Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU/ACE/Microsoft Exams
I was searching ACE to see if any Microsoft Exams could be converted to college credit. To my surprise there are more than a few listed. It looks like some things are missing however. I don't see the Programming in C# Exam 70-483. I do see ASP.net MVC Exam 70-486 and ACE recommends it for 3 UL Computer Science credits. 

If someone wanted to get an MCSD or MCSE then it looks like they could pick up some college credit along the way. 

Does anyone have any idea what these would transfer into at TESU?

Software Development Fundamentals MTA Exam 98-361???

ASP.net 4.5 MVC Exam 70-386???
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
I would say that if you already had certs, or wanted certs, you'd be much better off at WGU than TESU. It's cheaper, they take more certs, and the degrees are more concentrated in the major vs gen eds (at TESU it's 50/50, at WGU it's more like 70/30). If I was a techie, WGU is the only way to go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour
(07-13-2018, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that if you already had certs, or wanted certs, you'd be much better off at WGU than TESU.  It's cheaper, they take more certs, and the degrees are more concentrated in the major vs gen eds (at TESU it's 50/50, at WGU it's more like 70/30).  If I was a techie, WGU is the only way to go.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I should research WGU. Do you know how much it might cost to do an Associate Degree with them? I was only going to do a few certs and still primarily get my credits with Straighterline. (side note/quick edit to anyone else reading this, I would purse the BOG Associate Degree but I don't have B&M credits. Speed of completion is now my top goal).

(07-13-2018, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that if you already had certs, or wanted certs, you'd be much better off at WGU than TESU.  It's cheaper, they take more certs, and the degrees are more concentrated in the major vs gen eds (at TESU it's 50/50, at WGU it's more like 70/30).  If I was a techie, WGU is the only way to go.

WGU looks like a good deal for a Bachelors Degree. I don't see any Associate Degrees listed on their website. My concern is that I will not be able to finish within 6 months then it will end up costing me more than TESU. I will take a further look at it.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(07-13-2018, 01:41 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

Thanks for the advice, maybe I should research WGU. Do you know how much it might cost to do an Associate Degree with them? I was only going to do a few certs and still primarily get my credits with Straighterline.

They do not offer Associates level degrees, just Bachelors and Masters. However you can transfer in many courses just like you can with TESU or the other big three, you just need to transfer them in before enrolling (no need to delay applying - and generally free to apply).  If you do this it is definitely possible to complete a bachelor in a single term (self-motivation and dedicated interest is key).  So although a more $ than the residency waiver that TESU has, you'd have a bachelor degree. They also have scholarships ($500 per term if you've taken 4 Straighterline courses in example), and you can use financial aid - such as Pell Grants if you're eligible. 

We've learned quite a bit during the last few years here on what can be transferred in and how what it they equate it to. I would suggest you look at their programs and post the one (or two) that would be of interest and I'm sure people could give you some guidance on transferring in as much as possible.  WGU is very affordable, and the key to keeping in the Big 3 $ range is completing the courses you cannot transfer in by doing so in one term (6 months).  There are quite a few threads on their programs here if you do a search as well, and you can gather information on the Reddit here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/ 

Here is the degree page link: https://www.wgu.edu/online-degree-programs.html

EDIT: Also if you have an interest in the IT field and want to stay with the TESU Associate degree option, you may want to consider the TESU ASNSM in Computer Science https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science - the CS requirements are readily available through the testing out options talked about here, and like the general studies degree you have listed in your signature (TESU Associate in Arts) it does not have a capstone.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • AwardTour
(07-13-2018, 02:00 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 01:41 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

Thanks for the advice, maybe I should research WGU. Do you know how much it might cost to do an Associate Degree with them? I was only going to do a few certs and still primarily get my credits with Straighterline.

They do not offer Associates level degrees, just Bachelors and Masters. However you can transfer in many courses just like you can with TESU or the other big three, you just need to transfer them in before enrolling (no need to delay applying - and generally free to apply).  If you do this it is definitely possible to complete a bachelor in a single term (self-motivation and dedicated interest is key).  So although a more $ than the residency waiver that TESU has, you'd have a bachelor degree. They also have scholarships ($500 per term if you've taken 4 Straighterline courses in example), and you can use financial aid - such as Pell Grants if you're eligible. 

We've learned quite a bit during the last few years here on what can be transferred in and how what it they equate it to. I would suggest you look at their programs and post the one (or two) that would be of interest and I'm sure people could give you some guidance on transferring in as much as possible.  WGU is very affordable, and the key to keeping in the Big 3 $ range is completing the courses you cannot transfer in by doing so in one term (6 months).  There are quite a few threads on their programs here if you do a search as well, and you can gather information on the Reddit here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/ 

Here is the degree page link: https://www.wgu.edu/online-degree-programs.html

EDIT: Also if you have an interest in the IT field and want to stay with the TESU Associate degree option, you may want to consider the TESU ASNSM in Computer Science https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science - the CS requirements are readily available through the testing out options talked about here, and like the general studies degree you have listed in your signature (TESU Associate in Arts) it does not have a capstone.
Thank you for your advice as well. For me personally, I see Straighterline as the fastest way to get the most credits. Many of the exams are open book and many of the classes can be passed without passing the final. I suppose if I change my mind I can enroll at WGU. With TESU I don't take the hit until I pay the residency waiver. At WGU I take the hit AND the clock starts ticking the moment I begin.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(07-13-2018, 02:37 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Thank you for your advice as well. For me personally, I see Straighterline as the fastest way to get the most credits. Many of the exams are open book and many of the classes can be passed without passing the final. I suppose if I change my mind I can enroll at WGU. With TESU I don't take the hit until I pay the residency waiver. At WGU I take the hit AND the clock starts ticking the moment I begin.

You can always plan out your degree with WGU using Straighterline (or another provider) and get it to the point where it's almost impossible to take more than 6 months to complete.  It would mean being strategic about what you take, applying and making sure everything counts exactly where you need it to, and then finishing with the minimum number of courses they will take.  But it's been done multiple times on this forum, both bachelor's and master's level degrees in multiple areas.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour
(07-13-2018, 04:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 02:37 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Thank you for your advice as well. For me personally, I see Straighterline as the fastest way to get the most credits. Many of the exams are open book and many of the classes can be passed without passing the final. I suppose if I change my mind I can enroll at WGU. With TESU I don't take the hit until I pay the residency waiver. At WGU I take the hit AND the clock starts ticking the moment I begin.

You can always plan out your degree with WGU using Straighterline (or another provider) and get it to the point where it's almost impossible to take more than 6 months to complete.  It would mean being strategic about what you take, applying and making sure everything counts exactly where you need it to, and then finishing with the minimum number of courses they will take.  But it's been done multiple times on this forum, both bachelor's and master's level degrees in multiple areas.

I like your advice (both here and in other posts). I need to spend some time to better understand WGU. For example, I have no idea what happens when you fail a class at WGU or how long you have to wait to get another chance? I would need to look into basic things like this to get a better understanding. With Straighterline I would only have to wait a few days or simply take the class elsewhere (Saylor or Study.com). I would also get to decide what is submitted or not submitted to my ACE transcript when I go the TESU route. Once you start taking classes at WGU there is nowhere to hide or control where credits go or don't go.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(07-13-2018, 11:53 AM)AwardTour Wrote: I was searching ACE to see if any Microsoft Exams could be converted to college credit. To my surprise there are more than a few listed. It looks like  some things are missing however. I don't see the Programming in C# Exam 70-483. I do see ASP.net MVC Exam 70-486 and ACE recommends it for 3 UL Computer Science credits. 

If someone wanted to get an MCSD or MCSE then it looks like they could pick up some college credit along the way. 

Does anyone have any idea what these would transfer into at TESU?

Software Development Fundamentals MTA Exam 98-361???

ASP.net 4.5 MVC Exam 70-386???

It seems these expired last year. Only word, excel and powerpoint exams for 2013 and 2016 are still valid.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-13-2018, 05:18 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I need to spend some time to better understand WGU. For example, I have no idea what happens when you fail a class at WGU or how long you have to wait to get another chance? I would need to look into basic things like this to get a better understanding. With Straighterline I would only have to wait a few days or simply take the class elsewhere (Saylor or Study.com). I would also get to decide what is submitted or not submitted to my ACE transcript when I go the TESU route. Once you start taking classes at WGU there is nowhere to hide or control where credits go or don't go.

Obviously, taking ACE courses is completely different than going to an actual college and taking courses there.  You will have this issue at some point at ANY school you go to.  You just cannot compare SL and a real school.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "control where credits go or don't go" as I would think that would only apply towards transferring in the credits you need for a program.  At some point (again, with any school), you are done figuring out where credits apply, and are just finishing up the courses required for the degree.  No more need to try to control anything.

For how WGU works, you might want to start a new thread and just ask your questions there.  Lots of people on here have done it, and can answer.
(07-13-2018, 08:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 05:18 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I need to spend some time to better understand WGU. For example, I have no idea what happens when you fail a class at WGU or how long you have to wait to get another chance? I would need to look into basic things like this to get a better understanding. With Straighterline I would only have to wait a few days or simply take the class elsewhere (Saylor or Study.com). I would also get to decide what is submitted or not submitted to my ACE transcript when I go the TESU route. Once you start taking classes at WGU there is nowhere to hide or control where credits go or don't go.

"You just cannot compare SL and a real school."
My only concern is what will give me credit leading to a degree. I am not concerned with perceptions on what a "real school" is leading up to that.

"At some point (again, with any school), you are done figuring out where credits apply, and are just finishing up the courses required for the degree.  No more need to try to control anything."
I disagree with you on your last sentence. If I am failing Statistics at Straighterline I could in theory take it at Saylor or Study.com and only submit to ACE a passing score from where ever I pass from. This is also analogous to taking a DSST after failing a CLEP. This gives me a form of control over what I submit after things have been mapped out. If I fail something at WGU then I suspect the consequences of that would be that of a "real school".

"For how WGU works, you might want to start a new thread and just ask your questions there.  Lots of people on here have done it, and can answer."
Fair enough, I was just trying to see if you thought that there were any advantages to WGU beyond it being cheaper than TESU with SL.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,280 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore