Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - ASNSM in Mathematics
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for your assistance here!

I'm an "adult learner" (makes me feel old) that never finished the degree previously. I'm enrolled at ECPI, starting classes this coming Monday for a mechanical engineering degree, and I'm hoping to concurrently earn what I started out for originally, which is a math degree. I'll take the ASNSM in place of the BS because time and money. I have so many credits from way back that I'm thinking I could probably get it rather quickly from TESU, but here's my questions I've not been able to find an answer to so far.

1) I have 45 credits from Florida Institute of Technology between everything, some of which is 20 year old technology courses that may not transfer
2) I have 10 credits from a community college near where I grew up in world history courses I took to try to get through my degree a little quicker
3) I am in process of 5 CLEP tests to transfer maximum amount of stuff into ECPI and am not averse to taking a lot more.

So I'm unable to determine what all counts toward the 16 math electives with TESU. Would physics? Or chemistry? Calc 1 is the main specified requirement for the degree, but can I take the precalc and/or college algebra CLEP tests as well and have that count?
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
"Calc 1 is the main specified requirement for the degree, but can I take the precalc and/or college algebra CLEP tests as well and have that count?"

Yes
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Any math class will work towards that requirement
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
According to the TESU / CLEP equivalency you could CLEP out all the math requirements for the ASNSM in Mathematics

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program  

Keep in mind that although the has no Capstone requirement - it does have the TESU required to take with them Cornerstone (SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy) and the residency waiver fee (currently $2800)

Do you have any of the UL math courses already that you'd need for a BA in Mathematics? Or a way to gain them through your ECPI program? if so maybe you can get that BA in Mathematics for just an added TESU Capstone (over the ASNSM) - https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics

What brought you to enrolling in ECPI for Mechanical Engineering vs enrolling somewhere else that offers a BA/BS in Mathematics?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

For the cost of the ASNSM you're better off doing the BA in Math. Currently with alt credit you can get:

CSM Learn
College Algebra
Precalc/Trig
Geometry
Calculus (6 cr)
Calc II
Discrete Math
Linear Algebra
Concepts in math and Quantative Literacy
Statistics

Plus Statistics.com has some courses that may be used for a math degree.

I was thinking of doing my degree in math from TESU as its very doable. You'll only need to do capstone; cornerstone, Calc III, History of math and one other UL math course from TESU.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-16-2019, 05:39 PM)allvia Wrote: According to the TESU / CLEP equivalency you could CLEP out all the math requirements for the ASNSM in Mathematics

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program  

Keep in mind that although the has no Capstone requirement - it does have the TESU required to take with them Cornerstone (SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy) and the residency waiver fee (currently $2800)

Do you have any of the UL math courses already that you'd need for a BA in Mathematics? Or a way to gain them through your ECPI program? if so maybe you can get that BA in Mathematics for just an added TESU Capstone (over the ASNSM) - https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics

What brought you to enrolling in ECPI for Mechanical Engineering vs enrolling somewhere else that offers a BA/BS in Mathematics?

It's been a very long road for me, and it's something I've wanted to do forever as well. I want that math degree, but I'm in kind of a messed up situation financially at the moment. I was part of a mass layoff from my former employer and took basically a $60k a year pay cut as a consequence. It was time. Now, I'm in an all or nothing state of mind.

(07-16-2019, 06:06 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: For the cost of the ASNSM you're better off doing the BA in Math. Currently with alt credit you can get:

CSM Learn
College Algebra
Precalc/Trig
Geometry
Calculus (6 cr)
Calc II
Discrete Math
Linear Algebra
Concepts in math and Quantative Literacy
Statistics

Plus Statistics.com has some courses that may be used for a math degree.

I was thinking of doing my degree in math from TESU as its very doable. You'll only need to do capstone; cornerstone, Calc III, History of math and one other UL math course from TESU.
I didn't think it was this doable. Maybe I will go for the BA instead. I'm a couple of months off from doing TESU, having realized that I should get through some of the things with ECPI first.  

My thoughts were AS Mechanical Engineering from ECPI,  concurrent with ASNSM math from TESU, and then take those into the BS for Electrical Engineering at Excelsior, so I have basically a mechatronics degree. It puts me into robotics and the EE focus of power generation, which is right where I want to be. I wad thinking 3 years, roughly, to get 2 AS and 1 BS.
-----
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
I think it's way too expensive to get an AA from TESU - totally not worth it. You're better off just getting a BA somewhere.

Also, the EC degree is in Electrical Engineering TECHNOLOGY, not Electrical Engineering. Big difference.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-17-2019, 04:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think it's way too expensive to get an AA from TESU - totally not worth it.  You're better off just getting a BA somewhere.

Also, the EC degree is in Electrical Engineering TECHNOLOGY, not Electrical Engineering.  Big difference.
For where I'm working and what I'm doing, not a big enough difference to matter much. I'm ok with that difference.
-----
(07-17-2019, 07:06 AM)dharmastudios Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 04:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think it's way too expensive to get an AA from TESU - totally not worth it.  You're better off just getting a BA somewhere.

Also, the EC degree is in Electrical Engineering TECHNOLOGY, not Electrical Engineering.  Big difference.
For where I'm working and what I'm doing, not a big enough difference to matter much. I'm ok with that difference.

I didn't say it wouldn't work for you, I'm just saying that you should call it what it is for clarification purposes.  Others will read this thread and think they can get an EE degree when that's not the case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hmm, interesting, just wondering why did you decide on TESU for your ASNSM and Excelsior for BS Electrical Engineering Technology? I would do the following, get all you can done with the ECPI Associates degree first. If you have spare time, work on all the ACE requirements for the ASNSM.

However, I would not do the Excelsior BSEET since you can get that at TESU for cheaper, I would recommend continuing onward with the BSEET by transferring everything into TESU. BTW, both EC/TESU have ABET accreditation if that was the reason you wanted the EC option.

Actually, I reviewed TESU website, program name is different. BS Electronics Systems Engineering Technology.
Link: https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/ele...technology
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 592 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,102 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,101 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,979 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,323 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,387 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,799 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 878 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 958 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack