Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Seeking University Status in NJ
Looks like Thomas Edison is finally making the move to University status...

Thomas Edison State College seeks to become a university

http://www.tesc.edu/campusuite25/modules...ity-Status

More interestingly, the article mentions that the college will be offering it's first Doctorates degree in March of next year...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
I wonder if the close call of a forced takeover as well as the new degree partnership program with Rutgers helped push the decision along. Pleased to see TESC soldiering on...adding the onsite nursing program, and last I read there were other courses being introduced onsite. Recently breaking ground for additional onsite space and now a doctoral program makes me quite proud I chose TESC.

@Saharapost, I'm sure you are also pleased by this news. It solves your college vs university issue.

Go TESC....soon TESU!!! :hurray:

Great stuff!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I respect TESC a lot as an institution and I'm glad to see their continued success. They were getting pretty big for state college status and it's probably about time.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

What impact would this have for its current students? Will I just need to add a note if someone needed to verify my credentials that the school had a name change sometime down the line?
That's great news! GO TESC! :hurray:

Just wondering though if this will have any effect on our transcripts... will credits earned before the name change be listed on the transcript as awarded by "TESC", and those after the change be listed as awarded by "TESU"? :confused:
bricabrac Wrote:...and now a doctoral program makes me quite proud I chose TESC.

Hey bric (or anyone else), can you please post some more information about this? I can't seem to get any hits about it through a general interwebz search. Thanks in advance!
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
bricabrac Wrote:I wonder if the close call of a forced takeover as well as the new degree partnership program with Rutgers helped push the decision along. Pleased to see TESC soldiering on...adding the onsite nursing program, and last I read there were other courses being introduced onsite. Recently breaking ground for additional onsite space and now a doctoral program makes me quite proud I chose TESC.

@Saharapost, I'm sure you are also pleased by this news. It solves your college vs university issue.

Go TESC....soon TESU!!! :hurray:

Great stuff!

This is great news, Bric. Sure, I feel as though the name change will benefit me the most. Big Grin Requesting re-issuance of TESC transcript and Diploma on my mind when university status becomes approved. :nopity:
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
bawhitsett Wrote:Hey bric (or anyone else), can you please post some more information about this? I can't seem to get any hits about it through a general interwebz search. Thanks in advance!

Bawhitsett,

I just read the blurb in the linked article. I'm sure there will be lots of PR when they are closer to rolling out the program. I seem to vaguely remember reading about this before but don't remember when/where. As doctoral programs are much more complex, I would imagine they must have candidates selected if it's set to begin in March.

Maybe keep an eye out for the next Signals or Insights newsletter, that's usually where upcoming information is first released to alum/current students.

Saharapost Wrote:This is great news, Bric. Sure, I feel as though the name change will benefit me the most. Big Grin Requesting re-issuance of TESC transcript and Diploma on my mind when university status becomes approved. :nopity:

Saharapost,

I look forward to doing the same! Thomas Edison State University is going to look very cool on parchment. cheersmate

Additional thoughts:

The change in academic status explains the adjustments made to existing programs, new policy, and tightened guidelines. Dr Pruitt stated they are going to continue their current academic model, which in my mind means self directed learning, designed to accommodate adult student population. That said, I would definitely jump on any currently accepted unproctored credit asap (eg Aleks).

Also, take advantage of the Pay Per Credit Tuition Plan to get enrolled and locked in to the current catalog. You could begin with the TECEP CIS107 Computer Concepts and Applications exam which is very similar to DSST Intro to Computing and the CLEP version Information Systems & Computer Applications. Remember, you can always change your tuition plan later. I am more concerned about additional program changes in the new July 2015-2016 catalog. If they apply for university status in the spring, any [pending approval] comments/feedback would most likely be incorporated into the upcoming academic year. If academia mirrors businesses when seeking approvals, this may be a likely scenario.

Whatever changes the new academic year may bring, this is a very positive and exciting time for TESC, its alum, current and prospective students!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Bawhitsett,

I just read the blurb in the linked article. I'm sure there will be lots of PR when they are closer to rolling out the program. I seem to vaguely remember reading about this before but don't remember when/where. As doctoral programs are much more complex, I would imagine they must have candidates selected if it's set to begin in March.

Maybe keep an eye out for the next Signals or Insights newsletter, that's usually where upcoming information is first released to alum/current students.

Saharapost,

I look forward to doing the same! Thomas Edison State University is going to look very cool on parchment. cheersmate

Additional thoughts:

The change in academic status explains the adjustments made to existing programs, new policy, and tightened guidelines. Dr Pruitt stated they are going to continue their current academic model, which in my mind means self directed learning, designed to accommodate adult student population. That said, I would definitely jump on any currently accepted unproctored credit asap (eg Aleks).

Also, take advantage of the Pay Per Credit Tuition Plan to get enrolled and locked in to the current catalog. You could begin with the TECEP CIS107 Computer Concepts and Applications exam which is not that much different than COS101 DSST Intro to Computing or the CLEP version Information Systems & Computer Applications. Remember, you can always change your tuition plan later. I am more concerned about additional program changes in the new July 2015-2016 catalog.

Whatever changes the new academic year may bring, this is a very positive and exciting time for TESC, its alum, current and prospective students!

Good thoughts, excellent plans. "SaharaPost Goes Back to School..." Smile
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Award:

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

24 Credits from TECEP
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Am not sure whether TESU will be the new name when university status is conferred. Is there any rule about name change? In my home country, it is often difficult for an institution of higher learning to change name. It takes ages (if at all ) for name change approval to be granted. Maybe Edison State University(ESU) or The University of the State of New Jersey (not to be confused with Rutgers- The State University of New Jersey), University of Trenton (UoT)? What name would you like TESC to change to upon university status approval?
- Akintayo

Award:

Graduate School

24 Credits from TECEP
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,060 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,648 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Inactive Status? eriehiker 3 1,255 06-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Last Post: davewill
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,693 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,680 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,199 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,993 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,351 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,162 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone