Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Accounting Degree classes
I finally decided to take the plunge with TESU and go for an Accounting degree with them. One reason for this, apart from being quicker then the local State University, is that when its all said and done I will also get an Associate's degree in Electronics Studies due to my Navy Schooling. I would need to take 3 more units plus the Associate's capstone. 
I'm almost done with an Associate's in Business Administration through a local CC. I just need College Algebra and Statistics to get it. 
I'm thinking to take the 16 required units TESU so that I do't have to pay the residency waiver fee. My job is gong to pick up the tab up to $2,500 per year. I'm thinking about taking 6 units before the end of the year, six units next year and the rest the following year. I should be hopefully graduating sometime in 2021

I've also taken a lot of community college classes and I'm at 70 credits. I know TESU has a limit of 80 credits. 
I need to take 12 units through TESU (not including the capstone and cornerstone). I'm thinking about taking the Accounting classes through TESU but I also need to take some easier ones. I work full time and I'm a bit hesitant to take on too much.  My question is for anyone who has taken classes through TESU. How intense are they? 
My two Accounting classes were a bit intense, lots of homework and tough tests. I got a B and an A. Can anyone chime in?
I've attached a modified excel file that member dfrecore (thanks for that it has helped a lot) put together awhile back when I first inquired. I've put the classes that I've taken and some that I need after TESU did my academic evaluation. Thanks for any input.

Attached Files
.xlsx   rustydroid TESU BSBA Accounting.xlsx (Size: 36.95 KB / Downloads: 23)
So for the business core class none of them have to be UL they can be but they don't have to. Only the ones in the accounting AOS must be UL.

If you are looking to save money and time just take the following courses at TESU:

3 credits in electronics for electronics associate
3 credits associates capstone
3 credits sos-110 (which by the way counts for info lit requirement not a gen ed elective)
3 credits business capstone
4 to 6 additional credits at TESU to equal 16 (your choice could be accounting or something else if you'd like)

If I were you I'd transfer in the rest via CLEP, study.com and your CC. If you do this you won't have the pay residency wavier because you would have the 16 credit requirement met. If you wish to take more courses at TESU you can but you don't have to.

You could actually be done well before 2021 if you wanted to:
Before the end of the year: 6 credits (2 courses)
Jan-Mar: 6 credits (2 courses)
April-June: 6 credits (2 courses)
Graduate September 2020
You could even graduate in June 2020 if you started classes now.

Sorry I don't know anything about the accounting courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Rustydroid
I took Intermediate I as an OL course through TESU and it was tough. After that experience, I decided to take Intermediate II through a local community college. Got a better grade when I was in a classroom. Cheaper too. The rest of my accounting AOS credits were through portfolio evaluations, plus one TECEP (Individual Tax). Generally, I REALLY disliked the OL format at TESU. Maybe it's different now, as I graduated almost three years ago.

I looked at your Excel file. If you want to be a CPA, I recommend taking the AOS accounting courses in an actual class, not through Study.com or other providers like that. I just don't think those courses are rigorous enough to help with passing the CPA exams.

Best of luck!
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • Rustydroid
(06-10-2019, 12:39 AM)Rustydroid Wrote: I finally decided to take the plunge with TESU and go for an Accounting degree with them. One reason for this, apart from being quicker then the local State University, is that when its all said and done I will also get an Associate's degree in Electronics Studies due to my Navy Schooling. I would need to take 3 more units plus the Associate's capstone. 
I'm almost done with an Associate's in Business Administration through a local CC. I just need College Algebra and Statistics to get it. 
I'm thinking to take the 16 required units TESU so that I do't have to pay the residency waiver fee. My job is gong to pick up the tab up to $2,500 per year. I'm thinking about taking 6 units before the end of the year, six units next year and the rest the following year. I should be hopefully graduating sometime in 2021

I've also taken a lot of community college classes and I'm at 70 credits. I know TESU has a limit of 80 credits. 
I need to take 12 units through TESU (not including the capstone and cornerstone). I'm thinking about taking the Accounting classes through TESU but I also need to take some easier ones. I work full time and I'm a bit hesitant to take on too much.  My question is for anyone who has taken classes through TESU. How intense are they? 
My two Accounting classes were a bit intense, lots of homework and tough tests. I got a B and an A. Can anyone chime in?
I've attached a modified excel file that member dfrecore (thanks for that it has helped a lot) put together awhile back when I first inquired. I've put the classes that I've taken and some that I need after TESU did my academic evaluation. Thanks for any input.

I am working on a BSBA in Accounting as my second BSBA through TESU and have take Intermediate II, Auditing, and I am currently taking Cost Accounting.

Intermediate II sucked. There is a ton to learn and no professor to cut through the crap. If you take the course, invest in the Keiso Intermediate Accounting textbook to get another perspective on the information. There are also plenty of accounting videos on Youtube to help. The class is a bunch of work and TESU seems to be leaning heavy on problem sets and essay questions for the midterm and final.

Auditing is a ton of reading and much of it deals with contrived numbers that drove me nuts. There is a lot of faking it in the course when it comes to assuming systems within a business you know very little about. I hated this course and it probably required the most time. The information isn't complex, it is just tedious and the textbook is verbose. 

Cost Accounting uses a decent textbook, but the midterm was tough. I spend about 12 hours a week studying and had to skip two of the 5 essay questions. That is 30% off the top. I scored 25 out 35 for the multiple choice questions. As a reference, I used to spend one week reading a textbook in preparation for a CLEP and passed every attempt. 

Using the three Accounting courses I have taken at TESU as the example, I would say there are no easy accounting courses at TESU. If you choose to take them, be very careful about taking too many at once. Two courses and a full time job just about broke me.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Since you have employer contribution have you considered WGU? They offer BS in Accounting - https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html - depending when you start you could get $2500 towards your first term it in this calendar year, and then for the second term (if needed) during the next calendar year.  $2500 goes far at WGU - and they do have a system in place for course billing breakdown for employer reimbursement/payments.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I'm going to agree with allvia, if you are not active-duty, you may be better off at WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-16-2019, 07:17 PM)UptonSinclair Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 12:39 AM)Rustydroid Wrote: I finally decided to take the plunge with TESU and go for an Accounting degree with them. One reason for this, apart from being quicker then the local State University, is that when its all said and done I will also get an Associate's degree in Electronics Studies due to my Navy Schooling. I would need to take 3 more units plus the Associate's capstone. 

I am working on a BSBA in Accounting as my second BSBA through TESU and have take Intermediate II, Auditing, and I am currently taking Cost Accounting.

Intermediate II sucked. There is a ton to learn and no professor to cut through the crap. If you take the course, invest in the Keiso Intermediate Accounting textbook to get another perspective on the information. There are also plenty of accounting videos on Youtube to help. The class is a bunch of work and TESU seems to be leaning heavy on problem sets and essay questions for the midterm and final.

Auditing is a ton of reading and much of it deals with contrived numbers that drove me nuts. There is a lot of faking it in the course when it comes to assuming systems within a business you know very little about. I hated this course and it probably required the most time. The information isn't complex, it is just tedious and the textbook is verbose. 

Cost Accounting uses a decent textbook, but the midterm was tough. I spend about 12 hours a week studying and had to skip two of the 5 essay questions. That is 30% off the top. I scored 25 out 35 for the multiple choice questions. As a reference, I used to spend one week reading a textbook in preparation for a CLEP and passed every attempt. 

Using the three Accounting courses I have taken at TESU as the example, I would say there are no easy accounting courses at TESU. If you choose to take them, be very careful about taking too many at once. Two courses and a full time job just about broke me.

That sounds pretty tough. I can't believe that Accounting courses would require an essay. I've taken Financial and Managerial Accounting at my local community college and so far its been number crunching and remembering facts about accounting. They were tough courses I studied a lot and spent a lot of sleepless nights crunching for the tests. 
For the Final in Financial Accounting the professor gave us a bunch of numbers and we had to classify them as expenses, revenue and things like that and create financial statements at the end. The other part was multiple choice on Accounting terms and facts. 
I'm actually a pretty good writer I do well on essays, my English professor really liked my in class essays for the test so that may help. 
Thanks for the feedback.

(07-17-2019, 09:30 AM)allvia Wrote: Since you have employer contribution have you considered WGU? They offer BS in Accounting - https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html - depending when you start you could get $2500 towards your first term it in this calendar year, and then for the second term (if needed) during the next calendar year.  $2500 goes far at WGU - and they do have a system in place for course billing breakdown for employer reimbursement/payments.

I haven't quite looked at WGU. I have a coworker who is going and she said her tuition was like $6,000 for six months which scared me off. She is not done yet with her degree which is an easier degree in Business Administration. 
I'm starting to think that perhaps I should have taken that route. I really enjoyed my first two Accounting courses at my local Community college, out of all my classes those are the ones that have taught me the most about real world financial workings. I might look them up though I do seem to like how they run their classes. 
The thing with TESU is that once I'm done I'll have an Associate's in Electronics and BSBA in Accounting for around the same effort. My current field is in Electronics/Electrical field. I also already took the conerstone at TESU which makes me somewhat invested with them now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger