Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on second bachelors
I'm finishing up my grad program in early August and am planning on knocking out another bachelors while I apply for PhD programs. I got accepted for this cycle but didn't get any funding  Sad . So I want to keep busy and and do a BA in History or Political Science to keep busy and do a fun capstone project. I wanted to know if I can start knocking out exams now for the next bachelors or do I need to wait till my MSL is conferred to do so?

Thanks Y'all!
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
What exams? Have you figured out what school you're applying to for the second bachelor's? That's the first step. You don't need to wait for your MSL to confer.
UMPI could be a good place to get another degree. $1400 per session (2 months). Since you have a prior Bachelor's, you'd be waived from having to complete GEC requirements.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Did you graduate COSC with the RA requirements in place? Basically, you can continue on with COSC and pay the extra capstone course, transfer in the rest using ACE courses and see if that would work for you, like a BSGS with a History concentration... that would most likely be the cheapest, easiest, and fastest option as you're just using mainly alternative credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-21-2022, 01:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did you graduate COSC with the RA requirements in place? Basically, you can continue on with COSC and pay the extra capstone course, transfer in the rest using ACE courses and see if that would work for you, like a BSGS with a History concentration... that would most likely be the cheapest, easiest, and fastest option as you're just using mainly alternative credits.

Unfortunately, COSC does not accept most of the the Study.com History courses any longer, and no UL ones at all;  and they don't take NCCRS; UExcel is going away. So I'm not seeing how you could get a History degree there at all inexpensively.

TESU will not require the cornerstone, so you could conceivably get a degree there.  But I'm not certain I'd spend thousands of dollars on an unneeded degree just to "keep busy." I would think you could find a better option; either a master's program, or some free CC courses, or MOOC's or something like that.  Seems like a waste to spend money on this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-21-2022, 11:58 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What exams? Have you figured out what school you're applying to for the second bachelor's? That's the first step. You don't need to wait for your MSL to confer.
I'm moving more in a history direction because it seems a little easier to swing.

Clep - History and Social Science, pre civil war history, world civ 1 and French (if I go UMPI)

DSST - Rise and Fall of USSR, Vietnam War and History of Civil War

Uexcel - world Conflicts of the 1900s and World Population (really wanted to do cultural diversity but the sitting fee is $355)

Saylor - The Polisci exams that still have ACE credit...(worth a shot)

Some Coopersmith upper level History (already know it won't work at cosc)

I'm thinking COSC, TESU or UMPI. From what I gather its a little more opaque whether I can do a second bachelors at excelsior. I got an email from a random admissions counselor after signing up for a couple uexcels so I replied with my situation. If I hear back and its positive I'll apply their as well since its free.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
(06-21-2022, 06:31 PM)withrown Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 11:58 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What exams? Have you figured out what school you're applying to for the second bachelor's? That's the first step. You don't need to wait for your MSL to confer.
I'm moving more in a history direction because it seems a little easier to swing.

Clep - History and Social Science, pre civil war history, world civ 1 and French (if I go UMPI)

Uexcel - world Conflicts of the 1900s and World Population (really wanted to do cultural diversity but the sitting fee is $355)

I'm thinking COSC, TESU or UMPI. From what I gather its a little more opaque whether I can do a second bachelors at excelsior. I got an email from a random admissions counselor after signing up for a couple uexcels so I replied with my situation. If I hear back and its positive I'll apply their as well since its free.

History DSST's are all LL now.
Saylor PoliSci courses are all LL.
UExcel World Population is a SOC course, and I know it comes in as SOC at TESU and EC. So only World Conflicts is UL History.
ONU has UL History course for $150 (HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics) and counts for UL and non-western at TESU.
Coopersmith has 2 UL History courses that for sure come in as UL at TESU; no idea about EC.
Study.com only has LL at EC for history; TESU is better for that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-21-2022, 01:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did you graduate COSC with the RA requirements in place? Basically, you can continue on with COSC and pay the extra capstone course, transfer in the rest using ACE courses and see if that would work for you, like a BSGS with a History concentration... that would most likely be the cheapest, easiest, and fastest option as you're just using mainly alternative credits.
There on the radar as they still offer some upper level credit for DSSTs

(06-21-2022, 06:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Unfortunately, COSC does not accept most of the the Study.com History courses any longer, and no UL ones at all;  and they don't take NCCRS; UExcel is going away. So I'm not seeing how you could get a History degree there at all inexpensively.

TESU will not require the cornerstone, so you could conceivably get a degree there.  But I'm not certain I'd spend thousands of dollars on an unneeded degree just to "keep busy." I would think you could find a better option; either a master's program, or some free CC courses, or MOOC's or something like that.  Seems like a waste to spend money on this.

point taken but, an additional masters degree that would fit in my timeframe would be online. While I find standardized testing fun, I find online degrees pretty boring. I've considered random cc classes but just not a whole lot of classes that sound interesting. Not interested in MOOCs, I'll need to be enrolled somewhere at the bare minimum to stay at the student researcher level for conferences and mentorship programs in the societies I'm in.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
I think continuing with graduate-level work might be more likely to get you funding than a second bachelor's degree.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(06-21-2022, 06:31 PM)withrown Wrote:

You definitely need to pick a school before taking any exams. UExcels are going away so forget them. Excelsior will require you to complete 30 UL credits. The must be completed after your first bachelor's degree is conferred and yes all 30 MUST be upper level. For a second bachelor's I'd look at UMPI or TESU. I know at UMPI you will not need to fill the GEC or the general electives. You'll need to complete 30 credits (LL and UL) at UMPI in the major/minor. Excelsior does not want to give second bachelor's degrees. I tried a year or so ago and was given the run around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 321 1 hour ago
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 203 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 560 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 525 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Planning help for Bachelors in Healthcare Administration Danyr09 9 473 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Danyr09
  Best option for bachelors Taochoa90 1 243 02-20-2024, 04:12 AM
  Degree Planning - From Bachelors to Doctorate fromgedtoPhD 13 877 02-16-2024, 10:33 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 9 679 01-04-2024, 05:24 PM
Question I found this Forum and am now Inspired to get a Bachelors, Please Advise! nicecoolego 12 1,230 12-03-2023, 12:20 AM
Last Post: nicecoolego
  Coroner degree pathways? Second bachelors hr99 7 535 11-12-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Lady_Gumshoe