Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA Mathematics Area of Study Courses
Hi guys,

I'm finishing up my BA in Mathematics degree from TESU and was wondering where, besides TESU, I can take the more advanced math courses. On the TESU website they list a few options that will satisfy the criteria for my 15 credits of Mathematic Electives. I'm not sure about all the upper/lower level requirements for the degree.

TESU LIST:
Abstract Algebra
Advanced Calculus
Applied Mathematics
Calculus IV (Differential Equations)
Complex Variables
Cryptography and Cryptanalysis
Geometry (prerequisite of calculus or more advanced math)
Graph Theory
History of Mathematics
Mathematical Logic
Mathematical Modeling
Matrix Algebra
Modern Algebra
Multivariate Analysis
Non-Parametric Statistics
Number Theory
Projective Geometry
Sampling Theory
Topology

I'm also looking for more options to take Calculus III (Multivariate Calculus) and Linear Algebra (calculus-based) to satisfy those requirements for my area of study. 

Thanks for your assistance,
Manny.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Anon's post:
  • ed209uardo
Westcott Courses (aka Omega Math). They've got Calc 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra and Methods Of Proof in Mathematics. They used to have another UL course ( I think it was Number Theory) but that isn't showing on their website anymore. It might be something they still offer if you ask for it. All credit is awarded through Brandman University.
[-] The following 4 users Like Sapientes's post:
  • !=scholar, camjenks, Leedeedee, MNomadic
(12-04-2018, 10:55 PM)Sapientes Wrote: Westcott Courses (aka Omega Math). They've got Calc 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra and Methods Of Proof in Mathematics. They used to have another UL course ( I think it was Number Theory) but that isn't showing on their website anymore. It might be something they still offer if you ask for it. All credit is awarded through Brandman University.

Yep westcott seems to be the go-to for the majority of advanced math courses.
Also: http://www.nationalccrs.org/coopersmith-...antitative for a cheap UL math course
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
edX has (had) 3 UL Differential Equations courses that you could take - but they have to be taken live and I think they've only offered them twice, maybe in 2016 and 2017 or something like that. $49 each.

LSU has an UL probability course with Calc as it's prereq. $800

AMU/APU has 20 UL math courses. $810 each. And a graduate-level math course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-05-2018, 12:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote: edX has (had) 3 UL Differential Equations courses that you could take - but they have to be taken live and I think they've only offered them twice, maybe in 2016 and 2017 or something like that. $49 each.

LSU has an UL probability course with Calc as it's prereq. $800

AMU/APU has 20 UL math courses. $810 each. And a graduate-level math course.

Too bad edx isn't offering those differential equations courses anymore(for credit). I specifically emailed them about it and they didn't seem like they were going to offer them for credit any more.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thumbs Up 
Hey guys thanks for the great info it was very helpful. I also found some interesting things in your signatures too, so thanks. Love the community here.

I compiled the following table of courses from the info you guys mentioned and from TESU's course catalog. I took StraighterLine's Calc 1 and 2 for 4 credits each and now I'm just wondering if you guys had any insight into which of those courses would be the easiest and quickest. As a disclaimer, I don't know which of these courses are accepted for credit as TESU and I don't know if there's any duplicate courses either. I'm trying to finish this degree so I can Apply to a B&M college for furthering my education and I know the deadline is around April to apply with an undergraduate degree.

I hope this table can help others too.

+--------------+------------------------------------------------------+-------------+-----+
|  COURSE ID   |                        COURSE                        |   SOURCE    | LVL |
+--------------+------------------------------------------------------+-------------+-----+
| MATH200      | Discrete Mathematics                                 | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH210      | Linear Algebra                                       | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH220      | Calculus III                                         | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH227      | Data Analysis and Presentation                       | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH239      | Differential Equations                               | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH240      | Statistics                                           | APU/AMU     | L   |
| MATH302      | Real Analysis                                        | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH305      | Mathematical Modeling                                | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH320      | Linear Regression I                                  | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH325      | Probability Theory with Applications                 | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH328      | Linear Optimization                                  | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH330      | Non Parametric Statistics                            | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH335      | Multivariate Statistics                              | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH340      | Mathematics History and Development                  | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH360      | Inventory Models and Systems                         | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH375      | Design of Experiments                                | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH410      | Graph Theory                                         | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH412      | Operational Simulation                               | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH415      | Topology                                             | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH418      | Set Theory                                           | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH419      | Linear Regression II                                 | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH431      | Stochastic Processes                                 | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH440      | Principles of Applied Mathematics                    | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH460      | Measurement Theory                                   | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH470      | Senior Seminar in Mathematics                        | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATH499      | Plane Geometry                                       | APU/AMU     | U   |
| MATU 098     | Discrete Structures                                  | Wescott     | L   |
| MATU 251     | Calculus 3                                           | Wescott     | L   |
| MATU 117     | Linear Algebra                                       | Wescott     | L   |
| MATU 211     | Methods of Proof in Mathematics                      | Wescott     | L   |
| MATU 220     | Abstract Algebra                                     | Wescott     | L   |
| MATU 310     | Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis           | Wescott     | U   |
| MAT-301      | Into to Geometry                                     | Coopersmith | U   |
| Geometry 101 | Geometry 101: Into to Geometry                       | Study.com   | L   |
| Math 108     | Discrete Mathematics                                 | Study.com   | L   |
| MATH 1029    | Introduction to Contemporary Mathematics             | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 1431    | Calculus with Business and Economic Applications     | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 1550    | Analytic Geometry and Calculus I                     | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 1552    | Analytic Geometry and Calculus II                    | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 2057    | Multidimensional Calculus                            | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 2085    | Linear Algebra                                       | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 2090    | Elementary Differential Equations and Linear Algebra | LSU         | L   |
| MATH 3355    | Probability                                          | LSU         | U   |
| MAT-105      | Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics                     | TESU        | L   |
| MAT-119      | Quantitative Business Analysis                       | TESU        | L   |
| MAT-270      | Discrete Mathematics                                 | TESU        | L   |
| MAT-301      | History of Mathematics                               | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-321      | Linear Algebra                                       | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-331      | Calculus III                                         | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-332      | Calculus IV                                          | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-351      | Mathematical Modeling                                | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-361      | College Geometry                                     | TESU        | U   |
| MAT-401      | Mathematical Logic                                   | TESU        | U   |
  • bluebooger
The following is a list of what I've done so far towards my degree. The courses on the right are what I've completed. The only section I have left is my area of study.

