Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU GPA, how many courses
How many TESU courses do you need to take in order to have a GPA that can be verified by your employer.

I may be planning a second bachelors, on this degree I will transfer most of the credits (CLEP, SL, Study.com or other) but
I would like to know how many courses will I need to take with TESU because one requirement for some promotions is to
have a high GPA.
(04-03-2019, 04:59 PM)ronaldemail1 Wrote: How many TESU courses do you need to take in order to have a GPA that can be verified by your employer.

I may be planning a second bachelors, on this degree I will transfer most of the credits (CLEP, SL, Study.com or other) but
I would like to know how many courses will I need to take with TESU because one requirement for some promotions is to
have a high GPA.

Technically you only need one graded course to have a GPA.

If you graduate from TESU, you are required to take at least one course (the capstone). For recent students, you'll have a second required course (the cornerstone, SOS-110). Each of these courses has a letter grade so the GPA that appears on your final transcript will be based on the results of those courses.

So, for example, if you get an A (4.0) in your cornerstone course and a B (3.0) in your capstone course, your final institutional GPA at TESU will be 3.5.

Also, keep in mind that all transfer credits come into TESU without a grade so they don't influence your institutional GPA. They will show on the transcript with any grades assigned by the former school, but those grades don't apply to your TESU GPA.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
also, anyone who cares about your GPA will probably look at your transcript.

This might not be relevant to you if all of your other credit is from alternative non-graded sources, but for other folks.... They won't be fooled if they see courses from other schools whose grades aren't reflected. your 1 or 2 course 4.0 won't mean much to them if they're not seeing those other school's transcripts. If everything else is alt-credit without an actual grade though, then who knows how they'll view that. That'll depend entirely on the employer.

The good news is, for most fields, no one cares about your GPA (with some exceptions). Especially once you have a few years of experience.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(04-03-2019, 06:21 PM)Merlin Wrote: For recent students, you'll have a second required course (the cornerstone, SOS-110).

The new SOS-110 cornerstone adds to your GPA. At I think $300, it's a decent price for this purpose. For those enrolled before January 2019, do you think we can still take this course for the Information Literacy requirement?

(04-03-2019, 06:29 PM)jsd Wrote: They won't be fooled if they see courses from other schools whose grades aren't reflected. your 1 or 2 course 4.0 won't mean much to them if they're not seeing those other school's transcripts.

I'm thinking of actually compiling the transcripts of my bigger credit-only courses—such as with Coopersmith, BYU-IS and so on. If you have solid grades, that should work out in your favour?
(04-03-2019, 06:33 PM)pws Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 06:21 PM)Merlin Wrote: For recent students, you'll have a second required course (the cornerstone, SOS-110).

The new SOS-110 cornerstone adds to your GPA. At I think $300, it's a decent price for this purpose. For those enrolled before January 2019, do you think we can still take this course for the Information Literacy requirement?

Yes, it does. However, the new cornerstone (SOS-110) is a full 3-credit course and runs $1,098 (or $1,125) after Study.com discount (or $1,498 without) and fulfills the Information Literacy requirement.

If you enrolled before Jan 1st, you can take the old TES-100 cornerstone for $300 and you'll still need to take a second course to meet your Information Literacy requirement. For that, I recommend the Study.com Information Literacy course since its much quicker and less expensive. You could take SOS-110 from TESU instead, but you'll spend 12-weeks and pay over $1,000 for it. At that point, you might as well not take TES-100 at all.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • pws
(04-03-2019, 06:44 PM)Merlin Wrote: Yes, it does. However, the new cornerstone (SOS-110) is a full 3-credit course and runs $1,098 (or $1,125) after Study.com discount (or $1,498 without) and fulfills the Information Literacy requirement.

Oh, confused the new cornerstone price with the old cornerstone price. At that amount, it is better to take any of TESU's other courses that interest you.
You don't have a choice to take other courses in lieu of the new cornerstone.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
If we plan for Masters at some other university, will TESU GPA with just 2 courses work?
I was advised by the registrar office to take atleast 16 credits and have my residency waiver fee waived.
They advised me to have my Area of Study courses taken at TESU.
I would like to keep my cost at a minimum, but also have plans to do MS from a different university.
Need advice from someone who did undergrad at TESU and had a hassle free grads admission
People always ask that question, and there's no way to answer that question generically because it depends completely on the target school's admissions requirements, which vary greatly.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(04-05-2019, 08:00 PM)contactuj Wrote: If we plan for Masters at some other university, will TESU GPA with just 2 courses work?
I was advised by the registrar office to take atleast 16 credits and have my residency waiver fee waived.
They advised me to have my Area of Study courses taken at TESU.
I would like to keep my cost at a minimum, but also have plans to do MS from a different university.
Need advice from someone who did undergrad at TESU and had a hassle free grads admission

As has been stated multiple times, if you're concerned you should always check what the program admission requirements are for the specific degree you're interested in. They will state if there are specific degree requirements, course requirement, GPA requirements, or anything else you need before you apply. Once you have that information you can work backward to create (or modify) your degree plan and courses to meet those requirements.

Not all schools are competitive or have strict requirements. I'm in an MBA program right now and I only have a handful of graded credits on my transcript (I have 3 courses from CC level at a 3.0 GPA plus 1 course from TESU at a 4.0 GPA). But I meet the other requirements because of my degree and work experience.

Once I finish this degree, my plan is to apply to the Georgia Tech Masters in CS program or move onto a Ph.D. program in management. I think my chances are pretty good since in addition to the undergrad degrees (and the MBA I'll have at that point), I also have a great resume with 30 years of experience, many notable achievements, plus great references. The latter items will probably factor higher into the chances of my admission than my academic credentials, which are just the checkbox needed to qualify to apply in the first place.

In any case, admissions to highly competitive schools is all about the total package. Graded credits, GPA, and GRE/GMAT/LSAT scores are only part of the equation. The rest is all about the applicant, their background/resume, references, and how convincing they can be to the admissions team that they will add value to the student body.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • contactuj

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,358 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 533 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 459 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 482 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 236 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 378 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 307 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 426 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az