Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC policy change requiring 300/400 for UL?
verity-business Wrote:I can definitely understand why this policy change would come as a surprise if you weren't expecting it. I work with Verity Institute and we had been in touch with TESC since Aug. 2008 regarding these policy changes. It was nice to know ahead of time because we made adjustments in our degree programs so that students were already taking the tests/courses that they would need under the new policy.

Two thoughts came out of this experience:

1) Be in touch early with people at Thomas Edison (or work with a 3rd party organization that is!). Be sure to know ahead of time that what you are doing is going to work. It really stinks to work that hard and then not have it turn out like you were hoping!

2) Yes, TESC is making their degree requirements harder. This however, is not a bad thing. Remember, this is for your benefit: you WANT people to respect your alma mater when you graduate.

In my experience, TESC has been great to work with (and yes, I have corresponded today with people there!) and I trust that everyone else has a similar experience!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Can we be done with the spam and shameless plugs for your company please?
Wow, sorry about that. My point was just that if you talk WITH Thomas Edison instead of just talking ABOUT them that you really can get the information that you need and second that stricter degree requirements can be very beneficial. I apologize if that was not communicated well.
I don't know if the person who took organic chem is still watching, but my organic Chem I and II with lab 5 credits each were counted as 300 level courses. Yes they are very difficult courses and I would have been surprised if they weren't 300 level Mine came up as CHE-341 and CHE342.

I am glad I was enrolled at TESC before, I might have wasted a few bucks being enrolled longer than i needed to be but I would be SOL on a lot of things if I wasn't enrolled before the change. I do find it encouraging though that they are trying to up their standards it will make the degree mean more in the future.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
verity-business Wrote:I can definitely understand why this policy change would come as a surprise if you weren't expecting it. I work with Verity Institute and we had been in touch with TESC since Aug. 2008 regarding these policy changes. It was nice to know ahead of time because we made adjustments in our degree programs so that students were already taking the tests/courses that they would need under the new policy.

Two thoughts came out of this experience:

1) Be in touch early with people at Thomas Edison. Be sure to know ahead of time that what you are doing is going to work. It really stinks to work that hard and then not have it turn out like you were hoping!

2) Yes, TESC is making their degree requirements harder. This however, is not a bad thing. Remember, this is for your benefit: you WANT people to respect your alma mater when you graduate.

In my experience, TESC has been great to work with (and yes, I have corresponded today with people there!) and I trust that everyone else has a similar experience!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Spam much?

My 2 pennies. No I haven't had that experience. I like tesc b/c with hard work the school will allow me to get a degree as soon as possible. That's what's MOST important to me-the TIME and MONEY factor! But from what I've seen, they are not helpful to many students with basic questions. Read the current threads on TE's enrolled student board to see the confusing, conflicting information school staff gives out. My experience is tesc is do it yourself advising and planning with required follow-up to be sure things get done.
I was reading that those enrolled before this change aren't subject to the change. I enrolled in Aug of 08 but have changed my concentration a few times and just yesterday changed it to Liberal Studies. I will call tomorrow to get a definite answer but is it date of enrollment at the college or the date of change into the program? I didn't know anything about the 300 and 400 classes so I will have to do 4 of those as of right now.
bawhitsett Wrote:Makes me curious as to if they're going to bring the other programs (in particular the BSBA) up to snuff as well...

Seems as though they have.

BSBA free elective credits went from 18 down to 6. That's 12 less FEMAs.

Gen. Ed. credits went from 9 to 21. Increase of at least $160 (for 2 six credit CLEPs).

gck
Wow, I haven't been on the forum in months and am catching up on all the changes. My ds finished his degree requirements this summer for a BA in Liberal Studies. He just got his degree today (Jennifer, you might remember us). Anyway, he was so disappointed that the degree just stated a Bachelor of Arts. He kept going on and on about what kind of degree is that. It could be a BA in Criminology or Communication or anything. Even his AS degrees stated what they were in. Gosh, I would have thought he'd be happy. Oh, well...he's off to bible college next month. (sigh)
a mom Wrote:Wow, I haven't been on the forum in months and am catching up on all the changes. My ds finished his degree requirements this summer for a BA in Liberal Studies. He just got his degree today (Jennifer, you might remember us). Anyway, he was so disappointed that the degree just stated a Bachelor of Arts. He kept going on and on about what kind of degree is that. It could be a BA in Criminology or Communication or anything. Even his AS degrees stated what they were in. Gosh, I would have thought he'd be happy. Oh, well...he's off to bible college next month. (sigh)
>>

Yes I remember you guys! Congrats to your son, and just tell him that it's pretty normal for degrees to have the BA or BS without anything else on them. Maybe 90% of schools do that, so hopefully he can just frame it and enjoy it! Smile Way to go!!
Thanks, Jennifer. I'll let him know. Maybe that will take some of the sting out. Smile Being as my dh and I only have associate degrees, we're totally clueless.

Glad to see you're still around. You were a big help in answering my questions, and I appreciated your input!

Two associates, one bachelors, and just when I thought we were done with college expense (because he hated school), he's going back after taking this semester off. I really hope he enjoys the program. Unfortunately, because it's music/ministry specific, only ~20 credits will transfer. Bah, humbug! Still if he's learning and enjoying the process, it will be worth it. I just wish the school wasn't 1200 miles away! He's not really looking forward to leaving but feels it's the next logical step.
a mom Wrote:Thanks, Jennifer. I'll let him know. Maybe that will take some of the sting out. Smile Being as my dh and I only have associate degrees, we're totally clueless.

Glad to see you're still around. You were a big help in answering my questions, and I appreciated your input!

Two associates, one bachelors, and just when I thought we were done with college expense (because he hated school), he's going back after taking this semester off. I really hope he enjoys the program. Unfortunately, because it's music/ministry specific, only ~20 credits will transfer. Bah, humbug! Still if he's learning and enjoying the process, it will be worth it. I just wish the school wasn't 1200 miles away! He's not really looking forward to leaving but feels it's the next logical step.
>>

Good luck to your son, and Merry Christmas!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,067 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,674 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018 stampbuyme 61 11,608 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  TESU CS catalog change homeschoolmom1 20 4,689 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU requiring more math now? Ideas 6 1,650 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Ideas
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,459 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,207 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Leading Change: LDR-345? eriehiker 10 2,121 01-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,371 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77