+---------------------------------------------------------------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------+
|                          REQUIREMENTS                         | CR  | SRC  |                    COURSE            
+---------------------------------------------------------------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------+
| I. General Education Requirements                             |  60 |
|     A. Intellectual and Practical Skills                      |  15 |
|         English Composition I                                 |   3 | SL   | English Composition I                         |
|         English Composition II                                |   3 | SL   | English Composition II                        |
|         Oral Communication                                    |   3 | SL   | Intro to Communication                        |
|         Quantitative Literacy                                 |   3 | ALKS | Precalculus                                   |
|         Information Literacy                                  |   3 | CLEP | Analyz. & Int. Literature (A)                 |
|     B. Civic and Global Learning                              |   9 |
|         Diversity                                             |   3 | SL   | Cultural Anthropology                         |
|         Ethics                                                |   3 | SL   | Business Ethics                               |
|         Civic Engagement                                      |   3 | SL   | American Government                           |
|     C. Humanities/Social Sciences                             |  12 | 
|         Humanities/Social Sciences                            |   3 | CLEP | Analyz. & Int. Literature (B)                 |
|         Humanities/Social Sciences                            |   3 | SL   | Macroeconomics                                |
|         Humanities/Social Sciences                            |   3 | SL   | Western Civilization                          |
|         Humanities/Social Sciences                            |   3 | SL   | US History I                                  |
|     D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World           |   4 |
|         Understanding the Physical and Natural World          |   4 | SL   | Introduction to C++ Programming               |
|     E. General Education Electives                            |  20 |
|         Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies             |   1 | TESU | Cornerstone                                   |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | ALKS | College Algebra with Trigonometry             |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | ALKS | Intermediate Algebra                          |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | CLEP | Information Systems and Computer Applications |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | CLEP | Human Growth and Development                  |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | SL   | Organizational Behavior                       |
|         General Education Electives                           |   3 | SL   | Environmental Science                         |
|         General Education Electives                           |   1 | SL   | Sociology (A)                                 |
| II. Area of Study: Mathematics                                |  33 |
|     A. Required Courses                                       |  15 |
|         Calculus I (Differential Calculus)                    |   3 | SL   | General Calculus I (A)                        |
|         Calculus II (Integral Calculus)                       |   3 | SL   | General Calculus II (A)                       |
|         Calculus III (Multivariate Calculus)                  |   3 |
|         Linear Algebra (calc-based)(prereq. of calc in desc.) |   3 |
|         Probability/Statistics                                |   3 | ALKS | Intro Stats for Behavioral Sciences           |
|     B. Capstone                                               |   3 |
| LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone                                 |   3 | TESU | Capstone                                      |
|     C. Mathematics Electives                                  |  15 |
|         Mathematics Electives                                 |   1 | SL   | General Calculus I (B)                        |
|         Mathematics Electives                                 |   1 | SL   | General Calculus II (B)                       |
|                                                               |
|     D. Requirements                                           |
|         Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College    |
|         are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or |
|         400. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400   |
|         are required.                                         |
|                                                               |
| III. Free Electives                                           |  27 |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | SL   | Sociology (B)                                 |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | TEEX | Cyber Security for Business Professionals     |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | TEEX | Cyber Security for Everyone                   |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | TEEX | Cyber Security for IT Professionals           |
|         Free Electives                                        |   1 | SPH  | Developing Effective Teams                    |
|         Free Electives                                        |   1 | SPH  | Essentials of Managing Conflicts              |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | INST | Ethics                                        |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | CPR  | Microsoft Excel                               |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | CPR  | Microsoft Word                                |
|         Free Electives                                        |   2 | CPR  | Microsoft Power Point                         |
|         Free Electives                                        |   3 | CPR  | Other                                         |
|         Free Electives                                        |   3 | CPR  | Other                                         |
|         Free Electives                                        |   0 | ALKS | Trigonometry (duplicate)                      |
|         Free Electives                                        |   0 | ALKS | College Algebra (duplicate)                   |

(12-04-2018, 10:55 PM)Sapientes Wrote: Westcott Courses (aka Omega Math). They've got Calc 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra and Methods Of Proof in Mathematics. They used to have another UL course ( I think it was Number Theory) but that isn't showing on their website anymore. It might be something they still offer if you ask for it. All credit is awarded through Brandman University.

Any way to know which are considered UL?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-06-2018, 04:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Any way to know which are considered UL?

I spoke with a TESU advisor and he said any course ID starting with 3 or above (e.g. MAT 315) will transfer as UL.
  • camjenks
That's a nice table, I have the same courses listed on my spreadsheet as well for options. I can't think of what to take though.
There's too many to select from, but at a cost perspective, I think I'll go for the cheapest ones first, instead of easy/fast.

Here's the 2, I have decided to take online and taking 3 at the local university (if I can't find cheaper options)
1) Coppersmith - Concepts in Math and Quantitative Analysis
2) Westcott - Abstract Algebra, It's their only UL option https://www.brandman.edu/westcott

OP - There's one thing to note, you haven't taken anything from Study.com yet, you need to take at least two courses to get your money's worth otherwise you lose out on the discounts on the Capstone/Residency Waiver. Now, my question to you is, are you taking courses at TESU? If so, how many?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 771 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 237 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 366 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 208 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch