Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC "Two Areas of Study" per degree
All, I already have a bachelor's degree so I only get one more shot at an undergrad degree. I noticed this among TESC's undergraduate academic policies:

Quote:Two Areas of Study Within One Degree
Students may complete up to two areas of study within one bachelor’s degree. No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time.

Source is Academic Policies and Ways to Earn Credit - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢.

I have a lot of business credits, a number of which were taken after I got my bachelor's. I am actually working on the upper level requirements for the BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics, but I would only need a few more courses for an accounting major in addition to the BA in Nat Sci/Math. Is that possible, given that a business degrees is a BS and the Nat Sci/Math degree is a BA? Are there any other potential pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....
Great question....when I first read about the two areas of study, I assumed that my son could also do a BA Computer Science and a BSBA. What TESC doesn't do a good job of explaining is that the two Areas of Study must come from within the same degree PROGRAM. So you could have two within the BA or two within the BSBA but you couldn't combine a BA and a BSBA.

I went round and round with everyone on this about six months ago...but it still doesn't hurt to ask again. If they say it is possible then please post this information.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I thought that might be the case. If I pursue it, I will definitely post an answer.

Too bad I don't have more CS credits because that might not be a bad complement to Nat Sci/Math.

Thanks, Geezer.
Here is another thought. They do have a few undergraduate certificates including one in Accounting Thomas Edison State College | Undergraduate Certificates

Undergraduate Certificates are not discussed too much here, but it may make sense for someone. If my son didn't plan on going for the BSBA CIS then we would add the CIS Certificate to the BA Computer Science.
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I would be absolutely shocked if they allowed that. I don't know TESCs policy, but I can speak from my general observations from dozens (maybe hundreds) of programs I have researched. Now, there are times when a BA and a BS might be allowed under a dual degree plan, but those typically require that you get the exact same amount of credits as two degrees, so it would often be more practical to do them consecutively, since you would get one degree much faster and could at least be done with one while you are pursuing another.

There are times when a BA major could also be a BS major, and vice versa (I often see this with Psychology and Sociology), so all you must do is change the lettering and then you can double major.

In your case, the reason why I doubt the possibility is because you are talking about a business degree VS. an arts and science degree. They are almost always offered from different schools from the college (I don't know of a single example where they are offered from the same school, although my research into business degrees was very limited compared to my research of Psych and Soc degrees).
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Quote:I don't know of a single example where they are offered from the same school, although my research into business degrees was very limited compared to my research of Psych and Soc degrees

Double Major, Combined Major, Independent Major, and Second Bachelor’s Degree
Geezer Wrote:Great question....when I first read about the two areas of study, I assumed that my son could also do a BA Computer Science and a BSBA. What TESC doesn't do a good job of explaining is that the two Areas of Study must come from within the same degree PROGRAM. So you could have two within the BA or two within the BSBA but you couldn't combine a BA and a BSBA.

I went round and round with everyone on this about six months ago...but it still doesn't hurt to ask again. If they say it is possible then please post this information.
Wait a sec. Can't I complete 30 credits for a BSBA after finishing a BA? I know personally I will need actually 50+ just because of the requirements, but I want to be sure. Thanks.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Quote:Wait a sec. Can't I complete 30 credits for a BSBA after finishing a BA? I know personally I will need actually 50+ just because of the requirements, but I want to be sure. Thanks.

Yes, and you now (since July) only need 24 credits for the second bachelor's degree. The OP was talking about two areas of study within a single degree. Both are talked about here Undergraduate Academic Policies - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢
Geezer Wrote:Yes, and you now (since July) only need 24 credits for the second bachelor's degree. The OP was talking about two areas of study within a single degree. Both are talked about here Undergraduate Academic Policies - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢
Ah okay, thanks. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't wasting my time. Wink
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Geezer, if I understood correctly, it would also be possible to apply 9 credits from one major's core courses to another major's core courses. In the Nat Sci/CS example, that could mean applying 3 upper level CS courses to the Nat Sci/Math major's core since CS courses are permitted in the Nat Sci/Math core.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 12,367 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,363 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,682 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,896 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,846 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia