Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak Cornerstone Course Review
Finished this first 8 weeks of last semester. I have seen some questions about it, so I thought I would throw up a post on the topic.

Cornerstone (IDS101) was not all that difficult, but there is a decent bit of writing to be done. You develope a CPS or Concentration Plan of Study as a part of the course. this details exactly what courses you need to take, how and where you will take them, and how the degree concentration will help you meet your personal goals etc...

You also do library/research activities weekly and do little projects and such. You must post on the class bulletin board weekly (3x's I think). Most of these projects are pretty quick, a couple are a little involved. You tackle issues like proper MLA or APA citation, how to research a topic, a little on developing your writing ability, and just a little grammer and sentence structure.

In addition to your CPA which is completed for a grade then forwarded to a board for formal approval you must also complete one big research project related to your degree. I think this was a 5-8 page typed double spaced paper (if memory serves). Both the CPA and the final paper require a rough draft submission and a final submission. The instructor wants to see you work, to see a difference between your rough draft and your final. To see the progression.

I like to write and did not find the course particularly difficult, someone with weak or rusty English skills might find it more challenging. The most difficult part for me was the relatively regimanted assignment schedule. I hate deadlines, tend to chafe at being told when something is to be done, and I struggled with that in this class. Most of my assignments were completed the day they were due, usually with just hours or minutes to spare. I payed for that earning a "B" in the class.

The instructor was excellent, really a nice guy. I think the class was instrumental in getting my head back into the academic writing style. I took three intensive writing courses at Colorado State Pueblo just after finishing the Cornerstone course and i can say the Cornerstone was great practice for the courses that followed. If your going the CSU route skip MLA and use APA for everything, it seems to be the citation and style "choice" for them.

Going in, I was not happy about the expense in time and money that this course cost me. Turns out it was time and money well spent.

One could theoretically take this first 8 weeks and a Capstone last 8 weeks (or last 5 weeks). I suspect the Cornerstone would be excellent preperation for the Capstone.

Reb,
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you for reporting on your COSC experiences. I'm garnering information (a/k/a lurking) on the web site. My plan is to gather information, test out of as many courses as possible, apply to COSC, get admitted (?!), and get a business administration concentration. It's great to learn from others about their experiences with COSC, capstones, cornerstones, kidneystones, whatever. Thanks for sharing.
THanks so much for posting your Capstone review. I wish we had a folder here to put all this good stuff. At least this is searchable!

It sounds like I really could have benefited from this class. I knew nothing about APA citation when I started my Capstone and had to rush to learn. Sounds like a worthwhile course, especially for someone who is new to college and/or online classes.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:THanks so much for posting your Capstone review. I wish we had a folder here to put all this good stuff. At least this is searchable!

It sounds like I really could have benefited from this class. I knew nothing about APA citation when I started my Capstone and had to rush to learn. Sounds like a worthwhile course, especially for someone who is new to college and/or online classes.

Burbuja0512, it was indeed a worthwhile course. I posted it here to give a little back to a community that has given me so very much. I am one (numbers less than ten are traditionally spelled rather than just typed "1", I learned that in my cornerstone class Smile ) semester behind you. I really wish you and I had managed to graduate together, it would have been nice to get our families together up in New Britain and have a coffee or something at graduation. I think of you as my fellow alumnus(soon to be). Your posts and motivation have been inspirational.

Latebloomer, give COSC some serious consideration. I brought over 120 hours from several different B&M colleges to the table and I really do feel that COSC is offering a unique and worthwhile degree path.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Burbuja0512, it was indeed a worthwhile course. I posted it here to give a little back to a community that has given me so very much. I am one (numbers less than ten are traditionally spelled rather than just typed "1", I learned that in my cornerstone class Smile ) semester behind you. I really wish you and I had managed to graduate together, it would have been nice to get our families together up in New Britain and have a coffee or something at graduation. I think of you as my fellow alumnus(soon to be). Your posts and motivation have been inspirational.

AWWWWW Rebel100 it is a shame we won't graduate together! I would go see your graduation if COSC weren't so darn far away from Colorado!! Smile

I've been pretty excited so far with the graduation. COSC sent some beautiful invitations to a pre-graduation brunch. I also just got the email with the instructions for the big day. WOW... can't even believe it. I haven't worn a cap and gown since May 1993!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
It sounds something like EC's Information Literacy requirement. (Which many people take at PFC at transfer out of.) If so, you should be able to transfer out of this one too. If it were the case that you couldn't , it would be another factor pushing me towards EC instead of COSC (since I did the class at PFC) as I don't want to be forced to take a "cash grab" class teaching me how to use a search engine and MLA citations after already having done one.

Thanks for the writeup, I had been wondering about what it was too.
BrandeX Wrote:It sounds something like EC's Information Literacy requirement. (Which many people take at PFC at transfer out of.) If so, you should be able to transfer out of this one too. If it were the case that you couldn't , it would be another factor pushing me towards EC instead of COSC (since I did the class at PFC) as I don't want to be forced to take a "cash grab" class teaching me how to use a search engine and MLA citations after already having done one.

Thanks for the writeup, I had been wondering about what it was too.

I think that since the CPS development is a part of the class they are going to require everyone to take it. It is a class thats unique to the COSC way of doing things. I saw it as a cash cow for the school till I took it, I see it less so now.

COSC did reduce it's services fee recently, perhaps that can help make up the difference for you.
AS in EMS August 2010

I think that COSC is taking careful steps to ensure that their graduates really are prepared. I wouldn't have wanted to take a cornerstone, but after going through the capstone, I can see the need. I really wasn't totally prepared for everything in the capstone. From a subject matter standpoint - yes, I was 150% to take on the book and the topics, but from an online class perspective, I was not prepared. If you've done a lot of online classwork, are familiar with online team work and how to interact in a virtual environment, managing the multiple posts with different assignments, it may be a waste of time.

However, I did feel like a fish out of water at first in my capstone. Luckily I'm a quick learner and made some friends right away. I emailed them my really dumb questions so the professor never knew that I was a little clueless. I ended up with an A in the class so it's all good. However, it could be a bit risky to make your capstone the very first online (interactive - not talking about the self-paced ones) class you take.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Rebel and Burbuja, Thanks for all of the COSC information. I'm inching toward applying in July with the goal of graduating in Jun 2012. The wonderful community here at InstantCert will be a big help, I'm sure. Right now I'm trying to clarify some issues so that all of my ducks will be in a row when I apply to COSC and I won't be wasting my tuition time gathering facts and clearing up problems that I can do before my tuition clock starts running!
LaterBloomer Wrote:Rebel and Burbuja, Thanks for all of the COSC information. I'm inching toward applying in July with the goal of graduating in Jun 2012. The wonderful community here at InstantCert will be a big help, I'm sure. Right now I'm trying to clarify some issues so that all of my ducks will be in a row when I apply to COSC and I won't be wasting my tuition time gathering facts and clearing up problems that I can do before my tuition clock starts running!

Very cool!! Keep us posted Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,376 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Cornerstone waiver Dowew 23 4,752 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,718 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,136 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU Cornerstone stuck in my "cart" MNomadic 8 2,058 08-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU/SDC cornerstone waiver? MNomadic 6 1,750 08-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Last Post: fork
  TESU - BSBA in Marketing - Plan Review chattenoire 2 1,292 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,834 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
  TESU Cornerstone for AA? AwardTour 12 2,875 06-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,567 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM