Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Capstone Registration
I'm seriously about to lose it with TESU. My academic evaluation was finally completed last friday (after a week of daily phone calls and emails) and it looked like I'd have the green light to register for the March Capstone. That is, until today when I received the email below:

"Permission to register for BUS-421, Business Administration Capstone, will not be granted at this time. Students must have 100 credits or more applied to his/her degree program and all of the requirements in the following areas satisfied: English Composition I & II, the Core and Area of Study."

Is this new? I feel like every time I speak with someone at TESU I received different and conflicting answers. The only requirements that I'm seeing on the TESU website that must be met prior to enrolling the in Capstone is 100 credits and a GPA of 2.0. 

Am I missing something?
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
(02-26-2019, 03:04 PM)AMRH94 Wrote: I'm seriously about to lose it with TESU. My academic evaluation was finally completed last friday (after a week of daily phone calls and emails) and it looked like I'd have the green light to register for the March Capstone. That is, until today when I received the email below:

"Permission to register for BUS-421, Business Administration Capstone, will not be granted at this time. Students must have 100 credits or more applied to his/her degree program and all of the requirements in the following areas satisfied: English Composition I & II, the Core and Area of Study."

Is this new? I feel like every time I speak with someone at TESU I received different and conflicting answers. The only requirements that I'm seeing on the TESU website that must be met prior to enrolling the in Capstone is 100 credits and a GPA of 2.0. 

Am I missing something?

From what I understand, the requirements are that you must have at least 100 credits on your evaluation, including the majority (all but maybe 1-2 courses) of your Core/AOS courses complete. By that point, students should already have English Comp complete, so I usually don't mention that requirement, but yes, you need to have passed those courses with at least a CR/C.

So, that sounds right. With the exception that they are saying that you need ALL your Core/AOS courses complete, which is usually not required. The website doesn't list the complete requirements, but an email was sent out via email to current students at one time with the additional details.

Even if it wasn't a requirement I'd suggest completing the English Comp courses first considering that the Capstone courses are all about academic writing.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Of course. I currently have English Composition I & II complete, as well as all of my core. I just have three of the UL accounting courses plus the Capstone to finish. 

So I'm basically being told that I need 117 credits transferred in and evaluated prior to registering for the Capstone.
Is there a must that you need to register for this Capstone? Would the April or May Capstone work for you?
If so, you can complete the later capstone once you have most if not all your requirements completed already.
Here are the graduation dates, take the capstone corresponding to when you want to graduate:
Link: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-26-2019, 03:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Is there a must that you need to register for this Capstone?  Would the April or May Capstone work for you?
If so, you can complete the later capstone once you have most if not all your requirements completed already.
Here are the graduation dates, take the capstone corresponding to when you want to graduate:  
Link: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

What frustrates me is that TESU makes random changes without informing their current students or updating their website or catalog. 

If the new Capstone policy is that ALL of the Core and AOS courses must be completed prior to registering, one would think that TESU's academic advisers would be aware of this change. I was told just last week that as long as I have 100 credit hours applied to my program and a minimum GPA of 2.0, I'd be able to register for the Capstone. This is what the university catalog says: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/capstone-policy
In your shoes, I would go ahead and ask to have the capstone unlocked. They might well go ahead and do it. It seems clear that TESU's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-26-2019, 05:22 PM)davewill Wrote: In your shoes, I would go ahead and ask to have the capstone unlocked. They might well go ahead and do it. It seems clear that TESU's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I did. The email I posted above from TESU was in response to my request to have the Capstone unlocked. 

I have no problem whatsoever with the 100 credit hour requirement since it's clearly posted on the website and they did, eventually, inform their students of the change. But the additional restrictions of having the Core and AOS 100% complete prior to registering for the Capstone is nowhere to be found on the website or catalog. I'm guessing that this isn't actually a university policy, but rather the arbitrary decision of an uninformed adviser. I'll now have to spend the next week sending emails and following up with daily phone calls to hopefully get a response back. 

This is nuts. I should have chosen WGU. If I wasn't so close I would seriously consider switching.
They seem to do what they want out of nowhere. It's the same situation now with the cornerstone course. It's not supposed to be in effect until July, yet it's now in effect for people applying after Jan 1, 2019.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • AwardTour
I'm with you, I'd be very frustrated. I'm not sure what you can do about it, as pointing out to them their own policies clearly written on the website and in the catalog isn't working. You'd think they would want to have better customer service, but nothing I've ever seen has shown me that this was the case.

Honestly, I'd just finish the AOS courses, transfer everything in, take the capstone, and get the heck out of there ASAP. How infuriating.

I graduated from there, but honestly, I'm not going to be advising anyone to go there any longer. They are just ridiculously inept at this point. It saddens me to say that, but with their terrible customer service, going completely against their catalog and website, and the cost of the degree, I'm done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour, fork
I had sent an email request to the registrar at TESU, about expediting the academic evaluation process for me, so I can enrol for the Capstone. Today, I received an email that it is done. I logged on to see that they have missed evaluating one very important 3-credit UL course from study.com!! I had planned with my advisor for this to be part of my AOS. Also, one of the 2-credit TEEX courses which I completed way back in September and transferred back then itself, has been chucked out of my academic evaluation, as there are currently more than 120 credits planned in my evaluation. As a result, it shows that I currently only have 95 credits, instead of 100! This is quite frustrating, but I guess these oversights are due to some automatic computer program that evaluates credits? I have written to them again, asking to check the study.com transcript well, and include the upper level course. And also bring in the TEEX course, and chuck out some other unfinished course for the time being.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,528 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 605 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 499 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 521 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,322 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 248 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 546 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az