Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Cornerstone SOS-110 Automatic Enrollment Outdated?
BSBA Degree Plan...

I plan to take alt credits after enrolling in the Medical Terminology TECEP in order to become a fully enrolled TESU student and gain access to evaluations. After reading some older posts mentioning automatic enrollment in the cornerstone course SOS-110 when enrolling for other TESU courses, I wanted to see if that still occurs today when trying to enroll in the Med Term TECEP or not.

Separately, I wanted to ask about the Med Term enrollment to become a student of TESU. After enrolling for the course and paying the $50, would I need to just let the course expire or is there another step required? Does that result in a failed course?

Thank you.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
You are not automatically enrolled in the cornerstone if you enroll in the TECEP. I don't know if you are automatically enrolled if you sign up for any class, but you're fine to sign up for the TECEP.

Signing up for, and then not taking, the TECEP does nothing to your record. If you don't take it, it will eventually just disappear from your transcript. That said, if you are planning on taking any StraighterLine courses, another TECEP, or courses from TESU that have an exam, you might want to attempt the Medical Terminology exam just to familiarize yourself with ProctorU and the testing environment. There is no penalty for failing the TECEP - you will still become a fully enrolled student regardless of whether or not you pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • schristian10
(07-26-2021, 11:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You are not automatically enrolled in the cornerstone if you enroll in the TECEP. I don't know if you are automatically enrolled if you sign up for any class, but you're fine to sign up for the TECEP.

Signing up for, and then not taking, the TECEP does nothing to your record. If you don't take it, it will eventually just disappear from your transcript. That said, if you are planning on taking any StraighterLine courses, another TECEP, or courses from TESU that have an exam, you might want to attempt the Medical Terminology exam just to familiarize yourself with ProctorU and the testing environment. There is no penalty for failing the TECEP - you will still become a fully enrolled student regardless of whether or not you pass.

Thanks for your reply.

Does not taking the Med Term course involve just not interacting with the course, or not signing up for a test? I'm not familiar with any interface yet, so your advice was very welcome regarding taking the exam for practice! Thank you.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Not taking the Medical Terminology exam involves signing up for it and then forgetting that it exists. There is nothing more that you need to do. If you need instructions on how to sign up, check out this page on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TE...structions
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • schristian10
(07-27-2021, 04:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Not taking the Medical Terminology exam involves signing up for it and then forgetting that it exists. There is nothing more that you need to do. If you need instructions on how to sign up, check out this page on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TE...structions

Thank you! I feel as though my questions might have been too elementary after learning the answers. Do TECEP credits count toward the 16 required TESU credits to remove the Residency Waiver Fee?
TECEPs only count towards residency credits if you are active military. Otherwise, only courses and ePacks count. If you check the wiki page about TESU, there are some suggested courses for meeting the residency requirements as easily as possible.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • schristian10
(07-27-2021, 05:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TECEPs only count towards residency credits if you are active military. Otherwise, only courses and ePacks count. If you check the wiki page about TESU, there are some suggested courses for meeting the residency requirements as easily as possible.

I believe I may have mistook the Medical Terminology course for a TECEP, unless there are two versions? Med Term is on the wiki recommended list for RA credits.
There are two versions, yes. One is a TECEP. One is a course. Both are worth RA credits (though, only electives for most degrees). The course is graded, the TECEP is pass/fail. The course costs $519. The TECEP costs $50.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • schristian10
tagging on some info to make sure OP isn't lost in alphabet soup.

RA means Regional Accreditation credits.  It is not the same thing being talked about as "residency credits" at TESU (or other specific place).

and maybe this needs to be said too: if you take the Med Term COURSE, you need to take the course. Otherwise you get an F.  It is the TECEP version (which is a credit by exam thing) that's the one that can expire at end of term without a negative grade, or taken and given credit.

and on the original question: I've not heard that anyone is automatically enrolled in SOS 110.  Everyone has to take it (unless they are on an older catalog and already enrolled years ago) and when you take it is up to you, so you manually enroll.  A year ago, I had to manually sign up for it.  And if I read my evaluation correctly, I needed to take 3 credits at TESU to stay active for a 1 year.  The TECEP that is one credit lets one get extra evals while bringing in other courses. But I needed more than 1 credit in a 12 month time.
make sure you take SOS110 or another course if you need the 3 credits like I did. 
That was shown in a section of the eval called "next steps." It stated on mine that I needed 3 credits every 12 months to stay enrolled. That may not apply to everyone.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • schristian10
(07-28-2021, 06:47 AM)P226mem Wrote: tagging on some info to make sure OP isn't lost in alphabet soup.

RA means Regional Accreditation credits.  It is not the same thing being talked about as "residency credits" at TESU (or other specific place).

and maybe this needs to be said too: if you take the Med Term COURSE, you need to take the course. Otherwise you get an F.  It is the TECEP version (which is a credit by exam thing) that's the one that can expire at end of term without a negative grade, or taken and given credit.

and on the original question:  I've not heard that anyone is automatically enrolled in SOS 110.  Everyone has to take it (unless they are on an older catalog and already enrolled years ago) and when you take it is up to you, so you manually enroll.  A year ago, I had to manually sign up for it.  And if I read my evaluation correctly, I needed to take 3 credits at TESU to stay active for a 1 year.  The TECEP that is one credit lets one get extra evals while bringing in other courses. But I needed more than 1 credit in a 12 month time.
make sure you take SOS110 or another course if you need the 3 credits like I did. 
That was shown in a section of the eval called "next steps." It stated on mine that I needed 3 credits every 12 months to stay enrolled. That may not apply to everyone.

Thank you for your input. I found it very valuable!

Do you know if RA credits from one geographic, regionally accredited school would transfer to and count towards TESU's RA credits? I have 15 credits from an regionally accredited community college in Kansas, which is accredited by a separate regional body.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 786 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch