Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BS Professional Studies Questions
Looking at the TESU BS in Professional Studies:

Some courses in their "II. Professional Studies Requirements" are the same as in the "III.A. Professional Undergraduate Certificate (Marketing)" courses. Can those courses apply to both sections?

Also, if I choose to pass on the "III.A. Professional Undergraduate Certificate (Marketing)" courses, and opt for 18 credits in the "III.B. Supportive Professional Studies Courses", am I able to choose other courses that aren't listed, as long as they are relevant to the categories listed?

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
At TESU, you cannot "double dip" meaning you can't use a course to apply to more than 1 area. The is one degree where you're going to have to plan the whole thing out, because it's a tricky one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-04-2020, 02:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: At TESU, you cannot "double dip" meaning you can't use a course to apply to more than 1 area.  The is one degree where you're going to have to plan the whole thing out, because it's a tricky one.

Yeah, tricky.

Okay, not within the same degree. On the other hand, Principles of Selling, and Digital marketing are in my BSBA AOS electives. But they are required in the BS Prof Studies Marketing Cert. Can I use them in both places, as long as 24 credits differ between the degrees?

I need 15 UL credits + capstone in BSBA? If so, I can sub LL e-commerce there.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
question. Why get a BSBA and BS Professional Studies/marketing?

You will need to complete TWO capstones. Why don't you just get a BSBA with a dual AOS, Marketing & Entrepreneurship and it only requires one capstone?
A few reasons, I guess. First, I have a hard time choosing between entrepreneurship, marketing, and communication. The second degree allows me to take more classes that look very useful and informative to me. Second, pursuing the second degree allows me to take some TESU courses, which after FAFSA, should make it cheaper than getting one degree and paying the residency waiver. (I could just take TESU courses in the first one, but I already have it packed with other relevant credits). 

I won't pursue business at the Master's level, as I think it's unnecessary for a sole-proprietor of a small business outside of corporate America. So I figure now is the time to load up on these kinds of courses.

I can guess that the capstone is hard work. So I'm not trying to minimize it by asking this. But what's so hard about a capstone? Can you clarify why two of them would be a daunting prospect?
Working towards:
Just an FYI, you can transfer up to 90 credits from your first degree to the second degree - basically the 60 general education and the free electives, etc. If for some reason you have 9 credits that overlap in the AOS of both degrees, you can transfer them too. So, that leaves you with 21 credits difference. I'm suggesting NOT to go for a BSPS, too close/redundant in subjects.

The capstones will be two different courses you will take, I assume you need the cornerstone as well. You will just need to take 12 more credits to get your second degree, I suggest paying 9 credits at TESU and getting another UL course from Study.com and your residency waiver is not needed... Total tuition spent at TESU, 18 x 379 = $6822 for 2 degrees.

I would rather you go for something like the BSBA Entrepreneurship & Marketing, you can add a cert or two, maybe three to it if you have the time, it's all up to you what those extra certs are and if you have the extra energy/money/time to spend on it. But instead of going for a BSPS, go for a BA Communications as it's your first choice, use the 9 credits for the courses you can't transfer in! Voila, ta-da, done!

Lastly, if that's not it - You may want to go for a BALS-Humanities as you can have the UL using Communication courses that hit your fancy button! Or, if you're really into going slow and wanting to learn more, you can go for the BA Communications with a BA LS-Humanities, LS-Pyschology or LS-Social Sciences double area of study - whatever hits your fancy!

I think it's a pretty good deal for two degrees - essentially, the only tuition fees from TESU add up to - $6822, for a BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing dual AOS and a BA Communications/Liberal Arts Studies (your pick of concentration). It's in your court, I think you should decide and my recommendation again, skip the BSPS, get the BA Comm.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SCYankee
(03-04-2020, 10:05 PM)SCYankee Wrote: I can guess that the capstone is hard work. So I'm not trying to minimize it by asking this. But what's so hard about a capstone? Can you clarify why two of them would be a daunting prospect?

A while back I wrote a comparison of the TESU BSBA capstone vs the entire WGU MBA program. Bottom-line. The one TESU capstone course in writing requirements and time spent was 3/4 of the entire WGU MBA program (11 courses). I can't imagine attempting to take two capstones during the same three month term.

FAFSA. You must take Two courses during the same beginning and ending term (3 months), this is considered part-time according to TESU and FAFSA. You won't receive additional TESU COA (cost of attendance) if you take more than 2 courses per term. You will receive more pell grant funds (if you qualify), however, the expenses of taking more than 2 courses will cause you to lose any gains from additional pell grant funding (i.e. TESU course cost ).
(03-05-2020, 01:57 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would rather you go for something like the BSBA Entrepreneurship & Marketing, you can add a cert or two, maybe three to it if you have the time, it's all up to you what those extra certs are and if you have the extra energy/money/time to spend on it.  But instead of going for a BSPS, go for a BA Communications as it's your first choice, use the 9 credits for the courses you can't transfer in!  Voila, ta-da, done!

I think it's a pretty good deal for two degrees - essentially, the only tuition fees from TESU add up to - $6822, for a BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing dual AOS and a BA Communications/Liberal Arts Studies (your pick of concentration).  It's in your court, I think you should decide and my recommendation again, skip the BSPS, get the BA Comm.

Yeah I've gone from BA Comm to BA LS to BS Prof Studies. Maybe I'll circle back around and look at the BA Comm again. I wish they had Strategic Comm; that would be ideal. But I think it is mostly the same degree, just not as cool of a name : ) I know for sure that those 9 credits will be used by Comm Theory, and Mass Comm I/II.

Under $7k for two degrees is a winner (even without FAFSA), especially when I get to have about 85% say in what courses are included. So I can choose the courses that best reflect my interest and needs. That's another thing that turns me off about most traditional degrees--seeing lots of courses that don't reflect my intentions and goals for the degree.

Have you done a capstone? What can you tell me? 

(03-05-2020, 02:32 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 10:05 PM)SCYankee Wrote: I can guess that the capstone is hard work. So I'm not trying to minimize it by asking this. But what's so hard about a capstone? Can you clarify why two of them would be a daunting prospect?

A while back I wrote a comparison of the TESU BSBA capstone vs the entire WGU MBA program. Bottom-line. The one TESU capstone course in writing requirements and time spent was 3/4 of the entire WGU MBA program (11 courses). I can't imagine attempting to take two capstones during the same three month term.

FAFSA. You must take Two courses during the same beginning and ending term (3 months), this is considered part-time according to TESU and FAFSA. You won't receive additional TESU COA (cost of attendance) if you take more than 2 courses per term. You will receive more pell grant funds (if you qualify), however, the expenses of taking more than 2 courses will cause you to lose any gains from additional pell grant funding (i.e. TESU course cost ).

The TESU BSBA is a good program, and you can really supercharge it with great electives. Unlike WGU, I can transfer in almost all credits. So 11 courses is twice as many as I intend to take at the U.

So I would have to take two capstones at once? Wht both at the same time? Why not two courses, then a cornerstone and a capstone, then a final course and capstone?

And can you please tell me more about what comprises the capstone? At this point, it's just a word to me. What is involved?
Working towards:
The BS in Professional Studies is actually a generic degree, a step above Liberal Studies.  It is a degree targeted at those who already have a number of existing credits that don't fit a given concentration degree, nor for Liberal Studies or the BSBA. (often based in non-traditional business subjects, such as "Real Estate" for example - there was a person on this forum a ways back who had a bunch of those and went this route).  A 'BA in Communications' will hold more weight than a 'BS in Professional Studies'.  

I know it has been suggested but why not the Dual AOS BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing and then if communication is your thing get a master in communication (or Amberton has a very flexible Master of Arts in Professional Development - a forum member made a detailed posting about it here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-graduated)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • SCYankee
(03-05-2020, 11:06 AM)allvia Wrote: The BS in Professional Studies is actually a generic degree, a step above Liberal Studies.  It is a degree targeted at those who already have a number of existing credits that don't fit a given concentration degree, nor for Liberal Studies or the BSBA. (often based in non-traditional business subjects, such as "Real Estate" for example - there was a person on this forum a ways back who had a bunch of those and went this route).  A 'BA in Communications' will hold more weight than a 'BS in Professional Studies'.  

I know it has been suggested but why not the Dual AOS BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing and then if communication is your thing get a master in communication (or Amberton has a very flexible Master of Arts in Professional Development - a forum member made a detailed posting about it here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-graduated)

That's what I guessed about the Prof Studies--just a catch-all. Not preferable, but a good way to conglomerate varied interests at the undergrad level. 

I have my sites set on Amberton or Liberty for the Master in Comm. That's the next goal. It's definitely the subject I want to pursue further, with a healthy does of English/writing thrown in. But I haven't said much since it's still early in the game, and things can change. I've seen the MA Pro Studies option, though, and I think it's a very strong "Plan B" if I make it that far Smile
Working towards:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 589 5 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 129 6 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 615 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 536 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 275 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 252 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 404 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 311 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az