Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BALS Degree Plan Help
Good Evening,

Long time listener, first time caller here.

I am interested in pursuing a Bachelor's degree to check a box and move on to an MBA.  I currently have an AAS in Aviation Maintenance Technology, and a whole lot of credits floating around.  I considered the BSBA at TESU, but would gain an additional 21 credits applied if I follow the BALS track.

I've attached an incomplete Degree Plan I modified from a BSBA plan created by a member here, and ask for help filling in the blanks with the fastest way forward to complete the degree.

In addition, two of the MBA programs I'm considering have the following pre-requisite business classes:

WSU
  • Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting (Acctg 550) – 3 credits 
  • Data Analysis for Managers (BA 500) – 2 credits 
  • Foundations in Marketing (BA 501) – 2 credits Foundations in Operations Management (BA 502) – 2 credits 
  • Foundations of Business Law (BA 503) – 2 credits 
  • Foundations in Finance (BA 504) – 2 credits 
  • Managerial Economics (Econs 555) – 3 credits 
Whitworth
  • accounting
  • microeconomics
  • macroeconomics
  • marketing
  • statistics
  • finance
Is there anyway to integrate some of the pre-requisites listed above into the remaining courses for the BALS degree, or would I be better off taking the 21 credit loss and get the BSBA with the MBA in mind?

Regards,

Jon

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BALS TEMPLATE.xlsx (Size: 54.56 KB / Downloads: 33)
So, are you a service person - Airforce or did you just take those at the CC? It seems you have access to TESU OSS, can you create two academic evaluations? Just copy/paste the evaluation into a reply and I'll take a look at it. The first evaluation is BS Tech Studies and the other is the BS Aviation Maintenace Technology. The reason is to see if we can salvage all those hard-earned credits, it's a waste of all those credits if it's not used!

You're in my neck of the woods, Pacific North West, I would recommend WSU over Whitworth as WSU has AACSB accreditation and Whitworth doesn't seem to have anything but RA. If that is the case, WSU wins hands down. In fact, I would recommend WGU Washington instead of either... it's got RA and ACBSP accreditation for their Business programs. We can discuss that later...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi bjcheung,

Yes, I am a Navy veteran - been out about a decade. Most of the credits came from Airframe and Powerplant school, with some miscellaneous things thrown in when I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I looked into the AMT BS, but there are three labs associated with the degree, and I was uncertain about online completion methods.

BS AMT Eval gives me the following error, which is odd as I had no trouble with it last year:
Error
This program is not associated with any catalogs for which your institution permits program evaluations over the Web.

BS Tech Studies:

1: BS General Education Distribution (60SH) (In progress)
SH Earned: 28.31 Complete all 6 subrequirements:

A: IntellecSkills 15 SH (In progress)
For TESU course options, go to Intellectual and Practical Skills Course s

SH Earned: 6.66

ENC-101 3 SH *must earn a grade of C/CR or better (Complete)
English Composition I
Source Course Title Term Grade SH TESU # Notes
4 ENGL&101D English Composition I 05/15/11 C+ 3.33 ENC-101
*CC *TE
ENC-102 3 SH *must earn a grade of C/CR or better (Not started)
English Composition II
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
3 credits needed
Oral Communication 3 SH (Complete)
4 CMST&220 Public Speaking 05/15/11 B- 3.33 COM-209
*CC *TE
MAT-121 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH (Not started)
College Algebra (or above)
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
3 credits needed
Information Literacy 3 SH (Not started)
3 credits needed
B: Civic Learning 9 SH (Not started)
For TESU course options, go to Civic and Global Leadership Courses< /a>

SH Earned: 0

Diversity 3 SH (Not started)
3 credits needed
Ethics 3 SH (Not started)
3 credits needed
Civic Engagement 3 SH (Not started)
3 credits needed
C: Human Cultures 9 SH (Complete)
For TESU course options, go to Knowledge of Human Cultures Courses
Humanities and/or Social Sciences
SH Earned: 9.99
4 ART115 Drawing I 08/15/11 A 3.33 ART-101
*CC *TE
4 MUSC&105 Music Appreciation 12/15/10 C 3.33 MUS-100
*CC *TE
4 POLS&200 Introduction to Law 01/15/11 C 3.33 POS-299
*CC *TE
D: Natural World 8 SH (Not started)
For TESU course options, go to Chemistry and Physics Courses

General Chemistry with Lab and/or General Physics with Lab (DEGREE REQUIRMENT)

Choose two of the following :

CHE-121 4 SH, CHE-122 4 SH, PHY-115 4 SH, PHY-116 4 SH
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
2 credits needed
E: Mathematics 3 SH (Not started)
For TESU course options, go to Higher Level Math Courses
Higher Level Mathematics (DEGREE REQUIREMENT)
3 credits needed
F: GE Electives 16 SH (In progress)
For TESU course options, go to TES-100 Corne rstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies Course

and General Education Elective Courses

SH Earned: 11.66

TES-100 1 SH (Not started)
Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies
1 credit needed
STA-201 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH (Not started)
Principles of Statistics
3 credits needed
Computer Concepts (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH (Complete)
4 CL101 Computer Literacy 01/15/11 B+ 3.33 COS-101
*CC *TE
General Education Electives 9 SH (In progress)
SH Earned: 8.33
Required: 9
Remaining: 0.67
2 MATH107 Intermediate Algebra 12/01/16 B 3.00 MAT-115
*TE
1 MAT-101 Technical Mathematics I 06/20/12 CR 2.00 MAT-101
*NE
4 CMST&210 Interpersonal Comm 12/15/10 A 3.33 COM-230
*CC *TE
0.67 credits needed

2: Technical Studies (21SH) (Complete)
SH Earned: 21 GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000 Complete 1 of 11 subrequirements:

D: Aviation 21 SH (Complete)
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
For TESU and other course options, please contact an Advisor

A total of 18 Area of Study credits must be from 300/400 level courses (6 of these cred its are satisfied with the Technical Core requirement).
SH Earned: 21
1 AVM-333 Avionics II 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-333
*NE
1 AVM-322 Powerplants, Piston 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-322
*NE
1 AVM-321 Powerplants, Gas Turbine 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-321
*NE
1 AVM-311 Airframe Systems, Advanced 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-311
*NE
1 AVM-151 Assembly and Rigging 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-151
*NE
1 AVM-113 Ground Operations & Servicing 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-113
*NE
1 AVM-112 Cabin Control 06/20/12 CR 3.00 AVM-112
*NE

3: Technical Studies (18SH) (Complete)
GPA Achieved/Needed: 4.000 / 2.000

*must earn grades of C/CR or better
Topics include any discipline in Applied Science and Technology

For TESU and othe r course options, please contact an Advisor

A total of 1 8 Area of Study credits must be from 300/400 level courses (6 of these credits are satisfied with the Technical Core requirement).
SH Earned: 18
2 CIT151 Basic Computer Skills II 12/01/16 A 3.00 CIS-101
*TE
1 TEC-131 Welding Technology I 06/20/12 CR 3.00 TEC-131
*NE
1 ELE-211 DC Circuits 06/20/12 CR 3.00 ELE-211
*NE
3 CAP-101 Microcomputer Software Applns 07/01/08 CR 3.00 CAP-101
*NE
3 AVM-242 Pneumatics & Hydraulics II 06/16/07 CR 3.00 AVM-242
*NE
3 AVM-241 Pneumatics & Hydraulics 06/16/07 CR 3.00 AVM-241
*NE

4: Technical Core (6SH upper level) (Not started)
SH Earned: 0 Complete both subrequirements:

A: Current Trends 3 SH (Not started)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to APS-401 Current Trends and Applications

This Capstone course must be taken at Thomas Edison State University or via an approved Thomas Edison State University Academic Program Review.
3 credits needed
B: Project Mngt 3 SH (Not started)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to MAN-435 Project Management
3 credits needed

5: Electives (15SH) (Complete)

For TESU course options, go to Elective Courses
SH Earned: 16.34
2 UNIV101 Success Skill College & Career 08/01/15 A 3.00 FEL-101
*TE
4 AVAP104 Powerplant Technology 08/15/10 A 6.67 AVM-227
*CC *TE
4 AVA103 Powerplant Technology 05/15/10 A 6.67 AVM-226
*CC *TE

Thank you for the help!

-Jon
Hello Again, I have homework for you. Please do the following and answer the questions below.
1) View and download this spreadsheet template, update it with what you have in your evaluation and what's missing.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-Plan?
2) Get another evaluation, but this time for the BSBA General Management - do the same thing as step 1.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid262619

2) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?
B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?
C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?
D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all?

3) For the amount of work you put in and the price you're paying, would you want to get a BS Tech Studies, a BSBA or both?
BSBA & BS Tech Studies - Two Bachelor Degree Costs
TESU Application fee: $75
Residency Wavier fee - Study.com discount: $1800 (Regular $2500)
TESU Capstone - Study.com discount: $1098 (Regular $1500)
Cornerstone Waiver with Study.com Affiliation - Save $300
Graduation fee: $332
TESU Total: $3305 ($1098 for Extra Capstone=$4403)
Note: These are just the TESU fees, you still need to "take" the course at another provider and transfer them in!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank You bjchueng77,

I'll do a two-parter (*Edit: looks like the forum combined my posts).  Below are my answers to your questions, and I will take care of items 1 and 2 shortly in a second post.

2) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?

I am in Spokane, WA and have three CLEP testing centers within 5 miles of my house.

B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?

I work full time, but I am excellent at learning/retaining information.  I would be fine with testing at a site or testing online – no preference

C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?

No preference on price range – I am blessed to have a well-paying job, and would err on the fast, then easy side of things, in that order

D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all?

Fast, Easy, Cheap in that order – Fast being the primary driver.  All I need to do is check a box with the bachelor’s degree

3) For the amount of work you put in and the price you're paying, would you want to get a BS Tech Studies, a BSBA or both?

I am open to either, at this point.  What I want to try to avoid is having to take additional classes to be accepted to an MBA program down the road.  The more I can integrate common MBA pre-requisites into the degree, the better, in my mind.  However, ya’ll are the experts in this, and I value your input on the topic. 
Some more background on myself is I have 12 years work experience in the aviation field (not total), and am currently operating at a Director level in a medium/small company.  The company will likely be sold to the next capital group in the next 12 months, so I feel I need to “get the paper” both for retention, and job-seeking if I decide to transition.

I have had the TESU application fee waived due to veteran status, and have been accepted for admission at TESU.

Did the Study.com fee discounts not expire the end of June?

Thank You,
Jon

Hi bjchueng77,

I have attached the two dfrecore spreadsheets from the threads you linked.

Thanks Again,
Jon

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BS in TechStudies.xlsx (Size: 60.04 KB / Downloads: 11)
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 49.04 KB / Downloads: 6)
My .02 is that I would get the BS Tech Studies since you already know you're going the MBA route.  I think the BS Tech Studies with a MBA on a resume stands out better than a BSBA and a MBA.  Shows more diversity in skills and knowledge - plus I just quickly looked at your spreadsheets and you look much closer to the BS Tech Studies (and it looks like there are UL courses that could be moved up to the AOS listed under "OTHER").  

Also, on the BS Tech Studies you show Chem/Physics I w/Lab & Chem/Physics II w/Lab in the completed column but don't show the where, so if these are indeed already met (& you just forgot to list the where taken) that is a big plus for you - many here started out with the BS Tech Studies as an option but lacked a quick, easy or cheap way to fill that 2nd requirement (so many end up having BIO/Lab sciences vs the Chem or Physics to transfer in - I admit I was one of them).

While you're waiting for other feedback you can knock out your College Algebra and Statistics quick and cheap ($20, really! Done as quickly as your personal math ability can 'calculate) through ALEKS.com - whichever Bachelor route you go, both the plans you listed require them. You can search here for more details on ALEKS if you need it (it is a pretty common thread topic)

Oh yes, and I agree with bjchueng77 on the WGU MBA recommendation as well.

EDIT: and you can get your Ethics requirements knocked out for Free (& quick): find info here https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Institutes
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

allvia, 

well... whoops.  No, my labs are not complete (updated spreadsheet attached).  That column snuck by me. Any online options, or am I looking at a local CC for these?

I thought I had read I missed out on the Aleks math train, as their ACE approval lapsed.  Is it an option again?

WGU is definately on the option list, as I still have a couple months left of GI Bill, which I understand they will extend to cover one 6 month WGU semester.

Hmm... Looks like the ALEKS courses are good through the end of the month - I could have sworn those had expired. I will jump on those first. Thank you!

Credit Type: Course
ACE Course Number: 0003
Organization: ALEKS Corporation (McGraw Hill)
Location: ALEKS Corporation (McGraw Hill); Northern Kentucky University
Length: 6 -- 18 weeks (60 hours)
Dates Offered: 12/1/2013 - 7/31/2018

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BS in TechStudies.xlsx (Size: 62.19 KB / Downloads: 1)
(07-03-2018, 02:48 PM)Airframer Wrote: allvia, 

well... whoops.  No, my labs are not complete (updated spreadsheet attached).  That column snuck by me. Any online options, or am I looking at a local CC for these?

I thought I had read I missed out on the Aleks math train, as their ACE approval lapsed.  Is it an option again?

WGU is definately on the option list, as I still have a couple months left of GI Bill, which I understand they will extend to cover one 6 month WGU semester.

ALEKS is back - at least until the end of this month (set to expire again 7/31/18) - Recent thread on subject https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ere-please

Not sure if you saw my edit on Ethics from above: Ethics for Free - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Institutes

There are online options for Level I - Level II has been tough - CC is only option low cost for the II w/lab, but someone very recently posted that they said they were able to bring in Chem I w/Lab and then Physics I w/Lab to meet the requirement. This was a new change - I'm not sure who it was, I'll try to do some digging to find the post.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thanks Again allvia!

I just signed up for ALEKS and will look to knock out the college algebra and statistics this month, and plan to move forward with the free ethics course before its expiration this month, as well. It's great to have something I can take action on NOW, as I have been making excuses for the last year since I got my AAS completed.

I will inquire about the labs you mention when I call for the cornerstone waiver.
Hi. The cornerstone waiver only works if you are a Study.com (or another) Affiliate or have 104 credits to transfer over. The easiest way to get this done is to complete at least one month (2 courses) with Study.com or more courses at $70/month per extra exam during that monthly subscription.

Here's what it says about my Waiver - !! Exception The TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies course is not required for you as an individual degree requirement because you meet the established waiver criteria; you are a corporate choice partner student, or have 104 or more credits at application. You may still wish to take this course, which will fulfill 1 semester hour of general education elective requirement.

I have a coupon code. Basically, anyone who is currently using Study.com can generate a coupon code. It is one-time use for new subscribers. If you already have an account, then it will not work. The coupon is 20% off the first month only. If you need another coupon code, the only option is to start another account, the only drawback is, if you are taking similar courses, there will be no overlap, so you can't "finish" the classes faster. Private message me your email and I'll send you a referral, we get $10/off our subscription for the referral.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,452 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 770 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az