Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU BALS and Questions
I've made a new degree plan going with the TESU BALS degree.  I would love some feedback on it if you feel so inclined.  I did a lot of Study.com courses as they seemed like they would be the cheapest - especially if I got the scholarship and/or could take more than 2 courses per month.  (Outside of Saylor, that is.)  On several courses I have some options listed - if you have an idea which would be easier or better for the slot, please let me know!  There were 2 Sophia courses I was very interested in taking.  I saw that if you bought 3, you got them for half off so that's why there's 3 listed on top of the 2 free ones.  I have a couple extra credits in the UL/LL Liberal Studies area and the Free Electives.  I wasn't quite sure I got everything in the exact right spot and I wanted to have options to move around just in case.  Anyway, that's the reasoning behind it all.  Please let me know what you think and if there's a different way I should approach this!

I had a couple questions as well -
1. I have 12 CLEP credits that I earned 10 years ago.  I wanted to make sure I could still use those and not have to re-take them.  I didn't see anything to the contrary but I wanted to verify.
2. I saw there was a free ethics course but the subject doesn't at all interest me.  Is it an easy free credit and I should just do it?  Or should I do something else for sanity's sake?
3. If I have all the courses sorted out correctly, then it appears that I'm 3 credits shy of a Humanities concentration.  Is there something I can move around so I can get that?  If not, it's not a big deal.  I just thought I would ask.

Thanks for the help!

.xlsx   Emily TESU 2018 BALS.xlsx (Size: 46.43 KB / Downloads: 50)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • Dacowta
1. CLEP credits are good for 20 years. You can transfer them in and be good to go.

2. The ethics course lets you take the exam as many times as you need to. I do suggest reading at least the first two or three sections to get the gist of what they're talking about. Most of it is just common sense, though. I could not focus on the sections past the first couple (because I'm not interested either), took the test anyway, and passed with a 72% on the first try. But there is some stuff about things like "Section 3.1 of the code of ethics says you should...". Just make sure to read each question thoroughly and you can usually eliminate at least two of the answers right off the bat.
I haven't done the free Ethics course, but I can tell you that the other choices are not easy at all. I did the Environmental Ethics TECEP and used the Saylor course for study. It was a bear, which is no surprise considering it's an UL philosophy course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you! I'll definitely plan on taking the free ethics course then.
For the free Ethics course, you can always open the reading material in a different tab; or if you want to read all the material, just read the review notes (there are 47 pages, but it isn't much at all). Personally, there is way too much repetition in the modules, so skip those if you understand the review notes just fine.
[-] The following 2 users Like MooSaysCow's post:
  • Muldoon, rachel83az
(03-22-2018, 04:04 PM)MooSaysCow Wrote: For the free Ethics course, you can always open the reading material in a different tab; or if you want to read all the material, just read the review notes (there are 47 pages, but it isn't much at all). Personally, there is way too much repetition in the modules, so skip those if you understand the review notes just fine.

Awesome!  I really appreciate the help!  Smile  How long would it take to do this course?  I'm hoping to start working on my degree plan in April and thought I'd ease into it with some of the free and easier courses first.
A few hours.

I finished the Ethics course in a few hours. It's not hard, just tedious due to the number of questions specific to their insurance rules (like questions about which Code of Conduct would apply to a specific situation). Just remember, as mentioned above, that you can leave the modules or guide open in another tab and then switch over to look up the correct answer.

Also, that course is only 2 credits, not 3, so be aware you might need to make up one extra credit somewhere else. But hey, free credits, can't beat that.
It took me 3 or 4 hours on one day to get through the first couple modules because they're just not that interesting.

The next day, I realized that I could retake the exam without penalty. That took two or three hours. There's no time limit, either, and I didn't want to have to retake the thing so I kept re-reading the questions.
(03-22-2018, 10:04 PM)Muldoon Wrote: I finished the Ethics course in a few hours. It's not hard, just tedious due to the number of questions specific to their insurance rules (like questions about which Code of Conduct would apply to a specific situation). Just remember, as mentioned above, that you can leave the modules or guide open in another tab and then switch over to look up the correct answer.

Also, that course is only 2 credits, not 3, so be aware you might need to make up one extra credit somewhere else. But hey, free credits, can't beat that.

Thanks y'all! That's very helpful.

Also, would anyone be willing to look at my degree plan and let me know if I have everything in the correct places? I gave it my best shot according to my current knowledge, but I don't know if I placed everything in the correct categories. I understand that things can change and courses sometimes get re-categorized. I just want to get as much in place as I can now so I can work on a plan to start tackling this degree and hopefully get done this year!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore