes.

Depending on your tuition plan at TESC and other circumstance, you may want to consider some classes at COSC as a non-matriculated student and transferring them to TESC. There is a thread here where Upton and I discussed our experiences with the Software Engineering course at TESC vs. COSC.

What sub-field do you work in that is leading you to pursue the CS degree when you already have the B/IS and are working on the Masters in IT?
Thanks for the information. I am an IT project manager for software development projects. Currently, the prospects in my workplace for IT management types is a bit stagnant but there are some nice opportunities for computer scientists and engineers. Also, I may need a mechanism to add Calculus courses to a transcript anyway to get a more tech job even if I don't end up completing the CS.

I am concerned about cost though and time. I am hoping to get as many Calculus, statistics and computer science credits added to a transcript as quickly as possible (few months perhaps...) to take advantage of a job opportunity...
Software development roles seem to prefer CS degrees.

You can start ALEKS and Straighterline right now if you want to. Stats through ALEKS is rough for some people
Andy

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics

ajs1976 Wrote:Software development roles seem to prefer CS degrees.

You can start ALEKS and Straighterline right now if you want to. Stats through ALEKS is rough for some people
How hard is the calc I and II at straighterline?
I did Calc II and III from a B&M years ago, so I do not have any experience with them through straighterline.

If you search the board for "calc" you may find some other discussions.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...uence.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...cerns.html

you might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...nce-2.html
Andy

Current Degree Plan

ajs1976 Wrote:I did Calc II and III from a B&M years ago, so I do not have any experience with them through straighterline.

If you search the board for "calc" you may find some other discussions.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...uence.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...cerns.html

you might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...nce-2.html

Thanks! I'll take a look.
SelfImprovement Wrote:How hard is the calc I and II at straighterline?

Straighterline uses Thinkwell Calculus. For about $150 you can get both Calc I and II through Thinkwell and work through the materials before signing up with Straighterline. This should minimize the time required while paying Straighterline. The difficulty depends on your preparedness. If you are comfortable with Precalculus and Trig, you should be able to work through the materials. The videos provided by Thinkwell are exceptional.
UptonSinclair Wrote:Straighterline uses Thinkwell Calculus. For about $150 you can get both Calc I and II through Thinkwell and work through the materials before signing up with Straighterline. This should minimize the time required while paying Straighterline. The difficulty depends on your preparedness. If you are comfortable with Precalculus and Trig, you should be able to work through the materials. The videos provided by Thinkwell are exceptional.
It has been a while since I took any direct math courses. I am slightly concerned about getting through the courses in a timely fashion. Are the proctored exams extremely difficult?
Would it maybe be worth trying ALEKS precalc first to find out where you're at currently? Basically a $20 litmus test for your calc preparedness (plus you'll get the 3cr of Precalc to go with it). If you're already at a 70% or better you'll get 3cr of precalc straightaway and you'll have a sense of what you need to focus on to make the most efficient use of your time and money knocking out your calc credits.

The difficulty of SL's exams is really subjective and relative to your familiarity with the subject.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,233 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,876 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,367 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,689 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,973 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,902 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,788 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,039 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,977 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,343 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627